SiouxSports.com Forum

If Not Us, Then Who?

stoneySIOUX

Saw this in the West Regional thread and I thought it'd be a fun one to separate. So, if our boys don't hang No. 9, who of the other 15 teams in the tourney would you most/least like to see win the national championship?

Here's my order from whom I'd like to most see win:

1 -- Air Force -- USA! USA! USA! 
2 -- Union -- I'm originally from the town where they play and after they beat Minny after 0.6, I've been on board
3 -- Michigan Tech
4 -- Notre Dame -- My favorite College Football (FBS) team, so I'm always ok with them winning
5 -- Mass-Lowell
6 -- Cornell
7 -- Harvard
8 -- Providence -- May move them lower because it's annoying they are playing in Providence as a No. 4 again, when they aren't hosting
9 -- Penn State -- I'd have them near the top if I didn't want to give the Bi6 any credit :D
10 -- OSU -- See PSU
11 -- Western Michigan -- I don't do the whole "I want my conference to win it" thing. I never understood wanting your rivals to win. 
12 -- BU -- Ick
13 -- UMD -- Lost a lot of respect for this team this weekend
14 -- DU -- I hate Denver. Always have, always will
15 -- Minnesota -- Duh

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I can at least say that for the most part Denver plays the game the right way. UMD has gone off the rails and the blame has to placed on Sandelin's shoulders. Thankfully Dane let the UMD assistant know after the game because that crap can't go unchecked.

We go up 1 goal and our goalie gets run over w/ what you have to assume was intent to injure/end his game.  Also, our best dman is run from behind and taken out of the game. Liberties were also taken with Jost, Boeser, and Gersich. What a coincidence! 

We tie the game 3-3 and a sniper shows up at Target Center to take out Hunter Miska's knees and then #3(name's not important enough to look up) while him and JJ battle along the boards.  That's some Bulldog pride for you!

After UND, I always cheer for the team that has never won it, or has been on a long drought.  It would be cool to see Michigan Tech, Cornell, or Harvard claim a championship again.  I'd have a tough time cheering for any of the Big10 teams, even though 2 of them have never done anything in hockey.

7 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I can at least say that for the most part Denver plays the game the right way. UMD has gone off the rails and the blame has to placed on Sandelin's shoulders. Thankfully Dane let the UMD assistant know after the game because that crap can't go unchecked.

We go up 1 goal and our goalie gets run over w/ what you have to assume was intent to injure/end his game.  Also, our best dman is run from behind and taken out of the game. Liberties were also taken with Jost, Boeser, and Gersich. What a coincidence! 

We tie the game 3-3 and a sniper shows up at Target Center to take out Hunter Miska's knees and then #3(name's not important enough to look up) while him and JJ battle along the boards.  That's some Bulldog pride for you!

What you talking about, IHTINB? Was there an altercation?

I like the way Denver plays hockey, and I really think they can win it all this year. The reason I won't be cheering for them, however, is because I don't want to be tied with them for national championships again. So I'll be cheering for AF, Tech, Notre Dame.. the underdogs. But after last week, I'll never cheer for the Bulldogs. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNDHawks4life said:

I think it would be good for the UND v UofM rivalry if the gophers won this year. If we keep winning and they keep losing it will lose its luster after a while lol

LOL so, it this part of your schtick to be like the worst troll ever? C'mon man. Such a strange existence, the life of an internet troll. You literally live off of ANY response. Negative or positive. Alas, I've fed you. However, I am just so curious as to why you'd do this.

Queue the.... "But I'm not a troll"

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I read this on Twitter, can anyone elaborate on this? Would love to hear specifics if available.

15 minutes ago, UNDHawks4life said:

I think it would be good for the UND v UofM rivalry if the gophers won this year. If we keep winning and they keep losing it will lose its luster after a while lol

Yeah, and I hope the Bison win it all in football next year too... okay pal. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

"the UMD assistant"...meaning Jason Herter, his former teammate at UND?  

I really disliked Denver for a long time, almost enough to move them past MN.  That's how I feel about UMD at the moment.  We had so many good UMD fans around us at the Final Five, and this time, along with the antics on the ice, I had one try to tell me the guy ran the UND goalie because UND was so cheap, referencing the Travis Roy injury, among other things.  Seriously.

I actually wouldn't mind DU winning, because they're really good, because Monty has been so fair-minded, and because it's good for the league.  I wouldn't feel that way if 2016 hadn't happened, but I'm more charitable now. 

Monty tweeted this when Caggiula scored in the third period of the title game:  There it is! Boom @TheNCHC @UNDmhockey.

This may be just a passing interlude, but it feels like this could be similar to UND/Wisconsin in the early 80s, where we hated each other but there was a ton of mutual respect.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, jk said:

I really disliked Denver for a long time, almost enough to move them past MN.  That's how I feel about UMD at the moment.  We had so many good UMD fans around us at the Final Five, and this time, along with the antics on the ice, I had one try to tell me the guy ran the UND goalie because UND was so cheap, referencing the Travis Roy injury, among other things.  Seriously.

I actually wouldn't mind DU winning, because they're really good, because Monty has been so fair-minded, and because it's good for the league.  I wouldn't feel that way if 2016 hadn't happened, but I'm more charitable now. 

Monty tweeted this when Caggiula scored in the third period of the title game:  There it is! Boom @TheNCHC @UNDmhockey.

This may be just a passing interlude, but it feels like this could be similar to UND/Wisconsin in the early 80s, where we hated each other but there was a ton of mutual respect.

Monty is a legit dude. I remember when we rolled them at home and he flat out called us the best team in the country. Outside of his silly antics, Gwoz was also a class act. My hatred for DU has much more to do with actual play (tight games in huge spots) than anything goonish. It's the exact opposite for UMD. 

That being said, I really don't want either to win it all haha.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

LOL so, it this part of your schtick to be like the worst troll ever? C'mon man. Such a strange existence, the life of an internet troll. You literally live off of ANY response. Negative or positive. Alas, I've fed you. However, I am just so curious as to why you'd do this.

Queue the.... "But I'm not a troll"

What is wrong with you?

All im saying is that if every year UND wins a national championship and every year the gophers dont make it to the tournament or lose in the first round, its bad for the rivalry. 

Example: UND vs NDSU football is irrelevant now days because NDSU is so much better. It might matter to a bunch of 60 year olds but do you think the students care at all??? NO. 

All im saying is that i love the rivalry and having it be competitive is a good thing. The real "troll" here is you because every time someone has a differing opinon you have to shut them down and demean them. Grow up. 

• Downvote 13

14 minutes ago, UNDHawks4life said:

Grow up. 

1) The rivalry will never go away. UND and NDSU didn't play for several years and was intense when it came back

2) I demeaned you? By calling out your troll comment and all your troll comments? I'm trying to help you! I want to figure out why you do what you do on here. I'm like Dr. Phil or Maury. Help me, help you!

3) D@mn it, you win again. I've responded.

4) Grow up? Says the troll lol... 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

1) The rivalry will never go away. UND and NDSU didn't play for several years and was intense when it came back

2) I demeaned you? By calling out your troll comment and all your troll comments? I'm trying to help you! I want to figure out why you do what you do on here.

3) D@mn it, you win again. I've responded.

4) Grow up? Says the troll lol... 

UND v NDSU football was one if the biggest rivalries in college sports. Saying it was intense when they played last time is ridiculous because it was a forgone conclusion that NDSU would win, and they did, 34-9.  I dont see how that is something a "troll" would say. Im a vikings fan and i hope the packers are always good because it feels better when we beat them when they are good. If UND dominates the rivalry it is no longer a rivalry.

• Downvote 3

1 minute ago, UNDHawks4life said:

UND v NDSU football was one if the biggest rivalries in college sports. Saying it was intense when they played last time is ridiculous because it was a forgone conclusion that NDSU would win, and they did, 34-9.  I dont see how that is something a "troll" would say. Im a vikings fan and i hope the packers are always good because it feels better when we beat them when they are good. If UND dominates the rivalry it is no longer a rivalry.

No, I get what you're saying... *sigh* you've got me reeled in.

Have a good day, buddy.