SiouxSports.com Forum

WEST Regional (fargo) - UMD/OSU ~~ BU/UND

AZSIOUX

6 hours ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

The only problem I have with Holden is the  "...AND (Insert school) DRAWS FIRST BLOOD!" thing every time a team scores the first goal. EVERY. GAME. EVER.  But Buccigross annoys me a trillion times more than Holden. Buccigross is kinda the worst, and his NHL color commentator can't pronounce names to save his life, and has no clue about college hockey prior to the NCAA tournament. So....all things considered I'd take Holden/Starman

It's called a tag. That's his thing. I love that stuff. He's gotta keep doing it!

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Ok, so we get by BU on Friday and end up playing the UMD diving team on Saturday...Sioux are up 4-1 with one minute to go and we are coming down on a 2-1 with Cole Smith and Trevor Olson...Do we A) Try to score, B) Play the puck into the corner and hold it against the boards to burn up the clock, or C) Have both players launch themselves like a missile into the Duluth goalie at the same time in order to take him out of the game.  I vote for option C, what do you guys think? :)

E) Pot another goal, stand in front of Miska, pull a 9 Iron out of the bag (aka, use his stick), line up a shot and wish them a happy Summer on the links :)

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, Blackheart said:

Ok, so we get by BU on Friday and end up playing the UMD diving team on Saturday...Sioux are up 4-1 with one minute to go and we are coming down on a 2-1 with Cole Smith and Trevor Olson...Do we A) Try to score, B) Play the puck into the corner and hold it against the boards to burn up the clock, or C) Have both players launch themselves like a missile into the Duluth goalie at the same time in order to take him out of the game.  I vote for option C, what do you guys think? :)

A. 

And then you line up and try to make it 6-1 before the horn. 

In your scenario you need those two players for the next game more than anything else. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't really understand the no alcohol at the NCAA event thing. Unless we're feeding the beer to underage kids, why does it matter who is actually playing. If you are at an entertainment event, and you are of age, what is the problem?

This is the NCAA. Perception trumps reality. In Cincy last year all the beer ads had black tarps over them.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, cberkas said:

No point talking about playing Duluth when UND has to play BU first.

Yup.
Exactly.
No flashbacks to Frozen Four of 1997*.

*Michigan was so sure they'd be in the final they overlooked BU. Whups. 

10 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Starman is good but he showers EVERYONE with praise. Talking about how important Simonson is to the team on Saturday got an eye roll from me.  

A few years ago when he announced the game where O'Donnell had a hat trick against Duluth he was talking about how OD had such an outstanding career...he was scratched half the time with injuries or just not making the lineup.

That said, he is knowledgeable about the game and the current college players.  Takes the time to pronounce names the right way.  Also, he's not overly enthusiastic like a certain ESPN guy.  

My critique is something a big fan would notice, but it likely makes it more enjoyable for the casual fan.  If that's the worst aspect of his pxp, he's doing well. 

Yeah I mean I notice some of that stuff too where the characterization of a certain player is a bit inflated. But like you said, it's more enjoyable and easier to get into the game for the casual fan which I'm all for. And it helps that he's a pro scout too, so you know he knows what he's talking about and not just blowing smoke.

IMO I love Holden's goal calls, just the perfect amount of enthusiasm while not sounding like a freaking fanboy(Hi Bucci). 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Anyone else feel the week of the NCAA tourney should just be a holiday week, and none of us should have to work? So anxious for Friday!

10-4 to that! Not my most productive week. Honestly my favorite weekend of hockey! So many games and all spread out starting at 2!

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Yeah I mean I notice some of that stuff too where the characterization of a certain player is a bit inflated. But like you said, it's more enjoyable and easier to get into the game for the casual fan which I'm all for. And it helps that he's a pro scout too, so you know he knows what he's talking about and not just blowing smoke.

IMO I love Holden's goal calls, just the perfect amount of enthusiasm while not sounding like a freaking fanboy(Hi Bucci). 

The scout job helps for sure, he doesn't lean on citing what round each player was drafted as the only gauge of a player's ability level.

1 minute ago, ericpnelson said:

is the NCAA streaming this game? I haven't decided if I'm gonna be bold enough to just bounce from work without telling anyone at 2 PM, so I might just pretend to do stuff for the first period while watching the stream.

Depends if you can stream ESPN2;)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

is the NCAA streaming this game? I haven't decided if I'm gonna be bold enough to just bounce from work without telling anyone at 2 PM, so I might just pretend to do stuff for the first period while watching the stream.

I think it's just on ESPN2 and watchESPN online.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, ericpnelson said:

Just bounce, nothing in Grand Forks should be open after 2pm on Friday.  My workplace is literally looking into upgrading our cable package so they can watch the game. I'll be in Fargo :D