SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

Taking the high road and not ripping Drick right now. The timing of this stinks but not nearly as big a loss as some think.

He had by far and away his best game in the NCAA Tourney L. He's replaceable and beyond that, where the heck is he gonna go? 

It's an absolutely selfish move. Yet another strike against the "grad transfer" rule that's turned lower level DIs into a minor league of sorts.

On 5/30/2017 at 2:59 PM, jdub27 said:

Jones and his team spend quite a bit of time in the community. The MBB team just won the athletic department's Male Team Community Service Award with almost 400 hours of community service between the 15 players. Just because you might not see them out there doesn't mean they aren't there. Could they be more visible? Possibly but not really their motive. Jones and Bubba have different personalities, it is what it is, but I know there is a ton of mutual respect between the two.

Good points but facts don't change personal agendas. I cannot believe the negative thoughts and possibilities  that are knee jerk posted in reaction to one player' decision. It has no impact on other players or a contract that we know is ready. A graduate transfer is very common in the end it's about the education.

Next man up!

22 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

Good points but facts don't change personal agendas. I cannot believe the negative thoughts and possibilities  that are knee jerk posted in reaction to one player' decision. It has no impact on other players or a contract that we know is ready. A graduate transfer is very common in the end it's about the education.

Next man up!

The problem is that we don't have many "next men" with much size, experience, etc.  A huge loss! 

• Upvote 3

I have no problem with grad transfer rule in theory...granted a lot of kids use it for basketball not for actually completing grad school...  Bernstine really stuck it to the team, the staff, and the fans by waiting this long to announce...pretty much no chance on getting a kid anywhere near is ability now.   Geno will likely leave next year ...on track to graduate and will be a hot commodity at the high major level.... Really kills teams chance to compete for NCAA birth next season.   

9 hours ago, UND-1 said:

3 schools in 5 years, just like Shanks.  I don't get it but whatever.  

The transfer-happy culture of today's college basketball; I don't like it but NDSU has also dealt with some transfer issues, although not necessarily the same as this or Shanks.

All in all, UND has to retain players like Shanks and Bernstine. This is likely a knock against the program and/or Brian Jones. You would think established mid-to-low major programs wouldn't have this issue, but as I said earlier, individual and collective trends these days in college sports (specifically DI NCAA basketball) sort of support this. Hurts either way you look at it if you're a UND supporter.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND GUY said:

Taking the high road and not ripping Drick right now. The timing of this stinks but not nearly as big a loss as some think.

He had by far and away his best game in the NCAA Tourney L. He's replaceable and beyond that, where the heck is he gonna go? 

It's an absolutely selfish move. Yet another strike against the "grad transfer" rule that's turned lower level DIs into a minor league of sorts.

This is another example of small DI schools, like UND, being hurt by the graduate transfer rule. Another reason to strongly dislike that rule if you're a UND supporter. 

Too early to say his departure won't hurt - he was a talented big man for UND's level of play. The contemporary situation (with Hooker done, Jones' contract in limbo and now this) makes me think 2017-18 UND Men's Basketball could be a disappointment of sorts. 

I don't have any insider information, but I immediately want to look at the Brian Jones situation as a major factor in this. The NCAA tournament appearance certainly helped Jones' reputation but not to the point of complete immunity. I am sort of on the fence now with the future prospects of him as UND's head coach for years to come.

Faison, don't overextend Jones and let's see how 2017-18 turns out. I fear disappointment.

I don't think this really has anything to do with the coaching situation. There was speculation about Drick leaving as soon as the season was over.

I guess I just don't undertstand why a kid transfers that many times throughout college. I understand it happening once, maybe he didn't like the school he started at, or wanted to see some playing time; but 3 schools in 5 years seems a bit ridiculous.

Now I don't want to totally judge the kid because I don't know his situation. Did he get his undergrad? If so, is he going somewhere else to pursue a Master's? If that is the case it is much more understandable. Education should come before athletics, especially at a mid-major school where we are turning out NBA players. If he is doing this purely because he doesn't see UND being as competitive next season, and want to be somewhere else, then it is pretty pathetic.

Next man up I guess. Drick is a good player, but we still have some solid talent on this team. Hope the younger kids can step up to add some depth.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

I don't think this really has anything to do with the coaching situation. There was speculation about Drick leaving as soon as the season was over.

I guess I just don't undertstand why a kid transfers that many times throughout college. I understand it happening once, maybe he didn't like the school he started at, or wanted to see some playing time; but 3 schools in 5 years seems a bit ridiculous.

Now I don't want to totally judge the kid because I don't know his situation. Did he get his undergrad? If so, is he going somewhere else to pursue a Master's? If that is the case it is much more understandable. Education should come before athletics, especially at a mid-major school where we are turning out NBA players. If he is doing this purely because he doesn't see UND being as competitive next season, and want to be somewhere else, then it is pretty pathetic.

Next man up I guess. Drick is a good player, but we still have some solid talent on this team. Hope the younger kids can step up to add some depth.

Yes he got his undergrad and walked in the spring ceremony. 

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Yes, he is a UND graduate. Walked the stage and got his diploma last month.  

Thanks for the memories, Drick, and best of luck to you wherever you go. It was a fun while it lasted, especially last  year, though you did drive me nuts from the FT line sometimes.  ( : 

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Looking on UND's website, it lists his major as 'General Studies'.  So I am not sure what area of study he is looking to get a graduate degree in.  For me it looks like the main reason he is trasnfering is he is using the grad transfer rule to play basketball somewhere else.  His choice.  Maybe he wants to play closer to home.  Whatever the reason is, he has to deal with it.  Whether good or bad for him.

I am very nervous about the domino affect. Since not publicly announcing Jones' contract extension is already responsible for two graduating student athletes on the team transferring to other schools to continue their graduate studies. Could this also lead to a mass exodus of all of our other quality players to other schools? 

can't say I blame either guy. Shanks isn't good enough to play on an ncaa tournament team and Bernstine is probably good enough to go up a tier. Plus I'm not going to kill a kid for taking advantage of the grad transfer rule. Sucks as a fan of UND I guess but good for the kids for having the rule.

3 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Given the very odd situation with UND, Brian Jones, and his contract (or lack thereof), I personally can't rule that out as a factor in this.

Recent history suggests coaching continuity definitely helps prevent such transfers; that much has been established in both DI NCAA basketball and football.