SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD - NCHC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

27 minutes ago, UNDColorado said:

It looked like the primary contact was shoulder to chest and then a bit of secondary contact to the head. Regardless it was a dirty play but I honestly think the 5 minute major was appropriate. 

only if a game misco had gone with it,  imo

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, tnt said:

... and the funny thing is that Schlossman, who rips the NHL for player safety every chance he gets, doesn't seem to do the same for the league he reports on.  

Maybe he doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

28 minutes ago, Blackheart said:

Maybe he doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds him...

What, do you think people would refuse to talk to him if he talked about player safety in NCAA hockey? Biting the hand of the media always backfires.

Remember.......

"Never insult someone who buys ink by the barrel".

• Upvote 1

So, maybe the standard that the league will use is suspension is dependent upon whether the player is injured.  If they don't deem this suspension worthy, that's fine, but don't think that in the future when charging the goalie happens more frequently that people don't look back on this incident and ask the question what is different.

7 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

The Miska penalty was worse.

For sure, just showing that this isn't some new trend by Duluth players. I find it amusing how Bulldog fans whine about UND players being "thugs" yet are in complete denial that their team are floppers. When even Minnesota fans see the same thing, you know there's something to it. 

1 minute ago, SiouxFanatic said:

For sure, just showing that this isn't some new trend by Duluth players. I find it amusing how Bulldog fans whine about UND players being "thugs" yet are in complete denial that their team are floppers. When even Minnesota fans see the same thing, you know there's something to it. 

Yup. I've been getting a lot of that. We've been a rough and tumble team forever, but we've never, ever been floppers.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Yup. I've been getting a lot of that. We've been a rough and tumble team forever, but we've never, ever been floppers.

We've had a diver or two (sorry Rocco). 

There's one thing that UND has never ever been. 

What we've always been is the guys who get to the bench no matter what. Look at Poolman Saturday. He was in agony but got to the bench. Even when we had a guy with a broken leg due to a slew foot he tried to get up and to the bench. Shoulder out? Skate to the bench. Can't feel a foot or ankle? Crawl to the bench. 

If a UND guy is down and stays down, they are seriously hurt, or unconscious.

There's none of the "Hollywood writhing" you see far too often, which is "shockingly" followed by a "miraculous" recovery. 

UND Men's Hockey: No Drama Queens. 

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

What we've always been is the guys who get to the bench no matter what. Look at Poolman Saturday. He was in agony but got to the bench. Even when we had a guy with a broken leg due to a slew foot he tried to get up and to the bench. Shoulder out? Skate to the bench. Can't feel a foot or ankle? Crawl to the bench. 

There's none of the "Hollywood writhing" you see far too often, which is "shockingly" followed by a "miraculous" recovery. 

A diver or two over the years, sure, but we've never been that as a program. I can say that unequivocally and will argue that until I am blue in the face.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Not saying only the Bulldogs, but does the Duluth area have a few professional wrestlers that Sandy has come in from time to time and help with the technique? This flipping and flopping is a scar on college hockey. Some how this is going to have to be addressed? Then, when you mix in the way the game was reffed this last Saturday, it becomes a complete spectical.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, franchise said:

I thought it was bad at first, and worse on the replay.  It looks like he really tried to finish off the hit and didn't just barrel into him.

Agree he really drove into Cam.  that was the worst part of it.

3 hours ago, sprig said:

only if a game misco had gone with it,  imo

I would have agreed with a GM call on that play, for sure.  I think they called charging, and I think guys have gotten GM's for charging.  This could have fit that definition for sure.

Unfortunately. The extra game misco seems to be added only when the player is injured,  or feigns injury.  Duluth players would have milked that to the limit,  Cam did not,  although the look on his face showed pain,  and he appeared wobbled for some time into the 2nd period. 

Hopefully this weekend's crew will be made aware of the mdu crap, and won't allow it, no matter who they play

5 minutes ago, Biddco said:

Nah, we dive a lot and it's been a trend ever since Farley and Johnson were on the team. It's annoying as a UMD fan but it does make it fun to watch people wine about it. That Johnson dive was so amazingly bad. I wish they'd stop soon so we don't get fans hating on us for that reason but it keep happening *shrugs*

As a fan, not much you can do about the way your team plays. I am a little disappointed in your coaching staff though, especially considering where they came from.

1 minute ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

As a fan, not much you can do about the way your team plays. I am a little disappointed in your coaching staff though, especially considering where they came from.

Wait isn't that where they learned it from? 

On 3/20/2017 at 7:27 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Good Monday Morning, another exciting week ahead!

The Miska/Poganski Penalty, 

Pionck got 5 for steamrolling Cam, but he was allowed to finish the game 

Osterberg and Tonninato diving and flopping.

Towards end of game, last 2 penalties on us were weak, a small grab and a dive behind goal.

Holding Shaw's stick on the game winner, the puck goes off our skate.

And, all the penalties that supposedly Eastern refs would call.

Many frustrating moments in that game. It's over and we lost 4-3 on a heart breaker!!!!!!    Been there many times.

BBBBUUUTTT, we won Friday, we're playing our best hockey of the year and just played the two highest ranked teams in the country!!!!!

We are going to be on home base in Fargo, let's heal up as much as we can and win 2.  

That would leave us with 2 to go!

Imagine a month ago, being able to read this post today!

Hooked on Phonics worked for me!

6 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

Ladies and gents, your Duluth flopping Bulldogs!

Bulldog%20Dive%20----%20European%20socce

Oh boy, Osterberg gets hit in the upper shoulder, causing his head to magically snap back and he reaches for his throat as if he was cross checked in the neck.  There is a word for this.  Pussy!!

• Upvote 2

Actually, the rule as written is the problem

Rule 68 - Diving/Embellishment

68.1 Diving/Embellishment - A player shall not attempt to draw a penalty through any exaggerated or deceitful action. A diving penalty is a standalone penalty.
PENALTY—Minor for diving.

A player who has been fouled shall not exaggerate the impact of the foul. An embellishment penalty is called in conjunction with an opponent’s penalty.
PENALTY—Minor for embellishment. 

I suspect the officials don't understand the rules. 

You can call "diving" without calling anything else --> "A diving penalty is a standalone penalty."

Embellishment is when a penalty has happened but so has exaggeration --> "called in conjunction". 

Diving and Embellishment are two different things. 

They should separate them in the rule book. 

• Upvote 1