SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, siouxforcefans said:

Remember 4 months ago when half this board wanted Trevor Olson on the bench?  Not saying you were one of them siouxfan512, but it strikes me as odd how he's not been mentioned as the designated player riding the pine in this thread.  Did he improve that much at the end of the season?  Or did people just get to like him and his perceived leadership capabilities?

4 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, I don't see Olson sitting whatsoever. That kid showed some skill down the stretch and is solid in his role.

Honestly, I don't remember. I may have been one of those people. Whenever teams struggle to score, and go through a slump like we were going though in Feb, fan are going to look for someone to blame. Olson never hit the stat sheet .... to be completely fair to Olson, his game is not all about hitting the stat sheet, he does plenty of other things really well. And he really did come up big in March. Definitely some leadership qualities in the kid.

I don't think there is a clear cut forward that you sit next year, which should mean (injuries aside) they have the option to rotate, go with the hot hand, and rest people. No doubt this should be a fairly deep team next year, and as fun as it is to watch a DOT or CBS line, watching 4 lines that can all be dangerous is probably more fun through the game and season. 

Final thought, I love my summers and I don't want to wish them away, but I'm ready for some Sioux Football and Sioux Hockey already!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Kiersted coming in too?  How many D do we have total now, 9?

Figured he would just based on talent only question for me was he missed a lot of time in the 2nd half of the season with some kind of injury and not sure what it was and how the recovery would be. Chartrand is a guy who hasn't played through 2 years so I doubt they are counting on him for much and it wouldn't be a surprise if he looks to transfer.

5 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Figured he would just based on talent only question for me was he missed a lot of time in the 2nd half of the season with some kind of injury and not sure what it was and how the recovery would be. Chartrand is a guy who hasn't played through 2 years so I doubt they are counting on him for much and it wouldn't be a surprise if he looks to transfer.

Ask a guy like Colton Sanderson if transferring or giving up on UND is the right choice. I think he may have a thing or two to say about that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Agreed no way chartrand even sniffs a game.  But excluding chartrand, who sits?  All our current guys developed nicely as the year went on and bast and kiersted are pretty dang talented.  

57 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed no way chartrand even sniffs a game.  But excluding chartrand, who sits?  All our current guys developed nicely as the year went on and bast and kiersted are pretty dang talented.  

Until proven otherwise, I think we go with what we know.... Wolanin, Shaw, Johnson, Peski, Colton... earn that 6th spot, boys.

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Until proven otherwise, I think we go with what we know.... Wolanin, Shaw, Johnson, Peski, Colton... earn that 6th spot, boys.

After what started out as a young, somehwhat inexperience D core this season, that looks pretty damn solid for next year. Shaw has really become a nice player, and Peski was absolutely the most improved over the course of the season.

Seriously, this team looks pretty deep for next year.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

After what started out as a young, somehwhat inexperience D core this season, that looks pretty damn solid for next year. Shaw has really become a nice player, and Peski was absolutely the most improved over the course of the season.

Seriously, this team looks pretty deep for next year.

Absolutely. I love it. 

19 hours ago, SiouxScore said:

Chartrand is a guy who hasn't played through 2 years so I doubt they are counting on him for much and it wouldn't be a surprise if he looks to transfer.

He actually fits the historic demographic of guys who aren't on the team as juniors: Just completed sophomore season with very few games/minutes. 

I don't expect them to carry 9 D next season. 

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed. I'm just shocked that a guy as good as Kiersted would risk sitting.  Must be a smart kid and see the bigger picture.  Get in the program and train.  Also, Johnson has to be a close lock don't you think?  He was pretty solid in that BU game if I remember and has decent size.  The one thing that both Bast and Kiersted bring is a higher end o game.  I do like our core for next year though.  Entire team actually.

2 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Agreed. I'm just shocked that a guy as good as Kiersted would risk sitting.  Must be a smart kid and see the bigger picture.  Get in the program and train.  Also, Johnson has to be a close lock don't you think?  He was pretty solid in that BU game if I remember and has decent size.  The one thing that both Bast and Kiersted bring is a higher end o game.  I do like our core for next year though.  Entire team actually.

Yeah, I think those five are locks, Johnson included, until someone takes their spot. Bast and Kiersted battle for No. 6. 

I think Wolanin, Shaw and Colton play every night without injury. After that, Peski, Johnson, Bast and Kierstad battle for spots 4 through 6, with the sophomores getting the early leg up because of experience. Just my $0.02.

37 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yeah, I think those five are locks, Johnson included, until someone takes their spot. Bast and Kiersted battle for No. 6. 

I think Wolanin, Shaw and Colton play every night without injury. After that, Peski, Johnson, Bast and Kierstad battle for spots 4 through 6, with the sophomores getting the early leg up because of experience. Just my $0.02.

After what I saw against Boston Peski could be one of our best players next year.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Whoops, didnt initially see Johnson in your listing.

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

When Rieger committed I kind of wondered if he was filling the Chartrand role although he may be better overall. He does have the advantage of being a right handed shot which we don't have a lot of but I don't see him getting a lot of ice time at least early on. I think Shaw, Poolman, Peski, and Wolanin are pretty good bets to be in the lineup early. Then you have Johnson, Bast, and Kiersted to battle for 2 spots. I liked the way Johnson progressed through the year and thought the BU game was one of his best games of the season. Bast is a guy who has been called Stecher like by some and would give you another righty in the lineup which gives him a leg up on Kiersted as of now but Kiersted is a very good skater and puck mover as well.

On 5/5/2017 at 0:04 PM, scpa0305 said:

Sounds like he's got an injury that will slow him down a bit at the start. However, he's gonna get his shot, for sure.

On 5/5/2017 at 4:46 PM, SiouxScore said:

When Rieger committed I kind of wondered if he was filling the Chartrand role although he may be better overall. He does have the advantage of being a right handed shot which we don't have a lot of but I don't see him getting a lot of ice time at least early on. I think Shaw, Poolman, Peski, and Wolanin are pretty good bets to be in the lineup early. Then you have Johnson, Bast, and Kiersted to battle for 2 spots. I liked the way Johnson progressed through the year and thought the BU game was one of his best games of the season. Bast is a guy who has been called Stecher like by some and would give you another righty in the lineup which gives him a leg up on Kiersted as of now but Kiersted is a very good skater and puck mover as well.

That's how I see it as well. A 5-8 of Johnson, Bast, Kierstad and Rieger is considerably deeper and better than Johnson, Bast, Rieger and Chartrand. With injuries, switching guys in, UND usually has the "7th guy" play 25+ games, so you need to be able to roll 7 deep. This also clears future years with Tychonick being the only '18 commit being able to step in for Wolanin who will most likely turn pro after next year. Excited for the dcore next year and for years to come. 

18 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Sounds like he's got an injury that will slow him down a bit at the start. However, he's gonna get his shot, for sure.

Curious what the injury is.  He's pretty much been our since the World Junior A Challenge....which was mid December.  It must be really bad.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, tnt said:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4271430-how-und-happy-go-lucky-guy-became-key-player-penguins-playoffs

Very interesting article by Schlossman on the emergence of Carter Rowney.   Especially interesting is the fact that his rookie class both he and Dell were the only two players that weren't drafted and they are the only two in the NHL.  Also thought it was interesting that the coach of Grand Prairie called the coaches and told them he was a North Dakota type of player.  Kind of goes to show you that all the gnashing of teeth over the talent or lack thereof coming in on any given year doesn't really reflect how things will turn out in the end.  Could definitely use a few more 4-year players like Carter Rowney. 

Pogo reminds me a lot of Rowns, despite obviously being drafted. Hopefully he has as big a senior year as Carter did.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

I hope not, Rowney scored less as a senior...

I'm fully aware that Rowney scored less points as a senior, but that wasn't all Rowney was about. Pogo reminds me of Rowns in many ways. Leadership, size, relative speed, etc., etc. Thanks for pointing out an obvious, however. I appreciate it.