SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

5 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Toews was better than Jost.

What make Toews such a special player is that he is one of the best 2 way players in the game.  If you look a Nick Schmaltz's second year from his first, the big change was the improvement in his defensive game.  I think Jost definitely improved in this area as the season went on and after another year of development who knows how big of star he can be in the NHL.  Although Boeser's scoring progress was disappointing to some, it appeared to me his 2 way game also took a big step forward during his second year.

From talking to people at the rink yesterday, rumors flying around GF are that Poolman tore up his shoulder.  With him not playing this weekend, there may be some cred to this.  If this is the case, then we probably won't get a decision one way or another for a while on him.  If for some reason, he feels that there is some unfinished business at UND, we may get lucky.  Am I expecting this, no.  Never say never.  As far as Jost, I do think that he will be the C is he stays.  He has taken on some of the vocal leaderships in the public the last few weeks.  IMO, Landeskog  is the C at Colorado, so this will get Jost ready to be in leadership there, but he won't be the C there.  There are lots of possible freshman coming in.  I am sure Thome will be on team, since we lost Rinks.  Mismash, Jones, Collins are all nice wings.  Looks like we have some nice D-men that could come in too with Bast, Reige, and Kiersted.  At C we have Kawaguchi, Keane, Senden and Mattson.  I know not all of these will come in but, wow, is there some talent.  We have a former Shattuck player in Mismash, a few BCHL which we will get at least one, a player from Estevan and a mix of USHL players.  This program is in good hands.

40 minutes ago, ringneck28 said:

From talking to people at the rink yesterday, rumors flying around GF are that Poolman tore up his shoulder.  With him not playing this weekend, there may be some cred to this.  If this is the case, then we probably won't get a decision one way or another for a while on him.  If for some reason, he feels that there is some unfinished business at UND, we may get lucky.  Am I expecting this, no.  Never say never.  As far as Jost, I do think that he will be the C is he stays.  He has taken on some of the vocal leaderships in the public the last few weeks.  IMO, Landeskog  is the C at Colorado, so this will get Jost ready to be in leadership there, but he won't be the C there.  There are lots of possible freshman coming in.  I am sure Thome will be on team, since we lost Rinks.  Mismash, Jones, Collins are all nice wings.  Looks like we have some nice D-men that could come in too with Bast, Reige, and Kiersted.  At C we have Kawaguchi, Keane, Senden and Mattson.  I know not all of these will come in but, wow, is there some talent.  We have a former Shattuck player in Mismash, a few BCHL which we will get at least one, a player from Estevan and a mix of USHL players.  This program is in good hands.

I've heard it was more than just his shoulder

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Like was said before, the longer it takes on Tucker, the better. I would be disappointed as a UND fan only if he left, dude is ready. Not sure what his thoughts on family are, but personally for me, it would mean more to play another year with my brother and make another legit run at a National Championship, can't imagine what something like that would feel like to do with my brother as my defensive pairing. Chills. Unlike a lot of talent that flows through the organization, these two likely bleed green and white more than others. Just my opinion but I wouldn't be shocked at his decision either way. 

8 minutes ago, snova4 said:

Like was said before, the longer it takes on Tucker, the better. I would be disappointed as a UND fan only if he left, dude is ready. Not sure what his thoughts on family are, but personally for me, it would mean more to play another year with my brother and make another legit run at a National Championship, can't imagine what something like that would feel like to do with my brother as my defensive pairing. Chills. Unlike a lot of talent that flows through the organization, these two likely bleed green and white more than others. Just my opinion but I wouldn't be shocked at his decision either way. 

I believe he's 100% gone.  I'm sure there's some discussion on what to do with his injury. 

2 hours ago, ringneck28 said:

Keane and senden are a ways out.  But we do have some nice kids coming in over the next 2-3 years.

14 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Keane and senden are a ways out.  But we do have some nice kids coming in over the next 2-3 years.

I am not an expert on when players are going to come in, but this is all from the list the ICH says are players for the 17-18 year. 

7 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

If they make it to campus at all.

I think they'll make it.....but right now the USHL is a very very tough league for them.  Keane was supposed to be a more offensive player and did put up good numbers in the MJ but has struggled mightily in the USHL (22 pts in 77 games; -7 on a solid team).  Not sure what the deal is there.

Graduate: Ausmus, Hrinkiw

Likely to Sign: Brock (Obviously), T. Poolman, Poganski (based on current reports)

*It will be interesting to see what happens with Tucker and his injury. Outside chance he comes back, but probably gone. Pogo should stay, but will probably go get paid and play in the minors.

50/50: Cam (Turned down offers last year, already has a title), Jost (obvious NHL talent)

*If I had to guess, both Jost and Cam will be back; but I would not be shocked if either left.

Unlikely, by possible: Gersich, Gardner, Wolanin

*We always seem to have a few that sign early that shouldn't. Gersich is the most ready to make the move talent wise. Gardner has the size and physicality. Wolanin played much better as the year went on but could be a really good 4 year player. If you could keep all 3 guys through their senior year, you could have a ton of talent. Actually, if you look at how many good Sophmores this team has, we could be really good next year, and really really good the following year.

So much good talent coming in to add to the mix. Mismash will be a stud. I like Kawaguchi to light the lamp too. Jones, Keane, Bast ... Love this program; it is always easy to look forward to next year!

Really hope Tomek is ready to step in and play some game. Kids has the potential, and I'm ready to see it. Anyone who questions what they have seen from Tomek, need only look back to Cam's first time getting some game time for UND. Heck even look back to his first game last year against Maine. I'd say he has turned out just fine; I assume Tomek will too.

7 hours ago, keikla said:

Now, I think Jost is further along than Schmaltz was at the end of his freshman year, but I still don't think he'd be a full-time NHLer the first year if he turns now.  

I agree completely and for one very important reason: Jonathan Toews. Yes, Jon Toews. Nick Schmaltz gets to show up and be "new guy Nick" and learn under Captain Serious. There is no one of that nature in Colorado. That would not help Tyson Jost's development and could be a drag on his career. 

If Tyson needs to come in and be "The Man", give him the time to learn that role at UND before throwing him in at Colorado. 

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I agree completely and for one very important reason: Jonathan Toews. Yes, Jon Toews. Nick Schmaltz gets to show up and be "new guy Nick" and learn under Captain Serious. There is no one of that nature in Colorado. That would not help Tyson Jost's development and could be a drag on his career. 

If Tyson needs to come in and be "The Man", give him the time to learn that role at UND before throwing him in at Colorado. 

This is a very good point. 

Just now, siouxfan512 said:

So is that a definitive Rhett is back? Or a UND as a whole will be back in the tourney? I'll assume Rhett will be back since he isn't a huge flight risk. And wasn't he just drafted last season anyway?

I'm taking it as he is coming back.