SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

On 9/18/2017 at 1:06 PM, AJS said:

Jost / Boeser are amazing players that will be great in the NHL, but you also have to remember that between injuries & youth, neither made it to 40 points last year. I don't think it'll be as tough to replace that production as some.

...and hopefully the rest of the team knows it will take everybody chipping in to be successful, because they can't rely on super talents like Jost/Boeser to make a game changing play anymore when the game is on the line.  

What I like about this years team is the depth up front.  Not going to match what Denver is going to do, but Bubbs has the guys to play his third or fourth line against any team's top group.  Seems like we may see this group play in their opponents end a little more too.....always a good thing.

Can someone fill Tucker's shoes playing 30 minutes a game? Wolanin went from occasional scratch his first year to the number 2/3 guy last year. Can he be the man this year?

This could be the thinnest we've been at D in a while, depending on how last year's freshmen D play this year. They showed promise but it's still a big question mark.

8 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Can someone fill Tucker's shoes playing 30 minutes a game? Wolanin went from occasional scratch his first year to the number 2/3 guy last year. Can he be the man this year?

This could be the thinnest we've been at D in a while, depending on how last year's freshmen D play this year. They showed promise but it's still a big question mark.

Penski was our best D in Fargo last year and C. Poolman had one of the best freshman d campaigns ive seen in awhile. They’ll be fine. 

It appears Casey Johnson added a lot of weight too in the off-season. 

12 minutes ago, SiouxForever said:

Penski was our best D in Fargo last year and C. Poolman had one of the best freshman d campaigns ive seen in awhile. They’ll be fine. 

It appears Casey Johnson added a lot of weight too in the off-season. 

.........and that's saying something for a kid who can only turn to his left!

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I know they are only pre-season rankings.  However, I thought UND would be a solid #2. SCSU should be pretty solid though, even with the loss of Cholowski (sp?).

10 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The D should be fine.  Wolanin is much more of an offensive minded Dman but that core last year was littered with freshmen playing big minutes.  Wolanin, Shaw, Poolman, Peski, Johnson, etc will be a nice group banking on natural development.  Although we lost high end players the last two years we are bring back underclassmen that have played huge minutes in big time situations.  I expect guys like, JJ, Hoff, Pogo, Gersich, etc to have solid years.  

To your specific reference, Poolman didnt play against the greatest team ever assembled ( :) ) during last year's NCAAs and I thought our D looked very solid.  Wolanin was  man.  He's also coming off an MVP at the Sens dcamp.  Watch out.

• Like 1

Interesting article by Schloss on how preseason picks have fared in the NCHC:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/4330806-schlossman-how-have-preseason-nchc-favorites-fared

NCHC preseason favorites (actual finish)

2013-14: Miami (finished eighth)

2014-15: North Dakota (finished first)

2015-16: Minnesota Duluth (finished fourth)

2016-17: North Dakota (finished fourth)

2017-18: Denver (TBD)

Eventual Penrose Cup champions

2013-14: St. Cloud State (picked third)

2014-15: North Dakota (picked first)

2015-16: North Dakota (picked third)

2016-17: Denver (picked second)

2017-18: TBD

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

.........and that's saying something for a kid who can only turn to his left!

Didn't catch that the first time around, thought you were down on Peski, but now that I see your reference it rang a bell for me as well. 

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:06 PM, AJS said:

Jost / Boeser are amazing players that will be great in the NHL, but you also have to remember that between injuries & youth, neither made it to 40 points last year. I don't think it'll be as tough to replace that production as some.

I think we can find someone to pass up open shots on the break like Brock was doing vs BU ;-)

On 9/20/2017 at 7:57 AM, scpa0305 said:

The D should be fine.  Wolanin is much more of an offensive minded Dman but that core last year was littered with freshmen playing big minutes.  Wolanin, Shaw, Poolman, Peski, Johnson, etc will be a nice group banking on natural development.  Although we lost high end players the last two years we are bring back underclassmen that have played huge minutes in big time situations.  I expect guys like, JJ, Hoff, Pogo, Gersich, etc to have solid years.  

To your specific reference, Poolman didnt play against the greatest team ever assembled ( :) ) during last year's NCAAs and I thought our D looked very solid.  Wolanin was  man.  He's also coming off an MVP at the Sens dcamp.  Watch out.

As Wolanin goes, so will this team.  Guy has got unreal talent.  Can't wait to watch the kid break out this year.  Likely his last year in Grand Forks.  

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Godsmack said:

....and we gotta minimize giving up a quick goal immediately following us scoring a goal. Need good shifts following goals scored; it seemed to be an emotional let down for the players and fans alike last season when this would happen.

I definitely see this improving. That was a symptom of a young team. I think that's something that we'll address by just being a year older.

• Upvote 1

On 9/21/2017 at 10:15 PM, Wilbur said:

As Wolanin goes, so will this team.  Guy has got unreal talent.  Can't wait to watch the kid break out this year.  Likely his last year in Grand Forks.  

Agree with this.

Looking at the defense UND has returning, circle Wolanin. The is how I'd rank the returners, based on sticking them on any great defense.

• Poolman (2/3) - Best freshman season since Chorney, the guy was so solid.
  • Shaw (4) - Had the most improvement, comparable to Gersish, like Poolman, solid.
  • Peski (5)
  • Johnson (6/7)

Wolanin has a chance to be a legit #1 defenseman on the good defense, he has so much skill. If that takes place, you have to start filling in the spots. Like the rest of the team, it might be about depth. If Wolanin doesn't improve his defense immensely, he could still be around a 3/4 on a solid club. UND will need at least one freshman to push for the 5/6 spot, if the other is in 6/7 range, they are still looking good. 

18 minutes ago, AJS said:

Agree with this.

Looking at the defense UND has returning, circle Wolanin. The is how I'd rank the returners, based on sticking them on any great defense.

• Poolman (2/3) - Best freshman season since Chorney, the guy was so solid.
  • Shaw (4) - Had the most improvement, comparable to Gersish, like Poolman, solid.
  • Peski (5)
  • Johnson (6/7)

Wolanin has a chance to be a legit #1 defenseman on the good defense, he has so much skill. If that takes place, you have to start filling in the spots. Like the rest of the team, it might be about depth. If Wolanin doesn't improve his defense immensely, he could still be around a 3/4 on a solid club. UND will need at least one freshman to push for the 5/6 spot, if the other is in 6/7 range, they are still looking good. 

I didn't think Poolman played like a freshman last year, more like a sophomore