SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

4 minutes ago, snooty89 said:

As an alum this is embarrassing.  At what point do the cuts stop?  What else is there to be cut.  Everyone assumes that certain sports make profit to cover the losses of the others, but what will be left in a few years?  Football Hockey and Men's and Women's Basketball?  Has volleyball been cut yet?  I really have no idea at this point.  Have had a really !@#!$ run of presidents since I graduated.  This one will be known for cutting sports as the last will be for retiring the Sioux name.

It's pure economics.  You may end up saying the same about your country when the out of control spending hits a point of no return.  The cuts that will need to be made then will end up hurting you a lot worse.  Did you plan to ever retire?

1 minute ago, mksioux said:

I agree.  The alternative to cutting women's hockey would have involved cutting additional women's sports that undoubtedly would have involved a greater number of female athletes.  By the numbers, this was a no-brainer decision.  It reached the budget goal while cutting the fewest number of athletes as possible, all while bringing the school back into Title IX compliance.  Nobody has presented a coherent argument on why women's ice hockey players should have been protected more than other female athletes at UND.

It also did not affect any sports that are in or will be in Big Sky/Summit. Leaves UND as a leaving full member of Big Sky where we can win conference title, and prevents a possible breach of contract with Summit if it included certain sports in agreement to offer.

2 minutes ago, mksioux said:

I agree.  The alternative to cutting women's hockey would have involved cutting additional women's sports that undoubtedly would have involved a greater number of female athletes.  By the numbers, this was a no-brainer decision.  It reached the budget goal while cutting the fewest number of athletes as possible, all while bringing the school back into Title IX compliance.  Nobody has presented a coherent argument on why women's ice hockey players should have been protected more than other female athletes at UND.

How about the eight Olympians it produced for the last Olympics? I would guess beyond men's hockey no other sport at UND has/will produce Olympians.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Just now, WiSioux said:

How about the eight Olympians it produced for the last Olympics? I would guess beyond men's hockey no other sport at UND has/will produce Olympians.

Swimming and diving could have, but you don't care about them.  Dickinson has had track and field Olympians, so outside of academic qualifications, no reason UND can't do the same.

Also, regarding the WIH Olympians, if a tree falls in the forest and nobody is around to hear it, did it make a sound?

• Upvote 4

This was a business decision IMO and one that had to be made! I look at this as a good thing since there are other big player sports at UND that might get more money to up the ante now, MBB,WBB, and what can this do to help the path Bubba has the FB team going in now! I think this is a smart move, unfortunate for WIH but what else could they do, keep digging a hole so you don't hurt the students in women's hockey?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I am so proud of my university today. They  made the best decision possible for the school and the athletic department. These cuts do hurt many athletes but the cuts were needed. UND never needed that many sports.

this move may be to motivate rich alumni to sustain the programs with their money. If these alumni care that much about the sports they will raise the money to keep them. 

Proud of what Kennedy has done so far!

The university tried a fundraising campaign around winter break, i barely saw it promoted by most sports. Also alumni kept repeated they would not donate to the school once nickname was retired. I am upset that the name was changed too, but if we didn't do it the NCAA could've/would've prevented us from all Championship competition. No NCAA Tourney for MIH, MBB, FB, VolleyBall etc.

People also need to remember that athletics is just one part of the university taking budget cuts. The university as a whole is as well. The School of Medicine and School of Law both have their own budgets that gets their budget cuts without a chance of spreading it out to other programs on campus. Med School announced budget cuts shortly before athletics today.

5 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

Not that it matters, but can anyone name more than 2 if I spot you a Lam and a Roo? 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

Take a step back from the ledge. This will greatly benefit other sports down the road. I enjoyed winning 4 major championships this year and this move increases the probability of similar success in the future.

Clearly cutting these sports will cause the players in these other sports to perform better.  Just because the current president says there will be no more cuts doesn't mean he knows what his budget will be in the future.  Once they are cut they are cut.  Just like a job taking away perks.  Once they are gone they are likely gone for good.  Rip on me all you want as you all have, but cutting programs is never a good thing. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Wildfan said:

The university tried a fundraising campaign around winter break, i barely saw it promoted by most sports. Also alumni kept repeated they would not donate to the school once nickname was retired. I am upset that the name was changed too, but if we didn't do it the NCAA could've/would've prevented us from all Championship competition. No NCAA Tourney for MIH, MBB, FB, VolleyBall etc.

I believe I've seen it reported that Alumni Foundation revenue has gone up every year since the nickname was retired (not saying donations went up because it was retired, just that they haven't gone down).

1 minute ago, UNDBIZ said:

I believe I've seen it reported that Alumni Foundation revenue has gone up every year since the nickname was retired (not saying donations went up because it was retired, just that they haven't gone down).

Faison says revenue has gone up in his presser as well. But I know i have heard many people state they will no longer donate to the university, now if that is true then the amount of revenue growth is alot smaller than what it would be if they donated, but it is also possible these are folks who will never donate anyway and just want to have a excuse.

22 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The State of ND, the Legislature, and Gov. Bergum's budget, mandated UND Athletics cut $1.3 million. 

You do what the guys who cut the checks for you tell you to do. 

Or make a stand.  Mark hasn't changed much in the last 10 years. Too bad.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Wildfan said:

Faison says revenue has gone up in his presser as well. But I know i have heard many people state they will no longer donate to the university, now if that is true then the amount of revenue growth is alot smaller than what it would be if they donated, but it is also possible these are folks who will never donate anyway and just want to have a excuse.

For the vast majority of them, I'd feel comfortable calling it "probable" rather than "possible."

11 minutes ago, WiSioux said:

It loses 1.4 million dollars a year!  Does producing Olympians make this better?  There is no money.  Simple.

• Upvote 1