SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

24 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Can't see the source numbers for 2016, but using the aggregate report it looks like just short of $1.2 million for both of them, which is over $900K less than UND.

Wow, the difference is staggering!!

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

Here's the link to anyone who hasn't read it.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4244678-lamoureux-twins-send-und-president-letter-prepare-fight-womens-hockey#.WOJvBbxOeqU.twitter

I think this issue is going to go on for awhile.

Their claim that UND cutting women's hockey is detrimental girls/women's hockey. What is detrimental to women's hockey is the USA and Canada spanking teams 7, 8, or 9-0. USA and Canada dominating the Olympics doesn't look good at the Olympics.

If the women's national team wants to save women's hockey at UND I won't stop them, maybe they get the WCHA to pay UND for a team it worked for USA Hockey. The twins and their teammates better find around $31 million to fund the hockey team along with the other sports needed for Tilte XI.

(I used $31 million because $2 million only cover a season. So they might as well do the ASU way of starting hockey.)

Edit: Why does it seem like people only care about how many Olympians UND has and not winning National Titles?

So the Lammy's want to keep hockey?  That's fine.  I noticed their letter doesn't really detail how this is supposed to happen money-wise.  Must plan on using someone else's money.  

23 minutes ago, mksioux said:

They will also have a lot of the print and TV media establishment in their pocket.  That, along with a social media campaign, worked very effectively against USA Hockey.  Granted, they also had a boycott at their disposal in that dispute, but they still "won" the battle by obfuscating the facts and by playing the gender-equity card.  I wouldn't underestimate the situation.  The propaganda needs to be countered with facts and reality.  

Then UND should go with the Sicatoka approach.  Basically say that due to the state legislature, ND doesn't have enough funds to clear the roads or to prevent home bound old people from starving in their houses (Meals on Wheels cuts) so it doesn't have enough money to finance women's hockey.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Just re-read that letter to Kennedy.  Gotta say, those two are really proud of themselves.  They love to talk about the fact they played in the Olympics and play for the national team any chance they get.  Arrogant.  

Ya, I don't get it -

gundy (member- city little league runner up, 1986)

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

"I don't know how to put this...........but I'm kind of a big deal".   Ron Burgundy

LOL, self importance and cheapness, they come by it naturally..

By the way, could you please make a donation, they would like the whole family to be able to see them in the Olympics.

Give it time, their 15 minutes will be up. They will go away...But they will conveniently forget their wallet and somebody else will have to pay for the cab.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Ya, I don't get it -

gundy (member- city little league runner up, 1986)

It's cool and everything, more than I have ever accomplished and it's not even close.  They just don't need to keep telling us, we got it.  

49 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Just re-read that letter to Kennedy.  Gotta say, those two are really proud of themselves.  They love to talk about the fact they played in the Olympics and play for the national team any chance they get.  Arrogant.  

What else do you expect from someone who has never known the word budget?

• Upvote 2

Did they forget to include page two of their letter outlining their fiscal plan to get the $2,000,000.00 annually with 4% annual increases to fund women's ice hockey? Must've. 

Surely they wouldn't have merely groused without a proposed solution.  That approach was not what I was taught at UND. I was taught to point out a problem and have a proposed solution. 

• Upvote 4

He could have had a gracious response, but still added a little substance. What's annoying is everyone on this board can see it coming, but apparently those in charge cannot. This isn't just going to go away by playing nice. The response to the email was fine, but it should have come simultaneously with a statement, laying everything out like many have said today, with facts and numbers.  UND is armed with all the ammunition they need to end this right now, the problem is it feels like they have no idea what potentially is about to hit them.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Just read the Lammy twins sent Kennedy and BF a letter in their attempt to fight and reinstate WH. Link is on the GF Herald.

These two are almost as annoying as the Olson twins. 

Instead of expressing their opinion, why don't they try to solve the problem.  Donate the funds needed to keep the sport, or tell Kennedy what sports he should have cut instead of women's hockey. 

We are a society of really two groups: those who are part of the solution and those who are part of the problem. Unfortunately a good majority of people fall into the bucket of the problem group.

I know in the Pres thread there was a breakdown of athletes per sport, was that the latest up to date numbers or is there a new one?

If the one in the thread is the new one, I did a rough calculation on the numbers before and after the cuts to test the first prong of Title IX

The first prong of title IX is: Demonstrate that the percentage of its female athletes is nearly the same as the percentage of female undergraduate students.  So I wanted to see if this was the case

Before: M/F breakdown was 49/51 in favor of F (252 vs 261)

After: M/F breakdown was 52/48 in favor of M  (228 vs 207)

IIRC, UND is usually around 52/48 in undergrad population

So if my numbers are correct UND appears to be right in line with population breakdowns.