SiouxSports.com Forum

University of North Dakota Hockey 2017-18 Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Wolanin could be our best player next year and he would still be the favorite whipping boy of many people. We wouldn't have even gone to overtime without his outstanding goal against BU. He's the only guy on the team capable of that type of play. 

The guy who was playing last Saturday seemed like a different player than one from pre-Christmas this year.

9 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

The guy who was playing last Saturday seemed like a different player than one from pre-Christmas this year.

Saturday??? Who is that? :huh:

Keller looked better than he did on Friday. ;)

I'll include Poganski in my lineup for now since he hasn't signed yet. If he does end up signing I'd probably slide Bowen up to play with Gersich and Mismash and put Kawaguchi or Jones in his slot with Hoff and Yon.

Mismash-Gersich-Poganski
Janatuinen-Gardner-Adams
Yon-Hoff-Bowen
Smith-Simonson-Olson
Poolman-Peski
Shaw-Bast
Wolanin-Johnson
Cam

7 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

1st draft:

Gersich - Hoff - Pogo (until he signs im assuming he stays)

Mismash - Rhett - Olson

JJ - Kawaguchi - Wilkie

C. Adams - Simo - Njones  - (Yes I know I'm missing Bowen in a 3rd or 4th line role, does he play over Simo? :) )

Wolanin - Peski

Poolman - Shaw

Johnson - Bast

Cam

Tomek

This is a tough roster to predict....Assuming the Caps don't need Gersich yet, Wilkie signs with Fla, and Tomek bounces....here is my prediction:

Gersich - Kawaguchi - Bowen
Yon - Hoff - Poganski
Janatuinen - Gardner - Simonson
Olson - Gornall - Mismash

Bast - Poolman
Kiersted - Wolanin
Peski - Johnson

Johnson
Thome
Anderson

6 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

I'll include Poganski in my lineup for now since he hasn't signed yet. If he does end up signing I'd probably slide Bowen up to play with Gersich and Mismash and put Jones in his slot with Hoff and Yon.

Mismash-Gersich-Poganski
Janatuinen-Gardner-Adams
Yon-Hoff-Bowen
Smith-Simonson-Olson
Poolman-Peski
Shaw-Bast
Wolanin-Johnson
Cam

I'd think Kawaguchi is in before Adams.

1 minute ago, UNDSioux23 said:

This is a tough roster to predict....Assuming the Caps don't need Gersich yet, Wilkie signs with Fla, and Tomek bounces....here is my prediction:

Yon - Hoff - Poganski

Bast - Poolman
Kiersted - Wolanin
Peski - Johnson

Johnson
Thome
Anderson

Wait, what? LOL

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, UNDSioux23 said:

Totally agree with this year's numbers he's put up!

I think both Kawaguchi and Adams are going to be fantastic college hockey players. One thing to note is Adams is a year younger and plays in the USHL, where stats are much harder to come by. Regardless, love bringing in Top 10 scorers from either league.

This is going to be a very good Freshman class.

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, UNDSioux23 said:

Yon - Hoff - Poganski

Bast - Poolman
Kiersted - Wolanin
Peski - Johnson

Johnson
Thome
Anderson

Mismash is going to be a 1st/2nd rounder, he won't be on the 4th.  Also, Collin Adams will be good next year, so he'll play. Nick jones should also cut the lineup especially without pogo.

11 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Next year's team will struggle offensively.........and this year's team was shut out, I believe, 5 times.

True but they played without Boeser, or a healthy  Boeser for a good share of the season.  That accounts for some of it.

43 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

So guaranteed top 6:  Pogo, Gardner, Gersich,

In the hunt for top 6:  Mismash, Guch, Adams, JJ, Hoff, Jones

In the lineup:  Simo Olson Bowen

Battling:  Gornall Yon Wilkie Smith 

Gornal and Smith must be in the line up.  They add too much grit and intensity to have them watching from the stands.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, yzerman19 said:

So guaranteed top 6:  Pogo, Gardner, Gersich,

In the hunt for top 6:  Mismash, Guch, Adams, JJ, Hoff, Jones

In the lineup:  Simo Olson Bowen

Battling:  Gornall Yon Wilkie Smith 

7 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Gornal and Smith must be in the line up.  They add too much grit and intensity to have them watching from the stands.

Let's even take Pogo out of the equation, based strictly on the tweet from the Blues writer (which who knows). We don't know what we are going to get from the freshman, but this seems to be a very solid class of forwards, all who can contribute. When you look at the battling category, that's a great group of forwards all who were either freshman or sophomores this year (same with the rest of the lineup). Next year might not have the big names in the college hockey world, but when was the last time they're going to be this solid up and down the lineup? This team is going to be very deep. 

Who is going to have a Gerisch type offensive explosion next year? 

1 hour ago, AJS said:

Let's even take Pogo out of the equation, based strictly on the tweet from the Blues writer (which who knows). We don't know what we are going to get from the freshman, but this seems to be a very solid class of forwards, all who can contribute. When you look at the battling category, that's a great group of forwards all who were either freshman or sophomores this year (same with the rest of the lineup). Next year might not have the big names in the college hockey world, but when was the last time they're going to be this solid up and down the lineup? This team is going to be very deep. 

Who is going to have a Gerisch type offensive explosion next year? 

I think this team could be a very good team next year.
As you said, no All-American candidates, but just a very deep roster of forwards, a much more experienced group of dmen, and a senior goalie.  I think they'll surprise some people.  And I don't see the d-corps having quite the rough stretch at the beginning like this year.  What a progression for C Poolman, Peski, and Johnson from season start to finish.  Very good incoming forwards should make lineup choices hard for Berry.

My votes for offensive explosion: JJ, Bowen, Gardner

Where I see this team going is where Duluth is today. 

- deep, solid group of upperclassman defenders
- a group of forwards that there really isn't a superstar but they get it done*

*Toninato and Iafallo were nice recruits but not top tier type guys. 

• Upvote 2