SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

20 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Possibility of a game in Nashville and if UND played an outdoor game at Target Field it would most likely be against one of the other Minnesota teams and not the Gophers.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4301651-und-plans-continue-playing-unique-showcase-hockey-games

The NCHC needs to continue that hockey showcase each year. 

Maybe get four teams to play at Target Field.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Possibility of a game in Nashville and if UND played an outdoor game at Target Field it would most likely be against one of the other Minnesota teams and not the Gophers.

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4301651-und-plans-continue-playing-unique-showcase-hockey-games

Inside-only hockey showcase games. There's plenty of untapped college hockey areas that would be successful.

No outdoor games unless it's an exhibition. Too much at stake and too many variables.

Don't risk lowering the quality of the game outside when you are trying to grow the overall college hockey game.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, LeftyZL said:

Inside-only hockey showcase games. There's plenty of untapped college hockey areas that would be successful.

No outdoor games unless it's an exhibition. Too much at stake and too many variables.

Don't risk lowering the quality of the game outside when you are trying to grow the overall college hockey game.

The NCHC needs to do games like the UND BC game at Madison Square Garden. 

I'm not a fan of outdoor games at all, but at some point UND will be in another outdoor game.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

1 hour ago, WiSioux said:

I vote Nashville!!!

Remember when Nashville was considered a disaster market for the NHL and how stupid Gary Bettman was for helping to put a team there?  It's been a GREAT addition to the league (along with Tampa Bat) even if Florida, Atlanta, and Phoenix/Arizona have been total disasters.  

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

Had a great time in Omaha for the outdoor game, but that was enough for this lifetime. It's a terrible way to watch/ play a hockey game. 

But that particular game was tainted by warm weather/bad ice, a severed coolant line, a lopsided crowd and outcome, and the fact it's a freaking baseball stadium in a decidedly non-hockey town.  Weather is definitely a variable, but people's mileage may vary here depending on circumstances.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

But that particular game was tainted by warm weather/bad ice, a severed coolant line, a lopsided crowd and outcome, and the fact it's a freaking baseball stadium in a decidedly non-hockey town.  Weather is definitely a variable, but people's mileage may vary here depending on circumstances.

It wasn't that warm, but it was sunny and the sun melted the ice wherever there was paint during the afternoon game. Blue lines,crease,etc. They delayed our game until dark. It was plenty cold then.They hit the coolant line when they drilled out the holes for the goal posts. Bad ice is pretty much a given in an outdoor game. The only place you could actually see the ice was from the upper deck,and then you were so far away you couldn't see the puck. Target field is a freaking baseball stadium. Outdoor games suck. 

• Upvote 3

I would be in favor of an outdoor game in Minneapolis....but not at Target Field.  As said before, site lines at a baseball stadium are horrible.  Was anyone at the Outdoor Wild game at TCF?  I think that went over pretty well.  I think the ice conditions would be drastically better considering the game would likely be in the dead of winter in Minnesota and not in Nebraska.  Have a couple games there to sell more tickets.  Get some old WCHA teams back together.  Have Mankato vs St Cloud in one game and North Dakota vs Minnesota in the other.  Given the proximity of all those teams, attendance should be pretty good.  

6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I would be in favor of an outdoor game in Minneapolis....but not at Target Field.  As said before, site lines at a baseball stadium are horrible.  Was anyone at the Outdoor Wild game at TCF?  I think that went over pretty well.  I think the ice conditions would be drastically better considering the game would likely be in the dead of winter in Minnesota and not in Nebraska.  Have a couple games there to sell more tickets.  Get some old WCHA teams back together.  Have Mankato vs St Cloud in one game and North Dakota vs Minnesota in the other.  Given the proximity of all those teams, attendance should be pretty good.  

I was there, and had a great time!  That said, it's still tough viewing because of the distance to the ice.  We were in the front couple rows of the upper deck, so we could see OK, but if you were further back, or lower down where the boards would obstruct your view, I think it would have been tough.  For an experience, I give it an A+, for viewing a hockey game, a B-.  I would think they could help the viewing by putting the ice all the way to one sideline (instead of centered in the stadium), then using some bleachers for seating on the other side.  You couldn't get as many people in the stands, of course, buy it would be better sightlines. 

Special game sites id like to see

Nashville

Sprint Center Kansas City

Staples Center around New Years. That would be a good NCHC showcase game with Arizona State as the opponent. The West Coast equivalent of MSG with tons to do.

Lake Placid vs Clarkson or St. Lawrence

9 hours ago, nodakvindy said:

Special game sites id like to see

Nashville

Sprint Center Kansas City

Staples Center around New Years. That would be a good NCHC showcase game with Arizona State as the opponent. The West Coast equivalent of MSG with tons to do.

Lake Placid vs Clarkson or St. Lawrence

T-Mobile Arena Vs. the Gophers 2018

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, burd said:

Lumberdome with DU in January.   20 below.   Only a couple hundred would be able to watch it, but if you're one of them . . .

Man does that rink back memories from the 70's. One of the coldest rinks I have ever played in. Damn fast ice though.

• Upvote 1

Would be interesting to see UND play an exhibition in Minot against Manitoba in the Pepsi arena.  Would make for an incredible atmosphere instead of a half asleep Ralph with a lot of empty seats.

Also would love to see a UND-Michigan series at the new arena in Detroit, then again, haven't ever heard good things about Detroit.....

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

There is probably an NCAA rule against that.

I feel like when I was younger I saw the gophers play professional teams from Europe in exhibitions. Could be wrong, or I suppose rules could have changed since then; but I remember them skating around looking like they belonged in NASCAR with the advertisements all over their equipment.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Godsmack said:

I remember seeing UND play some team from Russia called Dynamo at the old Ralph back in about '83 or so. Perhaps the NCAA rules have changed since then.

Per the media guide, they played Spartak Moscow in Switzerland in the '82-'83 season.
They played Moscow Dynamo at home at the old Ralph in the '90-'91 season.

• Upvote 2