SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

No way.  But it's over, so it is what it is. 

I guess I don't understand why you disagree. Rinks was the No. 2 all year. UND has always been a team to elevate players based on practice performance. If Tomek was playing better in practice, he would have been the No. 2.

• Upvote 1

Bingo, this is partly on the coaches/team.  I get why the coaches did it, but Tomek clearly needed more time in juniors.  This whole situation was mishandled.

No way Hak and Co thought Hrynkiw would be a starter at any point during his career... and if he was then UND was in trouble.  Yes, Tomek could have used an extra year to get ready but when Zane turned pro UND had an unreliable backup as their soon-to-be starting goalie.  You have to bring Tomek in.

I think more detrimental to Tomek's development was the injury he suffered.  He still has some concerns about moving across the paint without pulling something.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I guess I don't understand why you disagree. Rinks was the No. 2 all year. UND has always been a team to elevate players based on practice performance. If Tomek was playing better in practice, he would have been the No. 2.

I don't believe so.  But as I mentioned, it's over now.  If it were my (educated guess), it was a culture thing.

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Agreed. Coaches may not have expected Rinks to be the #2 over the past 2 years, but he clears was. And in most cases (championship season) he made the most of it.

Clearly, Tomek was the more highly touted recruit, but obviously he didn't prove himself enough, or he would have played more than he did. So whether his issue was getting beat out on the ice, or attitude in the locker room, or a little of both, clearly the coaches didn't think he was ready to start or be the back up, given his competition.

Best of luck to the guy .... unless he comes back to college and players for the Gopher or Badger or some other ridiculous team.

• Upvote 1

Interesting factoid: 

Matty Rinks just turned ... 25 (per HockeyDB.com). He was 23 when he went 10-2-2 and was a huge part of Number Eight. 

Tomek is not yet 20. Nor is Thome. Ryan Anderson is about 21.5 right now. Cam turns 23 this summer. As things look now, the blue paint will be handed over to a 21 year old Thome. Schlossman had an article a while back looking at how UND seldom has had a #1 goalie under age 20 in the last two decades. A 21 year old underclassman starting goalie fits the pattern. 

Goalies are like fine wine. They take a while to age into good use. But to age they must be in the correct environment, meaning they need pucks and game competition. 

Then again, goalies are like money and pizza -- ain't no such thing as too much. 

The hot rumor in the "early departures" thread is Wilkie is transferring to CC to be with his brother. (Yet to be confirmed.) 

That would make roster sense. We ran last year with 14 F (normally it's 15 F). Boeser and Jost go. Four come in*. That makes 16 F. I figured someone may be going to make it the normal 15 F. 

*Kawaguchi, Jones, Mismash, Adams. 

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The hot rumor in the "early departures" thread is Wilkie is transferring to CC to be with his brother. (Yet to be confirmed.) 

That would make roster sense. We ran last year with 14 F (normally it's 15 F). Boeser and Jost go. Four come in*. That makes 16 F. I figured someone may be going to make it the normal 15 F. 

*Kawaguchi, Jones, Mismash, Adams. 

That stinks.....unless he stays the same at CC.  Like I've always said.  College puck can be tough, sometimes you need a year or two to feel it out.  On the flip side, the four you listed all need to play from day one, so someone would have to sit.

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

On the flip side, the four you listed all need to play from day one, so someone would have to sit.

On the assumption the rumor of Wilkie gone is accurate, tell me who sits: 

• Simonson
  • Olson
  • Poganski
  • Gornall
  • Gersich
  • Gardner
  • Janatuinen
  • Yon
  • Bowen
  • Smith
  • Hoff
  • Jones
  • Kawaguchi
  • Adams
  • Mismash

2 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

• Simonson
  • Olson
  • Poganski
  • Gornall
  • Gersich
  • Gardner
  • Janatuinen
  • Yon
  • Bowen
  • Smith
  • Hoff
  • Jones
  • Kawaguchi
  • Adams
  • Mismash

Do we hope for injuries? Somewhat joking.

I don't believe so.  But as I mentioned, it's over now.  If it were my (educated guess), it was a culture thing.

The difference is you are making an educated guess vs having sources tell you this information. Sorry but I'll go with sources over armchair coaching.

So Bubs and Co. just decided to play Rinks in the #2 spot for shits and giggles all season? 

I know you don't want to believe it but Tomek was the 3rd best goalie on this team last year. Multiple sources have confirmed this. Like you said though, he may need to mature and get older to show his potential. I truly wish him the best.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

So Bubs and Co. just decided to play Rinks in the #2 spot for shits and giggles all season? 

I know you don't want to believe it but Tomek was the 3rd best goalie on this team last year. Multiple sources have confirmed this. Like you said though, he may need to mature and get older to show his potential. I truly wish him the best.

I went to the open practice at Scheels in March.
In a mere hour, I saw first hand why Rinks was dressing as the #2. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

• Simonson
  • Olson
  • Poganski
  • Gornall
  • Gersich
  • Gardner
  • Janatuinen
  • Yon
  • Bowen
  • Smith
  • Hoff
  • Jones
  • Kawaguchi
  • Adams
  • Mismash

I'd guess you rotate some guys like Yon, Simo, Gornall ... and obviously there will be some injuries at some point. It is just inevitable.

Not always bad to rotate some of those guys, especially some of the guys that play those grinder roles. Keeps  them fresh and healthy, which will be important when they are playing in St. Paul next Spring.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

• Simonson
  • Olson
  • Poganski
  • Gornall
  • Gersich
  • Gardner
  • Janatuinen
  • Yon
  • Bowen
  • Smith
  • Hoff
  • Jones
  • Kawaguchi
  • Adams
  • Mismash

"injury" has the first spot, but I'd sit Simo, then maybe Hoff and Jones depending on who is slumping and who has the hot hand. That would've been a much easier question if Wilkie was listed. He would've had a lot of pretzel cheese and pizza sauce on his dress shirts and ties by the end of the season. 

Flip from last season- I think the D-core will be solid and the forwards will be the weakness. But who knows, maybe we will see some unexpected production from a few of the grinder guys and get even more out of the guys we knew would be decent. I see Pogo with another middle of the pack season, but I've got a good feeling about Gersich, Kawa, Mismash and Bowen. Gardner will play his role, Hoff and Janatuinen will have flashes of production. 

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:
  • Simonson   - SR
  • Olson         - SR
  • Poganski    - SR
  • Gornall       - JR
  • Gersich      - JR
  • Gardner     - JR
  • Janatuinen - JR
  • Jones         - JR
  • Yon            - SO
  • Bowen       - SO
  • Smith         - SO
  • Hoff            - SO
  • Kawaguchi - FR
  • Adams       - FR
  • Mismash    - FR

Nice to have a team with upper classmen again.

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

• Simonson
  • Olson
  • Poganski
  • Gornall
  • Gersich
  • Gardner
  • Janatuinen
  • Yon
  • Bowen
  • Smith
  • Hoff
  • Jones
  • Kawaguchi
  • Adams
  • Mismash

Who sits?   NOT the 12 who want to skate.   Just sayin.

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

• Simonson
  • Olson
  • Poganski
  • Gornall
  • Gersich
  • Gardner
  • Janatuinen
  • Yon
  • Bowen
  • Smith
  • Hoff
  • Jones
  • Kawaguchi
  • Adams
  • Mismash

No, I was agreeing with you.  But I'll bite and say Wilkie starts before Gornall or smith.  But obviously wilkie would have to be much more productive in a top 6 role or learn how to play a bottom six role.

18 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

I'd guess you rotate some guys like Yon, Simo, Gornall ... and obviously there will be some injuries at some point. It is just inevitable.

Not always bad to rotate some of those guys, especially some of the guys that play those grinder roles. Keeps  them fresh and healthy, which will be important when they are playing in St. Paul next Spring.

Remember 4 months ago when half this board wanted Trevor Olson on the bench?  Not saying you were one of them siouxfan512, but it strikes me as odd how he's not been mentioned as the designated player riding the pine in this thread.  Did he improve that much at the end of the season?  Or did people just get to like him and his perceived leadership capabilities?

56 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

Remember 4 months ago when half this board wanted Trevor Olson on the bench?  Not saying you were one of them siouxfan512, but it strikes me as odd how he's not been mentioned as the designated player riding the pine in this thread.  Did he improve that much at the end of the season?  Or did people just get to like him and his perceived leadership capabilities?

Both, I believe he was the leading scorer since like February to the end of the season but someone else can confirm.

Olson showed some me skills that I wasn't aware he had at the college level, it was impressive.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, siouxforcefans said:

Yeah, I don't see Olson sitting whatsoever. That kid showed some skill down the stretch and is solid in his role.

• Upvote 1