SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

http://undhockey.areavoices.com/?p=107234 I would think it would be kind of weird for Hyrnkiw to step in already and be the goalie coach. 

That's what I was thinking too.  Plus, with a brain like his, wouldn't he be going to work a big fancy job?  He may be staying in GF, but to me, that doesn't seem very likely.

1 hour ago, I Ranger said:

I don't think a volunteer position is getting anyone to retire from their playing career. It has to be a convenience for someone like it was for Goehring who was living in GF and working in another field who had the time and desire to help out the program.

Lammy probably has more than enough money to live off of for a little while, he has a family (young kid probably getting ready to start school), just won his league's championship, what more does he have left in him? I think he would sit down with his family and discuss it if it were brought to his attention. Again, it may be a volunteer position in the eyes of the NCAA but they get paid. He also runs helps run his own hockey school.

19 minutes ago, George M. Bluth said:

That's what I was thinking too.  Plus, with a brain like his, wouldn't he be going to work a big fancy job?  He may be staying in GF, but to me, that doesn't seem very likely.

He's working at Fusion Automation in Grand Forks right now, he interned there while going to school. From talking to him it sounded like his plan was to get some experience in Grand Forks and eventually move back near his hometown. I suppose he could be a goalie coach as well as work like Karl did.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, I Ranger said:

I don't think a volunteer position is getting anyone to retire from their playing career. It has to be a convenience for someone like it was for Goehring who was living in GF and working in another field who had the time and desire to help out the program.

Stories I heard about this volunteer position is...."it pays pretty good.... from the program (donors)" not a check from UND.....?

I don't know if it is part of the deal with being a volunteer coach but Karl also taught some classes for the College of Business. Sports Finance and maybe Sports Management. 

Karl is a good guy and I am happy for him. When the announcement came out I was super happy he was working for the Lighting. I was a little bummed that it ended up being for their minor team in Syracuse. I guess you have to get your foot in the door. 

On 7/12/2017 at 10:37 AM, siouxkid12 said:

Lammy probably has more than enough money to live off of for a little while, he has a family (young kid probably getting ready to start school), just won his league's championship, what more does he have left in him? I think he would sit down with his family and discuss it if it were brought to his attention. Again, it may be a volunteer position in the eyes of the NCAA but they get paid. He also runs helps run his own hockey school.

He has a 3 year old son and a daughter that was born this winter.

I'm planning on making one of the away game series this season but can only chose one and it has to be before x-mas break. I've got it narrowed down to the CC series or the Denver series. Obviously the Denver series will be more exciting hockey, so I'm leaning towards that trip. But when it comes down to travel, restaurants and day time activities, which of the two would you recommend? I know there is a direct flight out of Devils Lake to Denver for like $250 

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I'm planning on making one of the away game series this season but can only chose one and it has to be before x-mas break. I've got it narrowed down to the CC series or the Denver series. Obviously the Denver series will be more exciting hockey, so I'm leaning towards that trip. But when it comes down to travel, restaurants and day time activities, which of the two would you recommend? I know there is a direct flight out of Devils Lake to Denver for like $250 

I've never been to an away series either but I was thinking the Duluth series would be a good one

4 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

They're like an hour and fifteen minutes apart... Pretty much any activities could be done in either location. Obviously Denver is the bigger city and will have more activities. It's like asking the difference between Fargo and Grand Forks.

9 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

It depends upon what you would prefer to do in your non-hockey time.  Colorado Springs offers some great outdoor activities that are close in (Garden of the Gods for one), while Denver will offer more metropolitan options.

6 hours ago, WiSioux said:

They're like an hour and fifteen minutes apart... Pretty much any activities could be done in either location. Obviously Denver is the bigger city and will have more activities. It's like asking the difference between Fargo and Grand Forks.

I realize they're not far apart...thanks for the fantastic feed back. 

Ive never been to either so I wasn't sure if Colorado Springs had a ton of must sees that made the extra miles worth while or not. 

12 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Frontier is coming back to Fargo later this year. Should make for some cheap flights (Denver) if you're quick and the dates are right.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

If it were me ... I would go for the better hockey series.  

Sightseeing is hard to recommend because so much is personal preference.  What do you love to do?   

From Denver, I might just drive up into the mountains on Saturday morning and have breakfast in Breckenridge or Frisco.   In Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods is a great place to spend a couple hours walking in an other worldly setting; the Olympic Training Center is something different and interesting, the Pikes Peak Railway is also something you just don't get to see in the flatlands.  If your schedule allows it, add a day or two.  

• Upvote 1

As someone who lives between Denver and the springs, I would recommend the springs for a tourist. Better chance for a couple wins, please better seats usually available in the arena. 

Lots of places to visit: Garden of the Gods, Air Force Academy, Pikes Peak, Cave of the Winds, USOTC.  

Hotels closer to the arena as well. The DoubleTree is usually packed with UND fans and is great for walking to the game with plenty of restaurants nearby. A quick ride downtown for late night options. 

• Upvote 1