SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 3/3/2018 at 9:25 AM, AJS said:

This year has been a tale of two seasons.

Before Christmas:

• Average Offense
  • Good Defense
  • Good Goaltending
  • Average PP
  • Great Penalty Kill

After Christmas:

• Average Offense
  • Good Defense
  • Average Goaltending
  • Average PP
  • Average / Poor PK

At the beginning of the year, they were finding ways to win, second half they are finding ways to lose. Obviously you have exceptions in the first / second half, but overall, the difference has been (1) Goaltending (2) Penalty Kill. 

It's going to be tough watching this team miss the playoffs this year, but the one thing that will be comforting is clearly by the Pairwise, but also just overall, they weren't that far off. Early departures will be big for this team this off-season. 

I would say below average offense and below avg defense as well.  And their pk and pp are atrocious (I guess their pp bumped up a bit last weekend but if you’re looking at post Christmas collectively it’s really bad).

20 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Our forwards are defenders and our defenders are forwards this year.

This.....^^^^^. 

Your leading points guy will be a defenseman. First time at UND in 25 years. For a team that can't hit an open net, cue the Gersich end of regulation video from Friday, I'm surprised Adams can't find any ice time. Maybe chipping it off the glass and taking offensive zone penalties moves one up the depth chart???

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

I would say below average offense and below avg defense as well.  And their pk and pp are atrocious (I guess their pp bumped up a bit last weekend but if you’re looking at post Christmas collectively it’s really bad).

UND stats:

Offense 29th 2.86 GPG

Defense 14th 2.44 GAPG

PP 32/156 20.5% 

PK 120/147 81.6%

For comparison sake, DU's PP is 34/151 22.5% 

College Hockey Stats Net

14 minutes ago, Goon said:

UND stats:

Offense 29th 2.86 GPG

Defense 14th 2.44 GAPG

PP 32/156 20.5% 

PK 120/147 81.6%

College Hockey Stats Net

Well their pp feels clunky.  Their zone entry has improved greatly over the past three or four years however what they do in the ozone is not pretty nor creative. The other team knows that the puck is going to the point and one of the two defensemen will shoot...every time.

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Well their pp feels clunky.  Their zone entry has improved greatly over the past three or four years however what they do in the ozone is not pretty nor creative. The other team knows that the puck is going to the point and one of the two defensemen will shoot...every time.

I was checking the stats yesterday, a grand total of five players played all 36 games this season. That probably played into their problems this season. The top-two lines are finally getting some chemistry. If you think about it, there’s a fine line between the top teams and the bottom. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Goon said:

I was checking the stats yesterday, a grand total of five players played all 36 games this season. That probably played into their problems this season. The top-two lines are finally getting some chemistry. If you think about it, there’s a fine line between the top teams and the bottom. 

I think they had chemistry in spurts all season. Someone just usually got injured and they had to switch things. The players on the top 2 lines right now have played the bulk of games with each other. How often did you see Gersich not with Gardner or Poganski?

Or to a lesser extent Jones without either Mismash or Kawaguchi? Jones has played with a lot of different wingers, but I’d bet his current linemates are the ones he’s played with the most. Which is why the top 2 lines work. 

2 hours ago, Mhockey said:

Maybe I missed the discussion but where is Collin Adams? Is he injured or did something happen off the ice causing him to be benched? 

When he is out there he needs to get to the slot and shoot more. He let off some sweet wrist shots earlier this season. That seems to be an issue for a lot of the guys this year; taking quick shots. Constantly waiting a second to long and allowing defenders to clog up the shooting lanes. Would rather see more pucks to the net, and looking for some greasy goals.

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

Atrocious Power Play confirmed.

PP 32/156 20.5% 

Statiscially, they're not all that bad. It's the PK that's killed them. 

4 minutes ago, Goon said:

Look at the numbers again, you talking about  22.5% versus 20.5% that isn't a lot. 

What do I need to look at again? My numbers are correct. And they are the same as yours.

That "small percentage" is the difference having the 22nd best power play (UND) or the 13th best power play (DU).

.....which is the exact same thing I posted above.

26 minutes ago, Goon said:

Look at the numbers again, you talking about  22.5% versus 20.5% that isn't a lot. Since January 1, 2018, UND has a higher PP percentage than DU. 21.9 vs 16.1...

No one was comparing their PK's. UND has taken about  39 more penalties. 

There’s nothing you could say to convince the majority here that the power play doesn’t suck. It’s been a point of contention for a while.  

In my mind, if PP is above 20%, it’s sufficient enough for me. 

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

There’s nothing you could say to convince the majority here that the power play doesn’t suck. It’s been a point of contention for a while.  

In my mind, if PP is above 20%, it’s sufficient enough for me. 

I actually thought the PP looked improved and pretty decent this past weekend.

The PP looks a little better, but definitely lacks the quick sharp passes that other teams have.  When they actually get it between the dots for a quick shot, it looks functional.  The back and forth at the top before hitting a shin pad or losing the zone is the killer.

The PK...well, I just expect a goal everytime and then I'm pleasantly surprised when they kill it 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

In their 2015-16 national championship season, UND had a PP percentage of 19.1%.

Maybe the eye test doesn't look good, but statistically they have a better PP this year.

As Goon said it's the PK that is killing them this year.

That year at this time they had the 6th best PK in the country vs 26th best PK right now.

1 minute ago, Cratter said:

That year at this time they had the 6th best PK in the country vs 26th best PK right now.

Exactly........................this team parades to the box to boot. The amount of offensive zone penalties this team takes as well is ridiculous.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cratter said:

Atrocious Power Play confirmed.

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

I got the impression that you believed the powerplay was the problem.

Their penalty kill looked so good for the first couple months, then completely fell apart.

• Upvote 1