SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Bast is as good as advertised he needs to play if healthy regardless of the opponent.

I can see both arguments.

But to me, it’s pretty telling that Bast was supposed to come last year. If healthy, he’s probably ahead of the other 2 freshmen. (Who have been pretty good also) Plus, we probably could use him on the power play ;)

EDIT:

Schlossman just tweeted that he’s available to play this weekend. 

6 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

If Bast is as good as advertised he needs to play if healthy regardless of the opponent.

Bast is better than Reiger however I wouldn't say he's that much better than kiersted. Kiersted played in a much tougher (defensive) league.  Bast is right handed though....and we don't have a lot of them.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Bast is better than Reiger however I wouldn't say he's that much better than kiersted. Kiersted played in a much tougher (defensive) league.  Bast is right handed though....and we don't have a lot of them.

I think Reiger is going to be pretty good.

Quick update through 3 series. 4-1-1 record, played well in 5 of the 6 games, 3 of those they struggled to score, but outplayed the opponent. Still like what this team can become offensively, the new guys have been solid (Jones, Mismash, Adams), looking for more from Poganski, Gersich and JJ. I'm stunned where this team is defensively at this point, they were good before Bast (against weaker opponents), but with him it changes the entire D-core. He's so smooth, he's a Top 3 d-man on this team. The PP with him being paired with Wolanin looks, dare I say, really good. With the depth this defense has and Cam playing well (which he does in front of a good d-corps), they'll win a lot of games this year. 

Edit: As good as this defense is, I'd still like to see Kierstad get in once a weekend. It's important to have 7 guys get minutes down the line. This will be Wolanin's last year, but looking ahead, UND is set defensively for years to come. 

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, AJS said:

Quick update through 3 series. 4-1-1 record, played well in 5 of the 6 games, 3 of those they struggled to score, but outplayed the opponent. Still like what this team can become offensively, the new guys have been solid (Jones, Mismash, Adams), looking for more from Poganski, Gersich and JJ. I'm stunned where this team is defensively at this point, they were good before Bast (against weaker opponents), but with him it changes the entire D-core. He's so smooth, he's a Top 3 d-man on this team. The PP with him being paired with Wolanin looks, dare I say, really good. With the depth this defense has and Cam playing well (which he does in front of a good d-corps), they'll win a lot of games this year. 

Edit: As good as this defense is, I'd still like to see Kierstad get in once a weekend. It's important to have 7 guys get minutes down the line. This will be Wolanin's last year, but looking ahead, UND is set defensively for years to come. 

Bast looked like he'd played on this team for the past 2 seasons, dude's a stud with a rocket slap shot. 

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

Bantams?  I've heard speeches like that before.  In fact, I've heard the exact same "puppet" phrase before.  People have no idea the things that get said in a locker room.  Do they actually think it's all "cheerio and go get 'em sport"?

The funny thing is these kids hear worse while playing COD multiplayer. 

Where has that, bragging about the big ten guy been? :lol:

Got to love this statement!

"In the last two seasons, NCHC teams have been ranked in the top two nationally 49 times. The next closest is the Eastern College Athletic Conference with seven, followed by Hockey East (four) and the Big Ten (two)."

sorry Rebel, just seen you already posted it....haha, love it! Looks good on here twice!

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Where has that, bragging about the big ten guy been? :lol:

Got to love this statement!

"In the last two seasons, NCHC teams have been ranked in the top two nationally 49 times. The next closest is the Eastern College Athletic Conference with seven, followed by Hockey East (four) and the Big Ten (two)."

sorry Rebel, just seen you already posted it....haha, love it! Looks good on here twice!

To be fair the Big7 does have a better record then the NCHC vs AHA opponents...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

English, please, stoney "gfhockey" SIOUX.

MM, I get it, you're not up on the lingo of the kids, these days:

pwning noobs

The act of totally and utterly defeating new players in a game, usually a video-game. To beat a new player so badly that that person no longer wants to participate in playing that particular game, for fear of being pwned again.
"I was totally pwning noobs last night online on Call of Duty 4"

2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

English, please, stoney "gfhockey" SIOUX.

Same here. Looked like phone spelling to me. Just in case it wasn't I tried to say it in my best Porky Pig but still couldn't decipher it. Now we know it was apparently spelled right

• Upvote 1

Get set for #1 vs #2 hockey this weekend as UND goes to Denver...question is, who will be #1 in the polls?

I know, I know, polls don’t really matter and Pairwise is all that counts (and it’s too early for that anyway) but for fans of this rivalry like me, it adds more electricity to a great series.

it should be a great test for the boys, particularly the freshman and Thome in net if Cam’s not ready.