SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

26 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

No freshman D in 15+ years improved more from game 1 to then end of the season than Peski. 

I totally agree and I liked him at the start of the year. Had some bumps in the road but really came on in the second half. D should be really solid all season minus any injuries 

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

No freshman D in 15+ years improved more from game 1 to then end of the season than Peski. 

I could not believe the transformation.  I was tough on the young kid, and I'll happily eat crow and say he was the most improved player on last year's team. 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

With Cam being a Senior, does anyone else hope that Thome gets a chance early? I'd like to see him get 20% of the starts. 

Only way that happens is if Cam plays poorly.  You're talking about a national champion goalie; its been his net for the past two seasons.  No way you rotate now in order to give the new guy some reps.  ONLY way is poor play out of Cam and poor team results.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, SiouxForever said:

A week to go until the season starts. Let's get a 5 keys to the season convo going.

Ready. Set. Go.

1. Scoring

2. Freshmen adapting to the college game

3. JR/SR forwards stepping up - Olson, Simo etc.

4. Thome - Need to get some reaps in net

5. Power Play, can we have a good one fore once? 

Regarding the power play and the trend for about the last 15 years, I'll say UND once again won't have a good power play. 

My 5 keys:

1. Out of the "core" group of returning forwards that have produced at this level (Gersich, Poganski, Gardner, JJ, Hoff), we need one break out (15+ points), two with modest improvement (7-12 points) and the other two with slight improvements (5pts). What hurt this team last year is the decrease in production from Boeser and the stagnant point production from Poganski / Gardner.

2. Outside of the "core" group, we need one player to have a break out year. 

3. Freshman forwards, two of the four need to adapt quickly and produce right away

4. Wolanin needs to break out, he has all conference potential. Sticking on the defensive side, either Peski / Johnson need to have a Shaw like improvement. 

5. One of the freshman Dman needs to adapt quickly and assert themselves into the rotation  

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

The offsides that cost UND a win in Fargo would have not been reviewable under the new rules.

https://t.co/TaHAIGzeZa

The dives they show are classic, especially the Gophers one.

Unreal the two teams they show examples of DIVING! 

I called this new rule (right after that happened) of offside review no good if other team possesses the puck! Dam!

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, bigskyvikes said:

Unreal the two teams they show examples of DIVING! 

I called this new rule of offside review no good if other team possesses the puck! Dam!

Watch the NHL pick the new offsides review rule now.

That Minnesota dive had everything, threw his head back, fell like he was shot, then grabbed his head, and once he realized the puck was going the other way he was healed like nothing happened. That what it takes to wear an "A" at Minnesota. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, dagies said:

Bulldogs and Gophers.  They didn't have to look long and hard, did they....

They could show numerous plays from Duluth last season with the points of emphasis they discussed.  Can't believe the Avery Peterson play didn't make the video.....or Tontinato having to be restrained by officials....or Pionks numerous headshots/running over goaltender (respecting the game?)

There is zero chance the officials call the obstruction interference the way the video discusses it.....The penalty boxes at AMSOIL aren't big enough.  

19 hours ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

I still hate that call, and hold a grudge against Charlie McAvoy. >:(

Me too.  I'm glad they changed the rule.  The circumstances around it:  barely offside (like an inch) on a zone entry 20 seconds before the goal, with a change in possession in the course of the play...the inch offside made zero impact to the goal.  

12 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

Me too.  I'm glad they changed the rule.  The circumstances around it:  barely offside (like an inch) on a zone entry 20 seconds before the goal, with a change in possession in the course of the play...the inch offside made zero impact to the goal.  

An inch offside is still offside, the best part of the rule change is that BU had a chance to clear the zone and couldn't. 

Now the NCHC should look into issuing a penalty for losing a challenge like the NHL is going to do.

22 minutes ago, cberkas said:

An inch offside is still offside, the best part of the rule change is that BU had a chance to clear the zone and couldn't. 

Now the NCHC should look into issuing a penalty for losing a challenge like the NHL is going to do.

hence my statement about a change of possession during the course of the play.  That is the biggest circumstance.  If UND had scored on the initial rush or even if we cycled it for awhile maintaining possession it makes sense to review it.  However, the change of possession  and failure to clear the zone nullified any advantage of an offside entry.  The new rule reflects this.

• Upvote 2