SiouxSports.com Forum

If Not Us, Then Who?

stoneySIOUX

This is going to be an unpopular take, but hear me out. Notre Dame winning the Frozen Four is good for college hockey.  With most if not all of their home games broadcast on NBCSN (the only major sports network that consistently shows hockey), they are easily the most visible program television-wise.  In terms of their sports brand, I would say they are in the top 5 in overall athletic departments.  Their football team gets the same types of fans as Duke basketball, i.e. they are drawn to the recognition and success.  A national championship for ND would bring attention to the sport from the schools we need to add programs, like Alabama, as well as Big Ten and Pac-12 instituitions.  

It could be argued that Denver winning could get some people in Boulder talking considering they have a rink on campus, so I won't be disappointed if they win.

Disclaimer: I live in Pac-12 country.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

This is going to be an unpopular take, but hear me out. Notre Dame winning the Frozen Four is good for college hockey.  With most if not all of their home games broadcast on NBCSN (the only major sports network that consistently shows hockey), they are easily the most visible program television-wise.  In terms of their sports brand, I would say they are in the top 5 in overall athletic departments.  Their football team gets the same types of fans as Duke basketball, i.e. they are drawn to the recognition and success.  A national championship for ND would bring attention to the sport from the schools we need to add programs, like Alabama, as well as Big Ten and Pac-12 instituitions.  

It could be argued that Denver winning could get some people in Boulder talking considering they have a rink on campus, so I won't be disappointed if they win.

Disclaimer: I live in Pac-12 country.

Progress is good, but I don't really care how many viewers follow ND and how many fans they could bring to college hockey.   Give me a Denver/Harvard final with Harvard winning in OT. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 3/20/2017 at 7:18 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

The friends I have who went to Duluth rooted for them during college but then moved back to the cities and reverted back to casual Gopher fans. I've met other UMD alum like this as well so it's not just my small sample size. 

Oh, UMD fans will pop up like ants at a picnic should they win it all this year.  

• Upvote 2

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:28 PM, hky said:

So, has UMD supplanted Minny, DU and Wisconsin as our most hated rivals?

Yep.   Zero respect for Sandelin now.

Ditto.  Was at NCHC title game and it reeeally surprised me what Sandelin no doubt said to go out and do.  Over the top.  Talented team, no need for that.  Can't wait til next season. 

1. UMD-The hate for UMD is way over the top.  I was not that long ago UND played the same way, but we called it tough guy hockey. Ref's call the game correctly it does not get out of hand like it did.

2. Denver-NCHC Love

3. Harvard-by default.  Hate everything Hockey East and Big Ten

4 Notre Dame-Hate everything Hockey East and Big Ten. Stole our interlocking ND.  Now we have some ugly Dove for a logo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, Big Green said:

1. UMD-The hate for UMD is way over the top.  I was not that long ago UND played the same way, but we called it tough guy hockey. Ref's call the game correctly it does not get out of hand like it did.

2. Denver-NCHC Love

3. Harvard-by default.  Hate everything Hockey East and Big Ten

4 Notre Dame-Hate everything Hockey East and Big Ten. Stole our interlocking ND.  Now we have some ugly Dove for a logo.

FWIW, Harvard is in the ECAC, not Hockey East.

24 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Give Me Notre Dame or Harvard.  I respect DU and if they win I would be fine with it.  I hate Duluth with a passion now I hope they lose in the most heartbreaking way possible.  

I guess if they want to be the best, they need to learn to lose in heartbreaking fashion like the best.....or like we have done in the Frozen Four!!

52 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

1. Harvard

2. Denver

3. Notre Dame

4. Meteor

5. Duluth

1. Harvard -- Think of all the funny memes we can make with them talking and stuff. Pahk the cah in Havahd yahd.

2. Would have been Notre Dame here, but I don't want DaveK to have another title to bring into the Bi6 lol, so, meteor

3. Food poisoning or listeria outbreak forcing the cancellation of the Frozen Four

4. Notre Dame -- I love them for football

5. Literally any other outcome other than Denver or UMD leaving Chicago with hardware. 

• Upvote 1

I'm bitter, I admit it.  The UND team that I saw beat Denver 12 days ago could very easily have repeated.  They were in prime playoff form.  A rematch with Denver would have been an epic game. 

Fast forward 24 hours and UMD had taken out the Sioux's top defenseman, the quarterback on UND's PP and it's top penalty killer, on a questionable hit.  For good measure, they blatantly ran UND's goalie.  Does anyone doubt Poolman would have made a difference against BU?  Put your PP QB back in, and it makes both the first and second units more effective.

So the last thing I want to see is UMD winning.  Which means of course they will.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I think it may be "tough guy hockey" if it were just the hit from Pionk on Cam. Diving, whining and hack play aren't tough guy hockey.

I just don't have the understanding of why people want to cheer for rivals within our conference. Eff DU and eff UMD.

I don't really consider UMD to be a rival.  They are more like our little brother.  We can pick on them, but no one else can.

As far as Denver.  Things have changed a little bit since their coaching change.  A lot of respect for Montgomery.  After the tweets he sent last year during the Frozen four I wouldn't mind seeing him get a ring.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Big Green said:

I don't really consider UMD to be a rival.  They are more like our little brother.  We can pick on them, but no one else can.

As far as Denver.  Things have changed a little bit since their coaching change.  A lot of respect for Montgomery.  After the tweets he sent last year during the Frozen four I wouldn't mind seeing him get a ring.

I like Monty, still hate DU. I really don't want them tying us with 8 titles.

Fair on the rivalry, I guess. We've had a lot more success. However, I feel no respect towards them, whatsoever, since the NCHC title game. Such a good show. They did it again in the regionals, too. Toininato whined after every single penalty. Great captain. Their fans are getting worse by the year, too.

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I smell a RAT.

You started your own thread, which I pasted below, with your first post, and highlighted in blue your observing and not posting anything comment.

"     Hello guys. 

Just wanted to introduce myself to the forums. Family background is thick in the Midwest. Uncle is an UMD alumni, dad went to Concordia in Moorhead, MN. Now living in Michigan. I'm a young guy, so bare with me as I will be observing the forums for a while before I really post anything. Some things about me: Can solve a Rubik's cube in 50 seconds, huge movie and music buff and played 3 years at HoneyBaked AAA in Michigan. I follow recruiting for hockey and football very closely.  Let me know any tips for fitting in and how to adjust. Thanks. "

I ask again " What are you selling Bob ".

C'mon, cut him some slack, BWSE - the kid's like 16 years old, from Michigan, and a buddy of his is one of the youngest UND recruits ever.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I like Monty, still hate DU. I really don't want them tying us with 8 titles.

Fair on the rivalry, I guess. We've had a lot more success. However, I feel no respect towards them, whatsoever, since the NCHC title game. Such a good show. They did it again in the regionals, too. Toininato whined after every single penalty. Great captain. Their fans are getting worse by the year, too.

I've never seen a team luckier to get out of a regional than UMD in Fargo. Ohio State, while completely outplaying Duluth in every sense of the word, must have had 10 chances in OT to end their season and failed miserably every time. Pulling for Harvard but the first 2 teams I pulled for(UND then Air Force) didn't work out well. Third times a charm, right?!

3 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I've never seen a team luckier to get out of a regional than UMD in Fargo. Ohio State, while completely outplaying Duluth in every sense of the word, must have had 10 chances in OT to end their season and failed miserably every time. Pulling for Harvard but the first 2 teams I pulled for(UND then Air Force) didn't work out well. Third times a charm, right?!

Don't forget that you were cheering for Notre Dame over Minnesota! :D

• Upvote 1