SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Is Tucker 100% gone? What if he wants to play with his brother again and have the final season he deaerves. You'd have to think watching yesterday's game had an impact on him.

Wouldn't be surprised that if he doesn't sign in the next week, he stays. 

• Upvote 1

Be interesting to see what guys stay and go. Jost should stay for one more year. He idle, Toews, played 2 years at UND. Comeback and a wear a "C" next year as a sophomore!

Tomek and Wilkie? Do they transfer? I would encourage Wilkie to stay and hit the off-season super hard. I feel like if he can score a few goals his confidence will change tremendously. 

I think you're gonna see the coaching staff bring in as many offensive freshman guys as they can.  Next year's team could be pretty lethal. 

Pogo? He'll probably leave, but should come back for 1 more year. He hasn't hit his ceiling yet in the college level. He had an okay junior year but I selfishly expected more. 

Cam - not sure why he would leave, other than getting a contract. He'd be playing in the ECHL/"maybe" a few AHL games if best next year. The road for goalies is a difficult one. 

No one else should leave, but there's always surprises. We shall see. 

8 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

People need to quit using Toews as an example for Jost staying. Toews came in a year early. If Jost signs, he will have signed at the same age as Toews.

You use age,  we use 2 years.  It ain't over till it's over

The Avalanche are such a mess.  I hate to see Jost go into that situation.  Bad owners, bad GM, and rookie coach.  And its been going on for awhile.  They are at the salary cap and have some guys signed up to long-term deals who can't play dead in the NHL.  Don't know what he can do except stay until his signing deadline is passed, but that isn't going to happen.   He is not ready for the NHL though.  Especially with a bad team where he is thrown into the fire immediately.

38 minutes ago, dden3 said:

The Avalanche are such a mess.  I hate to see Jost go into that situation.  Bad owners, bad GM, and rookie coach.  And its been going on for awhile.  They are at the salary cap and have some guys signed up to long-term deals who can't play dead in the NHL.  Don't know what he can do except stay until his signing deadline is passed, but that isn't going to happen.   He is not ready for the NHL though.  Especially with a bad team where he is thrown into the fire immediately.

Yep,  some decent young forwards,  but won't be relevant until the D is upgraded.  Toews and Kane entered a much different situation,  when they signed with Chicago

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Toews was better than Jost.

Toews got to play with Oshie and Duncan. I personally was to busy watching Oshie to notice Toews. Not saying he wasn't good or anything but Oshie had the offensive flare that I'm sure other teams tried to contain. That left Duncan with every opportunity to shine and he took full advantage of it. 

31 minutes ago, Sioux Hawky said:

Toews got to play with Oshie and Duncan. I personally was to busy watching Oshie to notice Toews. Not saying he wasn't good or anything but Oshie had the offensive flare that I'm sure other teams tried to contain. That left Duncan with every opportunity to shine and he took full advantage of it. 

Jost is quicker down low but other than that Toews was amazing to watch and better in every other aspect. Jost is pretty damn good though. I think he should stay one more year and work on his scoring, and his title winning.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Sioux Hawky said:

And I bet if you asked Osh, he say that he got to play with Toews.  You didn't notice Toews as much, because he was always in the right place. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, geaux_sioux said:

Jost is quicker down low but other than that Toews was amazing to watch and better in every other aspect. Jost is pretty damn good though. I think he should stay one more year and work on his scoring, and his title winning.

Jost had a couple games where he looked like he was NHL ready...he also had games where he was a non-factor such as the last one.  

For Jost it might be a similar situation to Nick Schmaltz.  Depending on off-season moves by the Avs, he would turn if the roster situation becomes favorable.  True, his deal slides should he turn and not get 10 games in the NHL, but if he is all but guaranteed his 10, he'll go.  If I'm in mgt in Colorado, I am also a little concerned by the lack of true development/improvement in his game over the past few months.  

Reasons for Jost to stay:

1.  Captain UND on a chance at redemption and a natty run

2.  Chance to win WJC gold with Canada

3.  Know that you are the man, and live the college high life for one more year

4.  Work on small details with a lot of practice time, have more time to get bigger and stronger

5.  Uncertainty on NHL vs AHL

6.  Colorado does not have the pieces in place for him to enter a winning culture/environment

Reasons to go:

1.  $ 

2.  $$

3.  $$$

4.  Achieve your lifelong dream suiting up in the NHL

5.  Good chance at full season in NHL

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Jost stays and UND will be a NCAA tournament team next year. He doesn't stay...................well.

The last month of the year, UND was finally clicking and proved without a doubt they were a Top 10 team in the nation. I think they could be truly dominant depending on who stays. If they only lose Ausmus, Poolman, Boeser and Rinks, I think they are one of the favorites going into next year. Losing only one other (even if Jost), I still think they are a Top 10 team, lose another and things get a little dicey. I think next year you could potentially see depth at forward that we haven't seen since 2011. 

• Upvote 1