SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

52 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

With 17 and 16 gone who besides me thinks Wolanin should get a chance at wing? Still could go back to D when needed and could run the point on the PP. He IMO has more tools than almost anyone coming back.

I'd be just fine with that if we get some depth on the back. His offensive game is great.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

With 17 and 16 gone who besides me thinks Wolanin should get a chance at wing? Still could go back to D when needed and could run the point on the PP. He IMO has more tools than almost anyone coming back.

He's not a forward.  He's an offensive defensive.  There's a difference :). For developmental reasons, he needs to stay back there and work on defending his own zone.  Also, just because he shows offense doesn't mean that would translate by putting him at forward.  He's a guy that likes to build a rush (from the back end) because his top speed isn't high end.  Kid should have a big year next year, if others pick up their games and give him support.  This is an opportunity for some of the boys that struggled last year to get that oppurtunity to put up points.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, scpa0305 said:

He's not a forward.  He's an offensive defensive.  There's a difference :). For developmental reasons, he needs to stay back there and work on defending his own zone.  Also, just because he shows offense doesn't mean that would translate by putting him at forward.  He's a guy that likes to build a rush (from the back end) because his top speed isn't high end.  Kid should have a big year next year, if others pick up their games and give him support.  This is an opportunity for some of the boys that struggled last year to get that oppurtunity to put up points.

Ummmmmmmm......but if you're a defensemen play defense. Defense first. Offense second. In that order.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

He's not a forward.  He's an offensive defensive.  There's a difference :).

You're an offensive fan, scpa.  If you are defensive about that, I guess it makes you the complete package.   :D

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Totally agree with you here. He is most valuable on the back end creating offense. He obviously needs to improve on the defensive side of the puck but he is most valuable back there. Some players are just better on the back-end than at forward. Not all offensively gifted players need to be forwards. Chay Genoway and Mike Reilly are two perfect examples. Much better at creating offense from the back-end than at forward.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, I Ranger said:

Totally agree with you here. He is most valuable on the back end creating offense. He obviously needs to improve on the defensive side of the puck but he is most valuable back there. Some players are just better on the back-end than at forward. Not all offensively gifted players need to be forwards. Chay Genoway and Mike Reilly are two perfect examples. Much better at creating offense from the back-end than at forward.

Not a breat comparison, but guys like Brent Burns and Erik Karrlson do much more damage from the back end.  I'm not saying Wolanin wouldn't cut it at forward, I'm just saying those fans that complain about his defense and praise his offense need to realize that in most (not all) cases his skillset wouldn't translate as smoothly by shifting positions.  Plus going into next year, who is going to drive offense from the back end (which has made our team so good the past few years)?  We typically have multiple  defensemen who drive possission.  I can think of Wolanin and maybe Shaw (assuming he steps it up this year, which I think he will).  Peski, Johnson, CPoolman all showed they were ready however we need several mobile dmen....not one.

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Not a breat comparison, but guys like Brent Burns and Erik Karrlson do much more damage from the back end.  I'm not saying Wolanin wouldn't cut it at forward, I'm just saying those fans that complain about his defense and praise his offense need to realize that in most (not all) cases his skillset wouldn't translate as smoothly by shifting positions.  Plus going into next year, who is going to drive offense from the back end (which has made our team so good the past few years)?  We typically have multiple  defensemen who drive possission.  I can think of Wolanin and maybe Shaw (assuming he steps it up this year, which I think he will).  Peski, Johnson, CPoolman all showed they were ready however we need several mobile dmen....not one.

My point is he could be a Jake Marto type player at UND

I think Wolanin is probably the most skilled guy on the team right now.  If I was the staff I'd use him all over the place.  On the PP you can use him on top as the trigger man if you are running the umbrella, and I'd use him as a forward off the wall if you are running overload.  Box and 1, he could play anywhere.  

He could be what Will Butcher is to Denver for us if he gets better defensively.

• Upvote 1

1st draft:

Gersich - Hoff - Pogo (until he signs im assuming he stays)

Mismash - Rhett - Olson

JJ - Kawaguchi - Wilkie

C. Adams - Simo - Njones  - (Yes I know I'm missing Bowen in a 3rd or 4th line role, does he play over Simo? :) )

Wolanin - Peski

Poolman - Shaw

Johnson - Bast

Cam

Tomek

Given Schlossman stated "there are a few guys who we can be sure are coming" we can make some assumptions: 

He lists four forwards (Mismash, Kawaguchi, Adams, Jones). There weren't four spots open a forward at season's end. UND ran with 14 F last year (when usual is 15), so maybe there's one spot. Then Boeser. Now Jost. So there's three slots, but four "sure are coming"? That tells me Pogo is more than likely gone, or someone not consistently breaking the game day lineup is leaving. (He also lists three F eligible to come, Keane, Mattson, Sended, so if the departures are more than expected the contingencies are lined up.) 

At defense there's just one opening (Ausmus), but we know Tucker Poolman is all but gone. He lists Bast and Rieger. That math works. (He also lists Kiersted as eligible to come which tells me Chartrand might be contemplating leaving.) 

Now it gets interesting: Cam Johnson is coming back*. But we lose a senior (Matty Rinks) so Peter Thome is sure to come in. But, if Matej Tomek decides to leave, what does UND do? And  what about the fourth goalie, Anderson? If he leaves Scheel comes. If Anderson stays does it trust its stable to be Cam, Thome, and Anderson? Or, does Adam Scheel come in and they go with four? 

*I guess he wants another season behind a veteran defense, ala 2015-16. 

1st draft:

Gersich - Hoff - Pogo (until he signs im assuming he stays)

Mismash - Rhett - Olson

JJ - Kawaguchi - Wilkie

C. Adams - Simo - Njones  - (Yes I know I'm missing Bowen in a 3rd or 4th line role, does he play over Simo? :) )

Wolanin - Peski

Poolman - Shaw

Johnson - Bast

Cam

Tomek

Bowen was one of UND's best forwards down the stretch especially last Friday. No way he sits and Wilkie plays........zero chance. Where's Yon in this picture? Are you awake yet today??? :D

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Bowen was one of UND's best forwards down the stretch especially last Friday. No way he sits and Wilkie plays........zero chance. Where's Yon in this picture? Are you awake yet today??? :D

Again first draft.  I know bowen will cut the lineup.  Just not sure who sits.  This is Wilkie's year (if he stays).  He can only play a top 6 or 9 role as his D game will never be that great and his shot is lethal.  Definitely forgot about Yon (we're going to be very deep at LW....Kawaguchi technically plays LW too, but he also play C).  If Pogo doesn't leave (which is slim to none), we are a lot deeper than most think.  Remember, kids get better with time.

4 minutes ago, franchise said:

Bowen will be Top 6.

He skates great, and brings it every time he plays.  But he doesnt bring a ton of offense.  Having a regular top 6 role (next year) is a large stretch considering the guys we have on the team.

He skates great, and brings it every time he plays.  But he doesnt bring a ton of offense.  Having a regular top 6 role (next year) is a large stretch considering the guys we have on the team.

JJ played a top 6 role this season.......................Bowen will be better than him next year IMO.