SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

13 hours ago, cberkas said:

Brad said Nick Jones will be a junior, but he only played 3 games as a sophomore at Ohio State. Do they try to get him a red shirt for his sophomore year?

Jones is in the "five years to do four competitive seasons" rule.
And he's transferring so he must sit out a season.
He wasn't hurt when he left OSU so that year is burned. 

Thus, Jones only has two competitive seasons left, i.e. junior. 

So now that Jost is gone, and probably Pogo on the forward front.....the way too early look at possible line combos:

Gersich-Rhett-Mismash

Janatuinen-Hoff-Bowen

Smith-Simonson-Olson

Adams, Jones, Yon, Kawaguchi, Wilkie, Gornall......

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So now that Jost is gone, and probably Pogo on the forward front.....the way too early look at possible line combos:

Gersich-Rhett-Mismash

Janatuinen-Hoff-Bowen

Smith-Simonson-Olson

Adams, Jones, Yon, Kawaguchi, Wilkie, Gornall......

So...........who scores other than 19?

While our forward situation might be a bit interesting, I do think our D-corps will be very solid and our goaltending should be great as well. Towards the end of the season and into tourney time I thought our young defensemen made big strides (Peski, Casey, and C. Poolman played well, and Wolanin is a stud). That should help while our forward situation gets figured out.

6 minutes ago, siouxfaninseattle said:

Lots of talk about Pogo leaving. Hopefully he pays attention to the many guys that left early and never got a sniff of the NHL. 

Yah, did guys like Ryan Bayda ever get a whiff of the show? 

At the end of the season this team was playing as well as any team in the country and a major part of that was how well they were playing up and down the lineup, all 4 lines and all 3 D-pairings. Like last year, there will be a lot of players leaving. This is assuming Poganski and Poolman also leave, but everyone else stays.

You lose:

• Forwards: Boeser, Jost, Poganski
  • Defense: Poolman, Ausmus
  • Goalie: Rinks

Gersich - Kawaguchi - Bowen

JJ - Gardner - Mismash

Wilkie - Hoff - Yon 

Olsen - Simonson - Smith

Gornall, Jones, Adams

Poolman - Shaw

Peski - Wolanin

Johnson - Bast

Rieger, Charland

What's exciting is you have so many "solid" players up and down the lineup that will be young (only two seniors). We'll need to count on 2 of the 4 freshman forwards to come in and really contribute right away as well as some that take a big step. When you have a pool of players like Bowen, JJ, Gardner, Yon, Smith, ect.. it just takes a couple to take a big step and the rest to improve slightly. I'm extremely optimistic about the future. It's also exciting that this appears to be a group that there's not any for sure early departures after next year (outside of Wolanin). If this is a playoff team that's competitive next year, watch out the year after next. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, NoDak Fan said:

Yeah, I remember seeing Bayda play a game for the Manitoba Moose in 2006. He was up and down between NHL and minors. I thought he had the makings to be a Travis Zajac-type player. Steady, but not a prolific scorer.

180 games isn't a horrible NHL stint.

8 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So the goaltending is set for next year.  Defensively I think they'll be better next year.  

1.  Poolman-Bast

2.  Peski-Wolanin

3.  Shaw-Johnson

Rieger, Chartrand, Kiersted

We usually have one freshman that surprises us.  Could use a couple of them next year, as well as no players back sliding in their development, and all of them taking a step forward.  Also hoping that the power play improves without the stars.  Good old puck movement, taking away the eyes of the goalie, and getting shots to the net.  Wind up the grinders like they were against BU, and minimal outings like the home games against Michigan State, and Saturday games against Omaha and Western Michigan.  Need players to buy in from the start into the Gaarder, Pattyn, Gornall, Bowen and Smith work ethic, and get the rookies on board with that style from day one. Optimism-- Pass it on!

• Upvote 3

The defense improved so much from day one. Casey and Peski took huge strides. #4 was very noticeable for all the right reasons vs BU. Colton became a legit #1 guy.

If we're solid back there and just need fwds to step up, I think that's better than where this year started. Stat wise, Tyson and Brock weren't unreal. I think the incoming group has a couple guys that can put up 15g right away.

With 17 and 16 gone who besides me thinks Wolanin should get a chance at wing? Still could go back to D when needed and could run the point on the PP. He IMO has more tools than almost anyone coming back.