SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

The players keep referencing Olympians over and over.  

At what point does having Olympians on the roster actually do something for the UND program?  They love to reference it to justify their 1.9 million dollars in losses but......

14 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

The players keep referencing Olympians over and over.  

At what point does having Olympians on the roster actually do something for the UND program?  They love to reference it to justify their 1.9 million dollars in losses but......

I'm not sure.  At the current rate of 8 Women's Hockey Olympians and $1.9million in program losses this year, each Olympian is costing UND $237,500 per year. 

I'm sure glad we didn't have any more Women's Hockey Olympians!....:)

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

I'm not sure.  At the current rate of 8 Women's Hockey Olympians and $1.9million in program losses this year, each Olympian is costing UND $237,500 per year. 

I'm sure glad we didn't have any more Women's Hockey Olympians!....:)

So you're saying that too MANY Olympians killed the program?  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

L.M.F.A.O.

I have yet to hear them talk about UND cutting women's hockey on the broadcasts, I guess they could have when I'm not paying attention. But they never stop talking about the US teams boycott during the US games.

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

My DVR is set to record all "30 for 30" episodes, so I'd probably watch it.

"What if I told you there once was a womens hockey team whose success rivaled that of UConn's womens basketball team?"

So you're talking about University of Minnesota?

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

And you don't see I'm joking (or do you really think Notre Dame fears his wrath)? :D 

Of course the tiny hostle and offensive irish guy fears Johboy more than Jennifer Aniston  with a shot gun and four leaf clover.

UND isn't being given a whole lot of options of this. Womens hockey is unfortunatly an expensive program that makes very little money, that is generally the problem with womens sports as a whole compareed to mens sports, like basketball and football and in the case of many schools, hockey. However I think that the University system would be better off if it looked to close of the smaller university and colleges in the state system that simply seem to be too small to justify the expense. My closure list would be as follows.

1.Mayville State University

2. Valley State University or Dickinson State Univeristy

3.Dakota College in Bottineau

4.Williston State College

5. Lakes Region State College

3 minutes ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

UND isn't being given a whole lot of options of this. Womens hockey is unfortunatly an expensive program that makes very little money, that is generally the problem with womens sports as a whole compareed to mens sports, like basketball and football and in the case of many schools, hockey. However I think that the University system would be better off if it looked to close of the smaller university and colleges in the state system that simply seem to be too small to justify the expense. My closure list would be as follows.

1.Mayville State University

2. Valley State University or Dickinson State Univeristy

3.Dakota College in Bottineau

4.Williston State College

5. Lakes Region State College

Some of those schools are constitutionally mandated.  The optics on any one of those schools being cut so women's hockey gets saved is far worse than what the twins can muster.

It's so strange that the twins and other WIH proponents haven't even brought up a vastly reduced cost for WIH.  That's what I thought UND would do.  Forget about competing against the Gophers and Badgers and worry about the Beavers.

Just now, SiouxVolley said:

Some of those schools are constitutionally mandated.  The optics on any one of those schools being cut so women's hockey gets saved is far worse than what the twins can muster.

It's so strange that the twins and other WIH proponents haven't even brought up a vastly reduced cost for WIH.  That's what I thought UND would do.  Forget about competing against the Gophers and Badgers and worry about the Beavers.

I would say that it goes way beyond hockey, cutting the womens hockey program is just a synmptom of the fact that it's time to trim the colleges.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

If you assume a 5% return, $32.5 million gets you an annual budget of $1.625 million. 

And good luck getting that...the ND Legacy Fund since inception is at 2.8%....so they'd probably need about $60 Million (and you'd have to find more money to keep up with inflation).

1 hour ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

I would say that it goes way beyond hockey, cutting the womens hockey program is just a synmptom of the fact that it's time to trim the colleges.

The state of North Dakota has more money now that it has ever had...its' not some 60+ year old colleges in small towns that's the issue.

"These colleges" account for about five percent combined of the states budget. The economic benefit of hiring these teachers and educating people in the state is some of the best money the state can spend. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Cratter said:

The state of North Dakota has more money now that it has ever had...its' not some 60+ year old colleges in small towns that's the issue.

"These colleges" account for about five percent combined of the states budget. The economic benefit of hiring these teachers and educating people in the state is some of the best money the state can spend. 

Agree but the state also does have to have a substantial "unknown" pile of money to keep LSS of ND happy...............................................

56 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Lemme guess...another former North Dakotan who grew up in Grand Forks, Fargo, or Bismarck, who feels that anything west of New Salem Sue may as well be gifted to Montana.  Not all of us dumb country folk who grew up in the SW corner of the state were or would be thrilled with the idea of going to college more than 100+ miles away from home.  

The idea of closing entire universities and colleges so we can fund a floundering athletics program for roughly 30 athletes at the flagship school is so preposterous, it doesn't even merit discussion.

.....and this coming from a bumpkin from the Badlands area that is "learned"! 

Well stated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Lemme guess...another former North Dakotan who grew up in Grand Forks, Fargo, or Bismarck, who feels that anything west of New Salem Sue may as well be gifted to Montana.  Not all of us dumb country folk who grew up in the SW corner of the state were or would be thrilled with the idea of going to college more than 100+ miles away from home.  

The idea of closing entire universities and colleges so we can fund a floundering athletics program for roughly 30 athletes at the flagship school is so preposterous, it doesn't even merit discussion.

2630-new-salem-salem-sue-world-s-largest

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

So to keep women's hockey at UND, we eliminate universities in Dickinson and Williston.  Sure, eastern ND, go ahead and enjoy our oil money from the western half of the state, just make sure you $%#* us over first when the wells go dry!

Not too mention that in order for 25 women to be able to play hockey(most, not from the area) we gas Dickinson, Mayville, Valley City and Williston entirely, not too mention the 3-400 athletes at these schools who are in large part local kids.

The fact we had to cut any sports is unfortunate and I feel for the athletes and coaches who have had their lives uprooted, but it is what it is. I take no delight in it, but it's done and I am already tired of the whining.

11 hours ago, ArchyAlum11 said:

The main problem womens hockey has that is within its control, is that there is no checking... and honestly know one can give a good reason for why. Letting the girls check might be a good way to make the game more intresting, and less like squirt hockey game. I realize that womens sports as whole draw less attention than mens sports, but letting the girls play out of the same rule book could help, and it sure as hell wouldn't hurt. the game as a whole

The worst decision The U.S. Women's team made was scheduling games against and getting beat by mediocre Minnesota boys High School teams.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

LOL....

Let's close the doors on college campuses in our state so we can have Womens (European)Hockey at UND....

LOL, the arrogance and complete lack of respect and understanding for their surroundings....it is so self-centered and selfish.

I still can't believe Goon wrote that.  How does he get credentials writing that stuff? Awful.

Goon didn't write it, MafiaMan saw that redwing77 wrote it. I thought it was written by Goon too until MafiaMan said it was redwing77.

Just now, cberkas said:

Goon didn't write it, MafiaMan saw that redwing77 wrote it. I thought it was written by Goon too until MafiaMan said it was redwing77.

What did Goon say to the Red Wings that pissed off the Mafia?  Huh?