Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Frozen4sioux

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Literally done at every college campus around the country.  Every school has their "premier games" that they can justify selling at a higher price because they know they will sell.  And like others have said, if you can get a ticket for $99 for this game, jump on it!!  Secondary market is going to be insane!!  

 

Yes, it's a well established practice...just shuts out the average joe who wants to maybe bring the wife and kids to the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Literally done at every college campus around the country.  Every school has their "premier games" that they can justify selling at a higher price because they know they will sell.  And like others have said, if you can get a ticket for $99 for this game, jump on it!!  Secondary market is going to be insane!!  

 

If you're suggesting that 100% markup is the norm for premier games, I'd like to see some evidence. Not questioning your rationale (because I totally get it), just thinking you've mixed in a bit of hyperbole.

UND pulled a low-class move, that is almost impossible to defend.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Simple Supply and Demand.  I wouldn't be going, little too much for my budget.  I will watch on TV and attend multiple other games.  Personally these Gopher non-conference games would rank about 10th on my interest level to go watch.  If people are will to pay $100 a ticket, great for the university.  Lord knows they need the money.

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jdub27   
31 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Yes, it's a well established practice...just shuts out the average joe who wants to maybe bring the wife and kids to the game.

I mean, the weekend before, tickets will be $25/seat. Same with Thanksgiving weekend. I guess I see nothing wrong with a dynamic pricing model for games that are going to have a huge demand as long as they are offsetting it by lowering the price for games with less demand. I mean, for the right price, I'd sell my wife and kids tickets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

Tickets should be sold for fair market value.  FMV isn't $40 for these tickets.  This is much better than having an artificially low price, causing a ton of people to scramble trying to buy tickets to flip.  It makes no sense for the school to sell a $100+ asset to me for $40.  It also makes no sense for me to be mad that my school doesn't want me to get an asset at a huge discount.

I'd much rather have the program making $ off the tickets than some flipper.

Non-exhibition/holiday tickets have sold for $40-45 (less for kids) for years.  That's the price I've paid, and I believe it to be a fair price.  Isn't that the definition of FMV?  How can the seller uncharacteristically and blindly set the price at >100% markup for a pair of games and have that be chalked up to FMV?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Non-exhibition/holiday tickets have sold for $40-45 (less for kids) for years.  That's the price I've paid, and I believe it to be a fair price.  Isn't that the definition of FMV?  How can the seller uncharacteristically and blindly set the price at >100% markup for a pair of games and have that be chalked up to FMV?

The secondary market is a true indication of FMV.  You believe the FMV of the gopher tickets is $40-$45?  If so no tickets will be sold at $100.   I'll bet they sell out in a hurry.  $40 is FMV for a holiday game, I agree with that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Not to get gouged....went to the Gofer game last year at Mariucci and it was $75 a ticket.  I guess I was wrong when I thought that was high.

Our arena is better? Idk... I guess I didn't have any idea how much they'd cost, but the atmosphere alone for those games feels like it's worth the price they are asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Simple Supply and Demand.  I wouldn't be going, little too much for my budget.  I will watch on TV and attend multiple other games.  Personally these Gopher non-conference games would rank about 10th on my interest level to go watch.  If people are will to pay $100 a ticket, great for the university.  Lord knows they need the money.

 

Really? I am with you on the supply and demand comment, but I think you'd be in the minority with it being of lowered interest. These games will be sold out without a doubt and demand will be ridiculous.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

The secondary market is a true indication of FMV.  You believe the FMV of the gopher tickets is $40-$45?  If so no tickets will be sold at $100.   I'll bet they sell out in a hurry.  $40 is FMV for a holiday game, I agree with that.

Spot on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Really? I am with you on the supply and demand comment, but I think you'd be in the minority with it being of lowered interest. These games will be sold out without a doubt and demand will be ridiculous.

I know I'm in minority.  I just think the games are not as important being in a different conference. Rather go to games vs. duluth, St. Cloud and denver. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I know I'm in minority.  I just think the games are not as important being in a different conference. Rather go to games vs. duluth, St. Cloud and denver. 

Games will be huge come pairwise and tourney time you can count on that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, siouxstudent said:

Games will be huge come pairwise and tourney time you can count on that.

Agree.  As will every other game. And yes I get it some games will affect pairwise more/differently

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stromer   
3 hours ago, Big Green said:

I know I'm in minority.  I just think the games are not as important being in a different conference. Rather go to games vs. duluth, St. Cloud and denver. 

Totally agree with you. Now that this series is non conference, the luster has greatly faded.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stromer said:

Totally agree with you. Now that this series is non conference, the luster has greatly faded.

Honestly? I just don't get it. The intensity when these two play is just so high. I don't see how it's even faded a little. Adding most fans' hate for the Big 10, I think it may have amped up even a little bit. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? :)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At $99, I hope UND gets swept. Not remotely because I want to see the Gophers win, or the Hawks lose, but I do want to see the administration endure some bad karma for freaking doubling the cost of tickets for what amounts to a non-conference weekend that may matter little in the big picture.

Rivalry or no, that is a $hit ton of pressure on the home team not to stink up the place. I hope the boys can rise above it, but it's unfair to place them in that position. Big-time opponents have come to the REA for years, and lots of games with post-season implication have been played, but UND has never before had to resort to rank profiteering on the backs of fans.

  • Downvote 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Honestly? I just don't get it. The intensity when these two play is just so high. I don't see how it's even faded a little. Adding most fans' hate for the Big 10, I think it may have amped up even a little bit. Absence makes the heart grow fonder, right? :)

Id sacrifice an NCHC loss to know we are going to roll these goofs

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×