SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ UMD - NCHC CHAMPIONSHIP GAMEDAY

AZSIOUX

1 hour ago, burd said:

No chance.  They knew who Anderson was, and Sandy is no dummy.  They have the skill and experience to play the right way when they want/have to.

Much like the older Shephard crew last year would not call interference, so they interfered their way to a win.  Only 1 of 20+ obvious int and holdings called in that game vs MDU. Last night was much worse with the outright thuggery that came when they were outplayed, until they got the lead, then settled back into int and holding. Ugliest attempt to injure cheapshots I have ever seen. Have to go back to the NHL McSorley incident  to find anything comparable.

21 minutes ago, sprig said:

Much like the older Shephard crew last year would not call interference, so they interfered their way to a win.  Only 1 of 20+ obvious int and holdings called in that game vs MDU. Last night was much worse with the outright thuggery that came when they were outplayed, until they got the lead, then settled back into int and holding. Ugliest attempt to injure cheapshots I have ever seen. Have to go back to the NHL McSorley incident  to find anything comparable.

The dives and flopping got to me.  Osterberg and Tonninato were particularly bad.  Those are both skilled players...to resort to having to flop around to get penalties like that is pretty pathetic.

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

The dives and flopping got to me.  Osterberg and Tonninato were particularly bad.  Those are both skilled players...to resort to having to flop around to get penalties like that is pretty pathetic.

Cheap shots followed by flopping, can't get worse than that. Cannot stomach Sandy's game. 

So I watch a lot of WHL...you would NEVER witness what we witnessed last night in a "dub" playoff game.  Why not? you ask...same high level of hockey, many guys the same age, big stakes...simplest answer is 5 for Fighting...and guys with poor reps have to fight night in and night out.  Hard to advocate for fighting when people can really get permanently damaged, but it seems to work for the game in the dub...

You could really shake it up and add a "gratuitousness factor" that granted both a pp and a penalty shot if things were out of control.

4 hours ago, sprig said:

Ugliest attempt to injure cheapshots I have ever seen. Have to go back to the NHL McSorley incident  to find anything comparable.

I wouldn't go NEARLY as far as comparing this to the McSorley incident.  A nasty, dirty, cheap play, sure.  But he didn't skate behind Johnson and swing his stick at him like it was a Louisville Slugger!

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I wouldn't go NEARLY as far as comparing this to the McSorley incident.  A nasty, dirty, cheap play, sure.  But he didn't skate behind Johnson and swing his stick at him like it was a Louisville Slugger!

Agree it was vastly different.  UMD was trying to intimidate not injure.  They went over the edge, but did not commit crimes.

basically, I think the approach was "we can't skate with them, so let's beat them up"

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:10 PM, Vegas_Sioux said:

Wow, was in the 3rd deck at the game and saw the play live and knew it was not good but man, was that bush league.  Duluth was on good patrol all night though so no surprise I guess.  They should of pounded the hell out of the cheap dog.

27 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

My glasses are tinted green, but I really don't see the outrage for the Poolman hit.  There are 50 hits a game worse than that one.  If he wasn't hurt nobody would have said a word about that hit.  Nobody on the ice, including the UND players, reacted at all like there was a cheap shot.  Berry and staff weren't saying anything or looking concerned until Tucker got to the bench and Piunk ran Cam.

The Johnson hit was an entirely different story.

Refs were absolutely brutal both ways.

The Poolman pairing was playing great.  Losing or having a diminished Tucker will be a significant blow.

I 100% agree and was just going to type the same thing. The Poolman hit should be a 2 min for the arm wrapped around the body but I don't see the malicious intent others see. I have seen far worse this year get 2 or less. The run of Cam is a different story however. Not only did he not let up he finished the check on a goalie that was not able to protect himself. No doubt he should have been kicked out. 

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:51 PM, MafiaMan said:

Well, any talk of Sandelin ever coming back to coach North Dakota should Brad Berry move on to the NHL/retire/ever get fired should be pretty much quashed for good after tonight's game.

Yah, no !@#$.

7 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Can the league impose suspensions to players for postseason NCAA tournament?

They won't if they can.  At least when Paukovich broke Bina's neck Gwoz gave him an institutional game penalty.  Sandeline gave Pionk a pat on the back. 

True. But he did throw him back out there on a 5 on 4 power play to try and bait UND into going after him and giving them a 5 on 3.

23 hours ago, gsiouxo said:

These refs have made this game an absolute joke. Guy dives that leads to a 5-3 goal... fing joke

Absolute terrible call to put the Sioux down 2 men with like a minute left on a small grab and a dog dive behind his own goal.  Absolute joke.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, petey23 said:

True. But he did throw him back out there on a 5 on 4 power play to try and bait UND into going after him and giving them a 5 on 3.

He's also plays the point on the first line power play.  Be kinda odd not to have him out there.  If the roles were reversed with Boeser he'd still be the quarterback on the PP.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

One bulldog fan said that it was only fair they get got the game winning goal on a 5-3 because we got all of them. I said we also don't play dirty have fun with the east cost refs next weekend.

Tomanoto should have been given 2 for yelling at the refs. The linesman had to hold him back he was so bad. They didnt call it and now the rest is history.

I saw that plain and clear too, should of gotten two for it

4 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Absolute terrible call to put the Sioux down 2 men with like a minute left on a small grab and a dog dive behind his own goal.  Absolute joke.

I agree, but that call was for the same thing they called when Jost was held a minute earlier.  Both should have been no calls in the situation.

3 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

He's also plays the point on the first line power play.  Be kinda odd not to have him out there.  If the roles were reversed with Boeser he'd still be the quarterback on the PP.

That is one take I guess. If I had a player make a dirty hit like that after the whistle like Paukovich did I am sending him to the showers.

Und dominated the game from the drop of the puck. Obviously umd was gonna goon it up being outplayed the way they were. Giving pionk a 5 but not the gate was saying "hey you cant do that, but running into the goalie with intent when he's in his crease and defenseless is not as bad as a checking from behind so we will let u stay in the game." The refs could have sent a message by ejecting pionk but they didn't and the game got out of control after that. 

12 minutes ago, nodakgirl93 said:

Und dominated the game from the drop of the puck. Obviously umd was gonna goon it up being outplayed the way they were. Giving pionk a 5 but not the gate was saying "hey you cant do that, but running into the goalie with intent when he's in his crease and defenseless is not as bad as a checking from behind so we will let u stay in the game." The refs could have sent a message by ejecting pionk but they didn't and the game got out of control after that. 

That is exactly what I thought.  To top that, to have their Captain yelling at the ref the way he was for every penalty that was called while he was on the ice.  I thought SCSU d man got an extra game suspended because of his verbal abuse of a ref.  Where is that call?

The refs were awful on both sides but the difference in the game was that in the first period were should have scored at least 2 goals and maybe 3.  We had a 5x3 for 1:43 in the first period.  Also UMD scored 2 on 5x5 play that was a big difference too.  Playing come from behind hockey is not our thing.