SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

Just now, UND-1 said:

What did Goon say to the Red Wings that pissed off the Mafia?  Huh?

Redwing77 will write things on Goon's blog from time to time. If you don't notice who wrote it you'd think it was Goon, MafiaMan happened to correct me and then I noticed the mistake on thinking Goon wrote it.

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Lemme guess...another former North Dakotan who grew up in Grand Forks, Fargo, or Bismarck, who feels that anything west of New Salem Sue may as well be gifted to Montana.  Not all of us dumb country folk who grew up in the SW corner of the state were or would be thrilled with the idea of going to college more than 100+ miles away from home.  

The idea of closing entire universities and colleges so we can fund a floundering athletics program for roughly 30 athletes at the flagship school is so preposterous, it doesn't even merit discussion.

I feel targeted here.:D

Grew up for the most part in Bismarck(with stops in Hillsboro, Valley City, Litchville, and Linton)

Went to school in Grand Forks.

Live in Fargo.

Am I supposed to be triggered?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Uj32C20JCA

2 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Redwing77 will write things on Goon's blog from time to time. If you don't notice who wrote it you'd think it was Goon, MafiaMan happened to correct me and then I noticed the mistake on thinking Goon wrote it.

Got it.  My mistake, my bad.  My apologies.

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Got it.  My mistake, my bad.  My apologies.

I made the mistake too. Most of the stuff is by Goon so you over look who wrote it and just assume it was Goon.

He been quiet on the issue for the most part.

The elimination of WIH and any other sport at UND was unfortunate, but necessary.

In a completely separate statewide higher ed conversation, Dakota College at Bottineau should be closed immediately.  Mayville, Valley City, and Lake Region need to start coming up with reasons to justify their existence.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, cberkas said:

You should have known right away that Goon didn't write the article...no typos.;)

• Upvote 3

Outside the Grand Forks bubble, does anyone else in the state even care about this issue of women's hockey being cut?

Once the Lamoureux's "15 minutes" is up, who is going to continue to fight for the program's survival?

And who will bring the checkbook?

43 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

The elimination of WIH and any other sport at UND was unfortunate, but necessary.

In a completely separate statewide higher ed conversation, Dakota College at Bottineau should be closed immediately.  Mayville, Valley City, and Lake Region need to start coming up with reasons to justify their existence.

Easy to close something that is not in our backyard - Mayville has set attendance records in recent years. We may have a lot of small colleges in our state, and perhaps too many but what they provide is access to higher education. I saw a plan once to coordinate them so they become feeder programs for the larger Universities and thus help reduce the drop out rate a win/win, but politics always comes into play. While this conversation needs to be had - it has nothing to do with dropping a niche program that loses millions of dollars and has very little impact on the quality of an education at UND> 

• Upvote 3

I hate to interrupt the circle jerk in here, but the point you guys are missing is that some people think it’s important that college hockey be available to girls->women. I agree with them. I may not have ten years ago when I was saltier and a little more conservative, but now that I have a slightly different worldview and a baby girl I absolutely think women’s hockey at UND shouldn’t go down without a fight. I’m sick of career administrators making the “tough decisions” while making a buttload of dough and then retiring to Colorado or wherever and not giving two sh*ts about the tough decisions they made.

It’s easy to point to the dollars and cents and say that hockey needed to get the axe – but the opinion of the people wanting to save the program is that a $1.3M deficit can be made up a number of ways, and eliminating a program at what we like to consider the premier hockey school in the country isn’t how they would have done it. Does the women’s team live a little large for the revenue it brings in? Absolutely. Do we need to prioritize Olympians (some foreign) over local players and budgets? No. Could we cut the WH budget by 30% and make some deeper administrative cuts to make up the difference? I think so. Doesn’t take too much senior-level “reorganization” to free up a decent chunk of change to allow UND to provide an opportunity for girls to grow up dreaming of putting on the green and white. 

This website has gotten hard to read for someone with different opinions. There is rarely true discussion; it’s all piling on, name calling, and mildly-to-moderately flawed logic getting passed around between the same 10 usernames. I think the nickname situation just has all UND fans itchin’ for a scrap, regardless of topic! Go Sioux!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

I hate to interrupt the circle jerk in here, but the point you guys are missing is that some people think it’s important that college hockey be available to girls->women. I agree with them. I may not have ten years ago when I was saltier and a little more conservative, but now that I have a slightly different worldview and a baby girl I absolutely think women’s hockey at UND shouldn’t go down without a fight. I’m sick of career administrators making the “tough decisions” while making a buttload of dough and then retiring to Colorado or wherever and not giving two sh*ts about the tough decisions they made.

It’s easy to point to the dollars and cents and say that hockey needed to get the axe – but the opinion of the people wanting to save the program is that a $1.3M deficit can be made up a number of ways, and eliminating a program at what we like to consider the premier hockey school in the country isn’t how they would have done it. Does the women’s team live a little large for the revenue it brings in? Absolutely. Do we need to prioritize Olympians (some foreign) over local players and budgets? No. Could we cut the WH budget by 30% and make some deeper administrative cuts to make up the difference? I think so. Doesn’t take too much senior-level “reorganization” to free up a decent chunk of change to allow UND to provide an opportunity for girls to grow up dreaming of putting on the green and white. 

This website has gotten hard to read for someone with different opinions. There is rarely true discussion; it’s all piling on, name calling, and mildly-to-moderately flawed logic getting passed around between the same 10 usernames. I think the nickname situation just has all UND fans itchin’ for a scrap, regardless of topic! Go Sioux!

While I do think the decision to cut WH was the right one, I agree with you on the current tone and atmosphere of this discussion forum. It is one thing to disagree with the Lamoreaux twins about this, it is quite another to make this personal by being mean, nasty and vindictive about differing viewpoints. The message is basically to "sit down and shut up". Well, I don't think the Lamoreaux twins owe us anything. If they want to petition Kennedy to reinstate WH, they have the right to do so.

• Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, Kermit's Luck said:

It sure didn't take long for you to add to the piling on and name calling, did it?  

I hate to break the news to you, but college hockey still IS available to young women.  It's just not available at the University of North Dakota.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, petey23 said:

What about Gymnastics?

ND has as many high schools that sponsor Gymnastics as Girl's Hockey. Should UND or NDSU have to offer Gymnastics so that our girls have something to stride for?

Gymnastics might turn a profit.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kermit's Luck said:

Per Rule 7 of @MafiaMan handbook, there will be no circle jerks unless there is a  Friday win by the Men's Hockey team and they must include a mimosa.  This must happen on the Saturday morning following the Friday win.  Article 3 of this rule is that this event can't happen at the Hoggsbreath, per his trying to get a clarification of this rule and the waitress forth giving a slap of the his face. (Poor Mafiaman just wanted a clarification and left with a pack of ice on his face)  So with this being said, guess we will have to wait until sometime in Oct. to get the Mimosa and talk further of this subject.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

I am waiting for the WH supporters/players/staff to present a plan that shows what could be done to save the program.  They have said they are going to do that but I am sure it will take time, that is a bunch of money.  

Well he already addressed that.  Just cut the unnamed, likely already laid off or demoted, boogeymen administrators. 

1 hour ago, Kermit's Luck said:

So you're saying 10 years ago you would have felt the same as most of us.  Nice that you can admit you're a hypocrite and are only looking out for number one.  Guess that is what the University is doing as well. 

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

While I do think the decision to cut WH was the right one, I agree with you on the current tone and atmosphere of this discussion forum. It is one thing to disagree with the Lamoreaux twins about this, it is quite another to make this personal by being mean, nasty and vindictive about differing viewpoints. The message is basically to "sit down and shut up". Well, I don't think the Lamoreaux twins owe us anything. If they want to petition Kennedy to reinstate WH, they have the right to do so.

The Lammy twins are big girls.  I think they can take some criticism.  I doubt they read this message board, so you can be rest assured that their feelings are't being hurt.  

• Upvote 2