SiouxSports.com Forum

UND to cut women's hockey

UND92

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Legit title contender equals 2 tournament appearances in 15 years with 0 wins? They were a contender with the twins. Lightning will not be in a bottle like that again and people still didn't attend those games. 

False.  When they were here.  Attendance was just as good at both Basketball teams are right now.  Averaged about 1500/Game. Problem is the REA seats 12K and seemed empty.

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

How do I really feel? I feel that hockey is not untouchable at UND, which before yesterday, many thought was the case. A false narrative that floated around here was women's hockey could never be touched at UND due to the "hockey culture". That self-entitled attitude apparently rubbed off onto some of the student-athletes as evidenced by social media. 

Your hyperbole with the whole "UND football only" is way off. I have season tickets for UND men's hockey and enjoy supporting that program; however, I shouldn't be taken to task just for enjoying football and basketball more. That is another area that UND and its "fans" need to improve on: undue criticism

You seriously did type the bolded part.......yup you did. Do you own a mirror?  If so take a look!

You rip on everyone on this site that enjoys hockey much more than FB and/or BB but still goes to games and supports those other two sports. Not to mention ripping those who have not puckered up to the new nickname and/or logo as you feel they should even though they are great supporters of the university and it's teams. Am I missing anything?

#hypocrite

BTW you have to running out of -1 on me too. :lol:

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Big Green said:

False.  When they were here.  Attendance was just as good at both Basketball teams are right now.  Averaged about 1500/Game. Problem is the REA seats 12K and seemed empty.

So you're telling me that we had two home grown Olympians playing in the nicest rink in the world on a great team and only 1500 people bothered to show up? I rest my case.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Big Green said:

False.  When they were here.  Attendance was just as good at both Basketball teams are right now.  Averaged about 2K/Game. Problem is the REA seats 12K and seemed empty.

I don't think it was that high but it was better than volleyball and was about the level of women's basketball at their peak with the Lammys. After they left it steadily declined.

21 minutes ago, Big Green said:

But right there is the problem.  Last years average attendance was 808.  Can't live off the past, which we all tend to do to often. 

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not quite.

Averages for the 3 years the twins were here:
2010/2011 - 1,259
2011/2012 - 1,406
2012/2013 - 1,216
Total average - 1,294

WBB's lowest average during and since then was 1,469 (during their transition) and has been consistently a couple hundred higher.
MBB's lowest average during and since then was 1,625 and has been consistently a couple hundred higher.
UND also charges for tickets for those games.

There you go again with your facts and numbers to support them.  You really do ruin a good argument! :)

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not quite.

2010/2011 - 1,259
2011/2012 - 1,406
2012/2013 - 1,216
Total average - 1,294

WBB's lowest average during and since then was 1,469 (during their transition) and has been consistently a couple hundred higher.
MBB's lowest average during and since then was 1,625 and has been consistently a couple hundred higher.

Don't go bringing facts into this. That just confuses everybody...

10 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Not quite.

2010/2011 - 1,259
2011/2012 - 1,406
2012/2013 - 1,216
Total average - 1,294

snap snap snap.gif

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Note quite.

2010/2011 - 1,259
2011/2012 - 1,406
2012/2013 - 1,216
Total average - 1,294

WBB's lowest average during and since then was 1,469 (during their transition).
MBB's lowest average during and since then was 1,625

The post I responded to was “no one came when the twins were here”.  Point being it is very close to the amount for M/W Basketball.  Basketball has had a lot longer to build their fan base.  They missed a giant opportunity to grow the sport at UND during that time.  They failed.  UND has been ranked toward the top of Women Hockey in Attendance every year.  Attendance is not the problem.  They are right there with their peers.  You can't compare to Men's Hockey.  I get sick of the false stuff written about when it comes to Women hockey.  Women Hockey charges the same way the Volleyball does.  Champions Club, Students and Jr Champion member gets in free.  All others pay.  Problem is not attendance it is the extremely high costs.

For the record, I think UND made the correct move with the sports they dropped.  It's just a shame they could not make women’s hockey work.

For the record USCHO shows a little greater for attendance.

9 minutes ago, Big Green said:

The post I responded to was “no one came when the twins were here”.  Point being it is very close to the amount for M/W Basketball.  Basketball has had a lot longer to build their fan base.  They missed a giant opportunity to grow the sport at UND during that time.  They failed.  UND has been ranked toward the top of Women Hockey in Attendance every year.  Attendance is not the problem.  They are right there with their peers.  You can't compare to Men's Hockey.  I get sick of the false stuff written about when it comes to Women hockey.  Women Hockey charges the same way the Volleyball does.  Champions Club, Students and Jr Champion member gets in free.  All others pay.  Problem is not attendance it is the extremely high costs.

For the record, I think UND made the correct move with the sports they dropped.  It's just a shame they could not make women’s hockey work.

If basketball had two kids from Grand Forks who were Olympians they wouldn't be playing in the Betty. They would be playing in a packed Ralph. 

i guess a retractable roof fb stadium courtesy of true north sports and entertainment isn't happening anytime soon...and i'm sure this program could've been self funded by mark chipman alone if he really really wanted to? 2million a year aint nothing for him.

12 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I used UND box scores. Not sure why there would be a discrepancy.

I don't think anyone is excited women's hockey was dropped because they don't like it, they are happy that the administration finally made a decision based on actual numbers, because if you look at them, it wasn't even close. I attended some games and it is unfortunate it won't be an option for people any more but UND has dug itself enough holes making decisions based on "feelings of others".

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

As someone stated here yesterday: Be careful tossing around "Title IX". 

UND was unbalanced for M/F participation before baseball was cut. UND had too many FEMALE athletes. Then they cut baseball making bad worse. 

UND was prime for a Title IX suit ... from MALE athletes. 

So what I hear you saying is that NDSU should start women's hockey.

8 minutes ago, farce poobah said:

So what I hear you saying is that NDSU should start women's hockey.

With all the interest that has suddenly popped up, literally all it would take is some students to indicate on their surveys that they would like it.....

• Upvote 2

Some facts I haven't heard enough of:

Idalski and Fabian have a year remaining on their contracts.  Those will be honored.  They aren't being sent out on the streets.  They get a year-plus of salary and I assume benefits, a pretty sweet deal.  A deal that other UND faculty and staff being let go on a non-voluntary status do NOT get.

The players scholarships are being honored.   If they want to stay at UND and finish their academic careers, they can.   School for free (or reduced, as I am not an expert on their level of funding) is a pretty sweet deal.  

We have heard the negatives ad nauseum, but lets not let these facts get buried in the hoopla.

• Upvote 2

Schlossman on Barrero was embarrassing. He asked them about why the cuts had to me made and his answer was "I think" then followed by "oil revenue not as much as they thought". Didn't give any numbers like 1.3 Million needed to be cut or that the hockey team was in the red by 2 M. But he did talk about, of course, all the Olympians!!  Sad part of. Rafa journalism career right now. 

• Upvote 3