SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

9 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

To the folks upset about how this information was released:

UND had to inform organizations with which they have contractual obligations (see: WWCHA, WAC swimming). The first "real news" (note the quotes) about this on Wednesday was from Todd Milewski on Twitter. Knowing his ties, someone in the WWCHA offices leaked. That's not on UND

Next, how, when you haven't announced anything yet, do you tell coaches and teams, "Uh, yeah, you're fine for now, but, uh, don't practice or recruit or have visits this week." To quote the great and wise Det. Lenny Briscoe, "I think that's what they call a clue ..." 

Finally, to those that said "individual meetings" should've been held. And you didn't like how it came out this way? OK, schedule 26 meetings with WIH players, and another 40 with WSD and 30 with MSD. Really. Really? The meetings alone are a tell, and after the first one goes down, with social media? 

In closing, the WIH coach knew. He admitted as much in the GFH story; however, he probably couldn't admit it to himself. Putting his team on the ice with a recruit coming in says as much about him as anyone or anything else. 

There's no go way to do something like this other than to just do it. 

Take your reasonable logic and get out!

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

He admitted as much in the GFH story; however, he probably couldn't admit it to himself. Putting his team on the ice with a recruit coming in says as much about him as anyone or anything else. 

That is my question.  Were they practicing like this previously?  On Monday, Tuesday, or the week before?

He knew the decision was coming that afternoon yet still put on a practice.  For the recruit, maybe?

14 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

To the folks upset about how this information was released:

UND had to inform organizations with which they have contractual obligations (see: WWCHA, WAC swimming). The first "real news" (note the quotes) about this on Wednesday was from Todd Milewski on Twitter. Knowing his ties, someone in the WWCHA offices leaked. That's not on UND

Next, how, when you haven't announced anything yet, do you tell coaches and teams, "Uh, yeah, you're fine for now, but, uh, don't practice or recruit or have visits this week." To quote the great and wise Det. Lenny Briscoe, "I think that's what they call a clue ..." 

Finally, to those that said "individual meetings" should've been held. And you didn't like how it came out this way? OK, schedule 26 meetings with WIH players, and another 40 with WSD and 30 with MSD. Really. Really? The meetings alone are a tell, and after the first one goes down, with social media? 

In closing, the WIH coach knew. He admitted as much in the GFH story; however, he probably couldn't admit it to himself. Putting his team on the ice with a recruit coming in says as much about him as anyone or anything else. 

If you have ever been through a large lay off you know there is no gentle way to do it.  It sucks and there is no right way. The younger you are the less you understand this about the process. All the tweets and Facebooks posts are just clueless about the real world of business and employment. 

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

That is my question.  Were they practicing like this previously?  On Monday, Tuesday, or the week before?

He knew the decision was coming that afternoon yet still put on a practice.  For the recruit, maybe?

If practice was cancelled for the day of the announcement, that would have been an enormous clue.   

I believe in coincidences ... and Santa and the Easter Bunny. 

Brian Idalski was on the ice with his team Wednesday afternoon, conducting one of his hour-long skill practices allowed weekly by the NCAA.

Surely he just picked that hour that day at random. With a recruit in. When he admits ... 

Idalski said he wasn't totally caught off guard by Wednesday's announcement.

"There were definitely some things that were fishy, but you don't know and you don't want to believe it's true," Idalski said.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4242889-weve-run-through-stages-grief-womens-hockey-coach-says

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

NO one wants him fired. 

No, just encouraging calls to his employer to let them know "how you feel" about him on his personal twitter for "not covering the whole story" in 140 characters and being "biased by not reporting numbers."

You want a full in depth knowledge on an issue read the newspaper. You want small tidbits of information or how someone personally feels about something; follow them on twitter. You want to get "both sides of the issue" on twitter? Follow more people. 

Don't get upset at The Daily Show when they don't go in-depth reporting either.

• Upvote 3

Just now, UND1983 said:

I suppose that way he couldn't have created the drama of being on the ice when it broke.  Good point.

Having been on the management side of layoffs, I agree with others who earlier point out how hard it is to send zero signals in advance.  (Because if you send those signals, the grapevine goes bonkers and everyone stops working until you Tell.)

I agree with multiple posters who have said UND's formal announcement needed a broader and deeper recap of (1) the problem - find a couple million while meeting the competitive needs of (1b) a new conference for most sports.  (2) The options of cutting that size amount from budget were very limited, and all the other options had worse consequences: more reductions in participation, risk of failing conference minimums etc etc.    The absence of those critically important facts is what allows the journalism covering to tell "what they heard", and UND allowed that by telling less than the full story in their formal announcement.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Again, I agreed with the decisions made this week. But nobody "needs" to "give it a rest". When you make controversial and/or unpopular decisions like this, you will have a backlash.

I think the problem is everyone thinks their opinion is valid.  Just because someone has a opinion doesn't mean that opinion isn't 100% wrong and without factual support.  People need to think before spouting off how they feel. 

No one NEEDS to give it a rest, but it would behoove them to give it a rest when it makes them look like uneducated self-centered fools to the vast majority of folks.  Some folks just don't realize how their knee jerk reactions are perceived by others.

The cut teams are obviously disappointed.  The situation could have been handled better.  The effected folks can handle it with class or like spoiled brats.  Looks like a few are going with the latter.

I doubt anyone wanted to cut any programs, but you must accept reality on realities terms.  From an institutional perspective a tough decision had to be made, and it appears from an effect and financial approach the correct decision was made.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I believe in coincidences ... and Santa and the Easter Bunny. 

Surely he just picked that hour that day at random. With a recruit in. When he admits ... 

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4242889-weve-run-through-stages-grief-womens-hockey-coach-says

And to add to this perfectly timed practice: 

He noticed former players starting to show up.

"I started to have a sense that something was wrong at that point," he said.

A coach probably invited them for the last ever practice at UND.

53 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

Having been on the management side of layoffs, I agree with others who earlier point out how hard it is to send zero signals in advance.  (Because if you send those signals, the grapevine goes bonkers and everyone stops working until you Tell.)

I agree with multiple posters who have said UND's formal announcement needed a broader and deeper recap of (1) the problem - find a couple million while meeting the competitive needs of (1b) a new conference for most sports.  (2) The options of cutting that size amount from budget were very limited, and all the other options had worse consequences: more reductions in participation, risk of failing conference minimums etc etc.    The absence of those critically important facts is what allows the journalism covering to tell "what they heard", and UND allowed that by telling less than the full story in their formal announcement.

I do not disagree however in the never ending cycle of there is no right way and you are always going to be criticized - they would have been criticized for "focusing on the number rather than the people who's lives were impacted." 

• Upvote 1

It's just really hard for me to believe that Idalski was completely caught off guard by the news.  A year ago when they cut sports, Womens hockey was being talked about, but it was not cut.  In January when it was announced a decision would be made to cut more programs, how does Idalski think that womens hockey being cut was not a possibility?!!  You would have thought that he would maybe had discussed this with the players, or that the players would at least be talking about the possibility.  I guess judging by the "complete shock" reactions from players, they were completely oblivious to what was happening in the athletic department regarding budget cuts and cutting programs.  And that's on them.  And maybe even Idalski for not letting these girls know what is going on.  

• Upvote 3

On 3/30/2017 at 2:06 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

The point is that the REA was not God's gift from Heaven to Grand Forks due to unparalleled hockey fandom ... UND hockey is in a very fortunate position with that building. Many other big-time hockey universities do not have that luxury. Yet, even with that luxury for UND, the almighty hockey programs of the impeccable hockey town of Grand Forks took a hit. 

Take note: the lesson is that hockey popularity (and feasibility) is far more fragile than you want it to be, even in Grand Forks and North Dakota. 

Hockey will always be the envy of sports in GF.  Football will always have small mans syndrome to hockey at UND.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 14

13 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

It's just really hard for me to believe that Idalski was completely caught off guard by the news.  A year ago when they cut sports, Womens hockey was being talked about, but it was not cut.  In January when it was announced a decision would be made to cut more programs, how does Idalski think that womens hockey being cut was not a possibility?!!  You would have thought that he would maybe had discussed this with the players, or that the players would at least be talking about the possibility.  I guess judging by the "complete shock" reactions from players, they were completely oblivious to what was happening in the athletic department regarding budget cuts and cutting programs.  And that's on them.  And maybe even Idalski for not letting these girls know what is going on.  

They truly believed UND was a hockey university, instead of a university with hockey.

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

This...

Those girls and the whole family (phil and mario on the mens team) have received a lot with free education and hockey from the university. And this is how they act. It's disgusting. They should acknowledge the reason for the cut and be thankful they even had a chance to wear the jersey.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Can't waste money on something like this. Does anyone know why woman's hockey was added in the first place? Unless they add checking to the game it's not the same game.

And Schloss really needs to stop. It's rather embarrassing how the ones against this cut have responded. Grow up. Nothing is free in this world. The state told them they would need to cut their athletic budget. They had no choice. Woman's hockey is the most obvious and best choice.

And the lammy twins need to give it a rest. Complaining about this, wanting more money for the Olympics, and asking people to buy their t shirt to fund their family's free vacation to south Korea. 

I wish the REA would pull their shirts off the shelves.  I think if they are going to bad mouth the university then cut them off.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Again, I agreed with the decisions made this week. But nobody "needs" to "give it a rest". When you make controversial and/or unpopular decisions like this, you will have a backlash. That is why they hired a Title IX consultant. Kennedy and Faison probably understand and accept that. But very few people on this forum seem to understand it.

I do think Schlossman should be a little more careful about his choice of words (calling someone a moron isn't a good idea). But again, he is not obligated to agree with anything. Wayne Nelson whined and complained for weeks about baseball being cut last year, but he didn't get nearly as much grief as Schlossman is getting right now.

When your reporting looks one-sided and against the university the people who come to him for this news won't get the whole story. He can't keep retweeing things that show people against the cut as it makes him look like he's on their side. I'm not sure what he thinks of the cut but it should have been done last year. Kennedy actually had the balls to do it unlike Schafer. With the name change and logo choosing, he didn't want to be the cause of another thing I bet. 

1 minute ago, nodakgirl93 said:

When your reporting looks one-sided and against the university the people who come to him for this news won't get the whole story. He can't keep retweeing things that show people against the cut as it makes him look like he's on their side. I'm not sure what he thinks of the cut but it should have been done last year. Kennedy actually had the balls to do it unlike Schafer. With the name change and logo choosing, he didn't want to be the cause of another thing I bet. 

Unless Schafer never got the same information Kennedy did.  Did they both see the same numbers or different?

6 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Unless Schafer never got the same information Kennedy did.  Did they both see the same numbers or different?

Didn't the state change how much needed to be cut after the cuts were made so Kennedy had no choice but to cut it? If the state didn't tell UND to cut more money they probably don't cut the women's hockey team.