SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think these numbers are absolutely attainable for all of these players listed.

I think JJ and Rhett can be 12-14 goal guys.  I think Hoff can put up 10 if he stays healthy.  I think it's probably a stretch for Olson to hit 11 goals.  In his three years at UND, he has 9 goals in over 90 games.  I think 6 goals (what he put up in 2016-2017) may be his high end.  As for Bowen and Yon, it wouldn't shock me if they improved that much, but I think 15 combined is more likely than 19 combined. 

27 minutes ago, jk said:

Without looking I was thinking goals from the defense may go up.  You lose Tucker but everyone else, none of whom are defense-only mashers, matures.  Then I looked and the numbers aren't as encouraging. 

Goals from the defense last year: 19

Goals from the defense in 2015-16:  26

Hard to see doing much better than that group a few years ago.

Agreed.  Wolanin scored 6 last season...that's a pretty good number for a defenseman, but maybe he pushes that to 7 next year.

Colton Poolman can increase his scoring.  He had 2 last year, and can certainly put in 3-4.

Shaw is capable of 3-4, and Johnson and Peski (who combined for 0 goals) may be able to combine for 3-4 goals.  That would put the returners at around 16-19 goals.  I'm not sure what Bast's scoring production is, but freshmen blueliners typically struggle.  I wouldn't expect much more than maybe a couple goals...so I would guess our d-corps combines for roughly what last year's blueliners put up.

25 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Next year's team will struggle offensively.........and this year's team was shut out, I believe, 5 times.

Come on...let's get positive.  We actually have a nice core next year.  They'll be good.  Other teams are losing players too.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Come on...let's get positive.  We actually have a nice core next year.  They'll be good.  Other teams are losing players too.

I think next year's team will be similar W/L wise as this year. They'll win because of Cam and a really good D core. They won't win many games 5-4 IMO.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

I think next year's team will be similar W/L wise as this year. They'll win because of Cam and a really good D core. They won't win many games 5-4 IMO.

A third goal next year will be far more valuable than a third goal last year. 

I think Cam has something to prove as a senior. And now he has an experienced defensive group in front of him again. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jk said:

Without looking I was thinking goals from the defense may go up.  You lose Tucker but everyone else, none of whom are defense-only mashers, matures.  Then I looked and the numbers aren't as encouraging. 

Goals from the defense last year: 19

Goals from the defense in 2015-16:  26

Hard to see doing much better than that group a few years ago.

I know we are talking about replacing goals, but points from the defense should help the overall goals go up. (I guess that is a "duh" statement)  Let's face it, as a freshman you are more worried about not getting burned and I'm sure the coaches make sure they are taking care of that end first.  As we saw with Stecher, jumping into the play and forcing the other team to defend can pay off big dividends as well because it is hard to account for everybody.  We saw guys like Peski and Johnson quite fearless in jumping into the play late in the season, including our loss to BU. If we can add some offensive output there and Bast can add a little as well, that should help our overall output. Add to that equation the better ability to skate the puck out of your own end and make that great outlet pass that can hit your forwards in stride more often than was the case this year, and improvement could come from that alone. 

2 hours ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

Agreed.  Wolanin scored 6 last season...that's a pretty good number for a defenseman, but maybe he pushes that to 7 next year.

Colton Poolman can increase his scoring.  He had 2 last year, and can certainly put in 3-4.

Shaw is capable of 3-4, and Johnson and Peski (who combined for 0 goals) may be able to combine for 3-4 goals.  That would put the returners at around 16-19 goals.  I'm not sure what Bast's scoring production is, but freshmen blueliners typically struggle.  I wouldn't expect much more than maybe a couple goals...so I would guess our d-corps combines for roughly what last year's blueliners put up.

If they collectively stop shooting into legs, the odds of scoring will rise dramatically just by finding the net

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

A third goal next year will be far more valuable than a third goal last year. 

I think so too.  Last season we allowed 3+ goals in 20 games and were 5-14-1 in those games.  In other words, we were 16-2-2 when allowing 2 goals or less. I have to imagine our number of games allowing 3+ goals should decrease next season (for comparison, we only had 11 such games in 2015-2016, going 3-6-2).  If we can reduce 3+ goals allowed games down to 12-14, that should equate to approximately 4-6 more wins assuming we can score roughly as many goals as last season. 

About 100 orange pylons should be set randomly between the dots to the goal line. 

Our defensemen should use that setup to practice getting low pucks to the net. 

Shoot. That won't work. Every orange pylon in eastern ND is in Fargo at I-29 and 32nd Ave S right now. :D 

Just now, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

I think so too.  Last season we allowed 3+ goals in 20 games and were 5-14-1 in those games.  In other words, we were 16-2-2 when allowing 2 goals or less. I have to imagine our number of games allowing 3+ goals should decrease next season (for comparison, we only had 11 such games in 2015-2016, going 3-6-2).  If we can reduce 3+ goals allowed games down to 12-14, that should equate to approximately 4-6 more wins assuming we can score roughly as many goals as last season. 

:huh:

..............................................................I thought someone said there would be no math.

4 minutes ago, Fighting Sioux 23 said:

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wolanin could be our best player next year and he would still be the favorite whipping boy of many people. We wouldn't have even gone to overtime without his outstanding goal against BU. He's the only guy on the team capable of that type of play. 

He was an absolute monster the whole game against BU.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Next year's team will struggle offensively.........and this year's team was shut out, I believe, 5 times.

Yeah having Star players doesn't always help - it's fun to say u saw them but having guys who grow & mature & improve at the end of the year is more fun to me

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Wolanin did have a great game against BU, but he lost a puck battle behind the net that led to a BU goal.

I don't remember the review to check the zone entry before that goal.  Maybe they were off sides and that puck battle never happened.

13 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Wolanin did have a great game against BU, but he lost a puck battle behind the net that led to a BU goal.

Lol ok. So, what does this prove?

I guess I'll have to take your word for it as I honestly don't remember.