SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think he was talking about Schlossman. If the Strib was to offer him double what he makes for the Heraldo, I wouldn't blame him for taking it.

He'd welcome the increase in his pizza per diem!

#blacksheep

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think he was talking about Schlossman. If the Strib was to offer him double what he makes for the Heraldo, I wouldn't blame him for taking it.

I hear ya...but here's the bigger question.  Even though you'd be making more, how tough would it be to go from covering Sioux hockey - from the way they play to all the passion surrounding the program........to Gopher hockey?  How much is that paycheck really worth to a guy?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

I hear ya...but here's the bigger question.  Even though you'd be making more, how tough would it be to go from covering Sioux hockey - from the way they play to all the passion surrounding the program........to Gopher hockey?  How much is that paycheck really worth to a guy?

Yeah, there are a lot of factors involved. Also, would he want to leave Grand Forks and live in a much different place? I like the uncrowded nature of Grand Forks.

17 minutes ago, Ray77 said:

Doesn't Russo write for Wild hockey.  If offered I'm guessing he would take without much thought.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Doesn't Russo write for Wild hockey.  If offered I'm guessing he would take without much thought.

Good point - my bad.  And I couldn't blame him if he did that!  For some reason I was thinking Goofer hockey....DOH!  Now THAT would be a questionable move...

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Schlossman?  I thought he only covered Women's Hockey....;)

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Regarding Russo, didn't the STL Post-Dispatch just lose their hockey guy (covers the Blues)? 

Hmmm....

Heard he is going to work for "The Athletic" a new online venture of sports content. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, tnt said:

Heard he is going to work for "The Athletic" a new online venture of sports content. 

A couple Blue Jackets writers that I followed just left long-term gigs in traditional news media to go to the Athletic and are now stuck behind a pay wall. As I don't care about Cleveland/Cincinnatti sports or the other markets that they are currently covering I haven't pulled the trigger on a subscription yet. 

If Russo went there and they started covering other local sports here (Wild, Vikings, etc), I may just jump on board.

23 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Enough Russo and other non-UND hockey rubes.

Back to normal UND coverage ... 

https://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=107429 

I feel like most have felt that Jones was the most sensible guy to come in and instantly contribute. This seems like this enhances that thought. I love the idea of him being a fixture on the bottom 6 with a lot of young guys needing to step up. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I feel like most have felt that Jones was the most sensible guy to come in and instantly contribute. This seems like this enhances that thought. I love the idea of him being a fixture on the bottom 6 with a lot of young guys needing to step up. 

I don't know,  if you look at page 26 of this thread, it looked like he was almost an afterthought for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, tnt said:

I don't know,  if you look at page 26 of this thread, it looked like he was almost an afterthought for a lot of people.

Yeah, I guess it looks a little more 50/50. Maybe that's from conversations I've had since the roster first came out, I don't know.

Regardless, I like hearing this about him.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, I guess it looks a little more 50/50. Maybe that's from conversations I've had since the roster first came out, I don't know.

Regardless, I like hearing this about him.

For sure, we need to have as many freshmen as possible contributing early so we don't start out behind the eight ball in the pairwise.  With only 2 years, Jones needs to make the best of them, so hopefully he is one of the ones we can count on for production and responsibility in his own end from the get go.

RW after Pogo is totally up for grabs IMO.  Jones, Bowen, and Olson will fill the wings, but chemistry and work will determine who plays where.

I actually really like Mishmash, Gardner, Pogo as the first line-  tough to play against, NHL potential.

I want to see Gersich and Guch together maybe Bowen plays with them- they could fly

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, yzerman19 said:

RW after Pogo is totally up for grabs IMO.  Jones, Bowen, and Olson will fill the wings, but chemistry and work will determine who plays where.

I actually really like Mishmash, Gardner, Pogo as the first line-  tough to play against, NHL potential.

I want to see Gersich and Guch together maybe Bowen plays with them- they could fly

You also want to protect the freshies early in the season...putting Mishmash with the Gardner and Pogo puts him in a great position for success early.  Same goes with pairing Guch with Gersich...get them some points early on.