Frozen4sioux

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

645 posts in this topic

Lose boeser and tucker and we still have an awesome team next year.  Lose Cam and we have capable goalies to step in. I do think a guy like pogo or wolanin may sign....hopefully I'm wrong.  I think jost may stay and be captain of Canada for the U20s, that will be the only thing holding him from signing 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Lose boeser and tucker and we still have an awesome team next year.  Lose Cam and we have capable goalies to step in. I do think a guy like pogo or wolanin may sign....hopefully I'm wrong.  I think jost may stay and be captain of Canada for the U20s, that will be the only thing holding him from signing 

Wolanin signing a pro contract as a D-man? If that's the case I picked the wrong profession. Guy is very talented but playing defense is not his specialty. I really would like to see him get an opportunity at forward.

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Lose boeser and tucker and we still have an awesome team next year.  Lose Cam and we have capable goalies to step in. I do think a guy like pogo or wolanin may sign....hopefully I'm wrong.  I think jost may stay and be captain of Canada for the U20s, that will be the only thing holding him from signing 

I have a good feeling about Jost staying. I wouldn't be sad if Johnson or Wolanin left early but would be if Pogo did. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Flip this: 
Who in the recruiting pipeline is ready to come in? 

Gooch

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, siouxweet said:

Any ideas of what the schedule is going to look like?

I heard we open in Alaska. Non-Conf there's Minnesota and Wisconsin, and I think Union is making their return trip (unless that's a season out) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Flip this: 
Who in the recruiting pipeline is ready to come in? 

I second this. Mismash for sure. And he could very well end up a late first rounder in this summers draft.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Flip this: 
Who in the recruiting pipeline is ready to come in? 

Collin Adams. Grant Mismash. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, we have some nice kids coming in.  We just need to hang on to some of these guys who will have decisions to make.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We only age out two seniors (Ausmus and Hrynkiw). 

I'm strictly looking at DOB (not thinking health and such): 

Gabe Bast and Josh Rieger are '96 DOBs. They have to come now or they start losing NCAA eligibility by being over 21 at arrival. 
That tells me the team knows the need two defensemen (Ausmus obviously, and Tucker Poolman) and it's Bast and Rieger. 

The team loses SR Matty Rinks.
Peter Thome is a '97 DOB. Pretty clear there. Adam Scheel is a 1999. He's the insurance depending on Cam (or even Tomek). 

We've lost Boeser. His 'cou jersey is hanging in the visitor's locker room in The X (just saw it on the Twit). 
Seems clear Nic Jones (1996 DOB, transfer from OSU who is doing the transfer sit-out year in Penticton) is that slot at forward. 

UND ran a 14-8-4 (26 man) roster this year when it's normally 15-8-3. I wonder if they'll bring in 1997 DOB Kawaguchi to try to increase competition (and scoring). The only other 1997 is Keane and he really didn't light up the USHL this year. I suspect he's the insurance. 

After that, all the pipeline guys are 1998 or younger DOBs. I suppose you dip into the best of those as needed. 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

I agree........ possibly Pogo too but that would be a mistake. Jost should come back. Why be 18 and spend some of your teenage years in a dumpster fire?

 

My gut tells me the Avs will want Jost now. Obviously they are in the rebuilding mode and they will want to develop their young talent. My gut is rarely right so there is that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

We only age out two seniors (Ausmus and Hrynkiw). 

I'm strictly looking at DOB (not thinking health and such): 

Gabe Bast and Josh Rieger are '96 DOBs. They have to come now or they start losing NCAA eligibility by being over 21 at arrival. 
That tells me the team knows the need two defensemen (Ausmus obviously, and Tucker Poolman) and it's Bast and Rieger. 

The team loses SR Matty Rinks.
Peter Thome is a '97 DOB. Pretty clear there. Adam Scheel is a 1999. He's the insurance depending on Cam (or even Tomek). 

We've lost Boeser. His 'cou jersey is hanging in the visitor's locker room in The X (just saw it on the Twit). 
Seems clear Nic Jones (1996 DOB, transfer from OSU who is doing the transfer sit-out year in Penticton) is that slot at forward. 

UND ran a 14-8-4 (26 man) roster this year when it's normally 15-8-3. I wonder if they'll bring in 1997 DOB Kawaguchi to try to increase competition (and scoring). The only other 1997 is Keane and he really didn't light up the USHL this year. I suspect he's the insurance. 

After that, all the pipeline guys are 1998 or younger DOBs. I suppose you dip into the best of those as needed. 

 

What about Mismash, Kawaguchi, and C. Adams?  I would suspect they will be in NoDak uniforms this fall.  Their are also others in the pipeline to fill any voids.  Our D-Corps should be very solid next year.  Peski really developed during the year and I thought C. Johnson played overall a pretty good game yesterday.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Flip this: 
Who in the recruiting pipeline is ready to come in? 

Mismash , jones,kawaguchi, adams, bast

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing Boeser and Jost would junk-punch an already offensively challenged team. 

Worse? Who's the leader? I still say the 2016-17 team lacked leadership. 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Losing Boeser and Jost would junk-punch an already offensively challenged team. 

Worse? Who's the leader? I still say the 2016-17 team lacked leadership. 

Bubs will find someone.  This year's team was just snake bit a lot.  Rarely did they get the greasy goals or lucky bounces.  Last nights game was a great example.  Clearly they were the better team but just couldn't get that lucky bounce (rather unlikely stuff happened).  Next year's a new year.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Losing Boeser and Jost would junk-punch an already offensively challenged team. 

Worse? Who's the leader? I still say the 2016-17 team lacked leadership. 

Wolanin comes to mind. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

About the 2017-18 defense, well, it makes me smile. 

4, 5, and 6 have come a long ways. Add in 24 and 28 and there's a core five. 

Now, that said, let me add 24 needs to improve on the defensive part of his game. Markedly. He makes some questionable choices. Running the point? Sure? But 5x5 in a tie game he needs to think more "defend" and less "jump in" unless he knows there's a responsible forward and center out there with him to cover for him. 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Wolanin comes to mind. 

Pretty telling when him and Rhett are the ones to address the media after a loss like yesterday's.

What leaders do. 

I think among underclassmen a clear leadership group emerged this year. Didn't see it right away, but I think it's clear now. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watch the replay of 24's goal to tie it up. Sick! That is a great move. Great hands. Put that kid on a wing.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

Trevor Olson with the C unless Jost stays

Simo with an A again

Poolman or Poganski, maybe Jost with the C if they stay, Rhett, maybe Olson with an A

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, keikla said:

Pogo is a beast.  If he stays, he's going to be a Brad Malone/Matt Frattin/etc. absolute definition of a power forward.

that was the expectation of him this year but he didn't even close to those guys

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

that was the expectation of him this year but he didn't even close to those guys

Poganski's numbers this year, 12 goals and 13 assists, are nearly identical to Malone's junior year...11 goals and 14 assists.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now