SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

I know people want Kennedy and Faison to come out and say how much women's hockey costs and go through the whole budget. That won't change anything and people are still going to want women's hockey reinstated. USA Hockey came out and said they don't pay the men's team, but it didn't stop people from siding with the women's team. They got support from the NHLPA, NBAPA, MLBPA, and the NFLPA, USA Hockey wasn't going to win.

This isn't going to go away and the moment UND talks about adding a sport or building a new athletic facility the people will come out and say add women's hockey or what ever other sport that have been cut.  

47 minutes ago, AJS said:

He could have had a gracious response, but still added a little substance. What's annoying is everyone on this board can see it coming, but apparently those in charge cannot. This isn't just going to go away by playing nice. The response to the email was fine, but it should have come simultaneously with a statement, laying everything out like many have said today, with facts and numbers.  UND is armed with all the ammunition they need to end this right now, the problem is it feels like they have no idea what potentially is about to hit them.

The one thing I've learned in my life is that if you have an opinion, hearing facts that run counter to that opinion rarely change your opinion. Facts won't matter to people who feel they got the shaft. The minority is venting right now but the vast majority fall into two groups.

1. People who understand why it was      cut

2. People who are saying "UND had women's hockey?"

• Upvote 2

I know someone mentioned it earlier, but  just hearing the crickets from REA on the issue should tell even the most uninformed people that cutting WH was the best option.  If the REA wanted to house the program, they would be saying so...

• Upvote 2

And today's on campus protest outside the hpc was expected to have 70+ Student athlete protestors, but just 12 showed up.  Not sure what they were #turningtheirback on.  Appeared to be the parking lot to the north.  The no- shows feared repercussions from UND.  Really? 

In Goon's new article, he mentions that the Sate of North Dakota could have close down a 2 year college and not have cut any sports at UND.

What’s even more hurtful is that these cuts didn’t need to happen.  The sad truth is that, in this case (the budget of ND’s universities) the best thing for the entire system would cost a lot of people their jobs.  North Dakota is simply too small to support as many public colleges and universities as they do.  The right thing to do would have been to close all but the four largest public colleges and universities in the state (Bismark State, Minot State, UND, and NDSU) except maybe keeping NDSCS due to its concentration on trades.  They should also gut satellite campuses altogether and put more money into remote classroom technology.  If they did this, the overhead would decrease to the point where I doubt they’d have to do much cutting at all at the four major universities.  And there’s nothing saying that Mayville or Valley City State or Bottineau etc. couldn’t try going private.

This was actually brought up in Montana by the Governor to balance the budget for the universities in Montana. He proposed that a 2 year college gets shut down to balance the budget for Montana and Montana State.

http://thesportsdaily.com/goonsworld-blog/my-take-on-the-plight-of-und-fringe-athletics/

Edit: Apologies to Goon as MifiaMan pointed out redwing77 wrote it.

13 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Wasn't there supposed to be coaches too? Who was there that you knew as athletes ?

Just saw a pic of backs on the news. Apparently none would show their front,  and refused to be interviewed. Looked like both M & F, so maybe some S and D athletes.  News called it an athlete protest,  other than that i know nothing. 

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I know in the Pres thread there was a breakdown of athletes per sport, was that the latest up to date numbers or is there a new one?

If the one in the thread is the new one, I did a rough calculation on the numbers before and after the cuts to test the first prong of Title IX

The first prong of title IX is: Demonstrate that the percentage of its female athletes is nearly the same as the percentage of female undergraduate students.  So I wanted to see if this was the case

Before: M/F breakdown was 49/51 in favor of F (252 vs 261)

After: M/F breakdown was 52/48 in favor of M  (228 vs 207)

IIRC, UND is usually around 52/48 in undergrad population

So if my numbers are correct UND appears to be right in line with population breakdowns.

MplsBison had these numbers on another forum.

For UND (2015-16 reported data):

Full-time undergrad enrollment:
Male - 4902 (54%)
Female - 4159 (46%)

Yes, there are 11 NDUS institutions and many of them should be shuttered; however, that said, it should be done because they are inefficient or their missions are anachronisms in today's world or it's right for the ND taxpayer, not to save some collegiate fun and games. 

Close an NDUS institution and it had better be for a greater good for the State, the entire State. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Yes, there are 11 NDUS institutions and many of them should be shuttered; however, that said, it should be done because they are inefficient or their missions are anachronisms in today's world or it's right for the ND taxpayer, not to save some collegiate fun and games. 

Close an NDUS institution and it had better be for a greater good for the State, the entire State. 

What if I tell you those fun and games includes 8 Olympians? :)

1 hour ago, sprig said:

And today's on campus protest outside the hpc was expected to have 70+ Student athlete protestors, but just 12 showed up.  Not sure what they were #turningtheirback on.  Appeared to be the parking lot to the north.  The no- shows feared repercussions from UND.  Really? 

12.......TWELVE! Hahaha.

MM used to get more for his Tupperware parties back in the day at UND.

..............not that I ever attended. 

5 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

12.......TWELVE! Hahaha.

MM used to get more for his Tupperware parties back in the day at UND.

..............not that I ever attended. 

First we learn about songs on MM's ipod and now we learn about tupperware parties?!  Nice!   On not being there...sure ;)

UND is handling this exactly how they should. When you are on the defensive, you answer the questions that are asked, you don't volunteer info. You don't "get in front of things".

2 hours ago, Tangolou said:

The one thing I've learned in my life is that if you have an opinion, hearing facts that run counter to that opinion rarely change your opinion. Facts won't matter to people who feel they got the shaft. The minority is venting right now but the vast majority fall into two groups.

1. People who understand why it was      cut

2. People who are saying "UND had women's hockey?"

Exactly. Explaining doesn't convert the aggrieved. 

We need to cut sports. These are the sports we cut. We are very sorry for those affected. Thank you. 

• Upvote 4