SiouxSports.com Forum

2017-18 Season

SWSiouxMN

3 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

For those that are asking for games against big time opponents, what is in it them? They have a lot of mid and low level Division I schools that are much closer. Those schools are probably better known by the local fans. They all want to play the big name schools. And it probably doesn't cost much for them to travel because they are close. Plus playing UND hurts the RPI. Those are a couple of the reasons it is hard to find higher level opponents that will play UND.

Didn't say it would be easy just that I'd like to see it.  Although we are now a tourney team and as for recognition we are at least a flagship and not a directional or oddball private. 

9 hours ago, Teeder11 said:

Do we still have an open scholly to give after the mid-year departure of Rolls-Tyson?  Would be nice to pull a Jim Hayford move and find a JUCO or grad transfer big who can shoot and defend to fill that spot for next year. (IF IT'S AVAILABLE)  Our resume as an NCAA tourney team might help entice someone like that. 

I do not know our exact scholarship situation but I do know we continue to actively recruit for next season.  I agree, finding a 4 or 5 contributor would be great!

4 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Just reviewing the November Big Sky schedule showed these games before Thanksgiving:

Mont St @ Wash St

Portland St @ Ariz St

Sacramento St @ Colorado

Sacramento St @ Nebraska

Montana @ Southern  California

Weber St @ Stanford

North Carolina St @ Montana St

Washington St @ Montana

Northern Arizona @ Washington

Northern Colorado @ Arizona

Montana @ Mississippi

Not one of these were in the local area except Wash St, not one was played for RPI reasons, and most had large travel expenses.  The budget at UND appears to be the reason that we can't get similar games.

Montana and Montana State both have a lot more name recognition in Division I, which covers half of your examples. Montana, especially, has had some years with good success in basketball for a low level DI. There may be connections between staff that help. There could be multiple other reasons that games happen. I didn't say it was impossible. The truth is that a school like UND, located a long distance from almost all high Division I schools and playing in a low level league, is going to have a very hard time getting games against P5 schools. The P5 schools have very little incentive to play UND when they have 300+ other choices and most of them make more sense. But the budget has absolutely nothing to do with it. The school would welcome a chance to play at a P5 school for the exposure and the money. But it is highly unlikely you will see a P5 school play at UND unless it is another Kansas type situation.

21 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Montana and Montana State both have a lot more name recognition in Division I, which covers half of your examples. Montana, especially, has had some years with good success in basketball for a low level DI. There may be connections between staff that help. There could be multiple other reasons that games happen. I didn't say it was impossible. The truth is that a school like UND, located a long distance from almost all high Division I schools and playing in a low level league, is going to have a very hard time getting games against P5 schools. The P5 schools have very little incentive to play UND when they have 300+ other choices and most of them make more sense. But the budget has absolutely nothing to do with it. The school would welcome a chance to play at a P5 school for the exposure and the money. But it is highly unlikely you will see a P5 school play at UND unless it is another Kansas type situation.

Montana St has intentionally raised their bball profile lately.  They were bottom feeders and now they get a home game vs NCSU?  That doesn't happen without major admin backing.  N Colo got Arizona and UNC was going on probation.

Admittedly, we got Iowa, and Wisconsin before that, but the Gophers and Iowa St should be in reach now.  A Gophers game would be very meaningful for recruiting.

8 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Montana St has intentionally raised their bball profile lately.  They were bottom feeders and now they get a home game vs NCSU?  That doesn't happen without major admin backing.  N Colo got Arizona and UNC was going on probation.

Admittedly, we got Iowa, and Wisconsin before that, but the Gophers and Iowa St should be in reach now.  A Gophers game would be very meaningful for recruiting.

And remember how it was also the nickname that was preventing us from getting these games. Sorry to open that wound but it was definitely used as a reason

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

So as stated in the 16-17 thread, Shanks is transferring out.  I wish him nothing but the best and thank him for his contribution to UND and helping bring UND to a championship and NCAA appearance.

What does that mean for next year?  This is a minor blow that could be a bigger blow is Drick does the same thing.  It does thin out the frontcourt a little bit now with Drick and Avants the only two with significant minutes.  Walter is going to have to make a huge jump from year 1 to 2. 

Be interesting to see how Jones and company replace the scholarship.  Does he play this with next year in mind or does he play this with the Summit in mind?  I'd say try to find a HS recruit or a freshman transfer and go from there.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

So as stated in the 16-17 thread, Shanks is transferring out.  I wish him nothing but the best and thank him for his contribution to UND and helping bring UND to a championship and NCAA appearance.

What does that mean for next year?  This is a minor blow that could be a bigger blow is Drick does the same thing.  It does thin out the frontcourt a little bit now with Drick and Avants the only two with significant minutes.  Walter is going to have to make a huge jump from year 1 to 2. 

Be interesting to see how Jones and company replace the scholarship.  Does he play this with next year in mind or does he play this with the Summit in mind?  I'd say try to find a HS recruit or a freshman transfer and go from there.

every day i wait for the Drick shoe to drop. He's good enough to go play at a higher level of conference if he wants to. although there will be a lot of shots to go around with no more hooker and geno can't take them all

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

getting a shank replacement will be tough without haveing a coaching staff lined up for next season

I think the season being over and any formidable low major big man is already signed or going to wait for options after next year.  Anything that comes in will likely be a project.  

46 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A graduate degree from Utah St is worth more than a UND one?

We got played as a development school.

Shanks not the sharpest pencil....Tried to walk on/transfer at the U of Mn.but grades were a no go....Not a good bet to be picky on a grad school ...plus I think the Morman culture appeals to him and they look in need of a Big

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

55 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

A graduate degree from Utah St is worth more than a UND one?

We got played as a development school.

How kids or schools use the graduate transfer rule as it was intended.  

Every grad transfer is leaving a developmental school

41 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Shanks not the sharpest pencil....Tried to walk on/transfer at the U of Mn.but grades were a no go....Not a good bet to be picky on a grad school ...plus I think the Morman culture appeals to him and they look in need of a Big

Good lord. Grades were not the issue at U of M. Pitino didn't know about October deadline for transfer students. School wouldn't bend rules. Rule wouldn't apply to a kid who was going to be on scholarship. 

2). Why would the Mormon culture appeal to Shanks?

2). In your opinion, just what is the Mormon culture you refer to?

• Upvote 4

11 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Good lord. Grades were not the issue at U of M. Pitino didn't know about October deadline for transfer students. School wouldn't bend rules. Rule wouldn't apply to a kid who was going to be on scholarship. 

2). Why would the Mormon culture appeal to Shanks?

2). In your opinion, just what is the Mormon culture you refer to?

Maybe he is Morman did that cross your brain?  Academics were an issue at the U....if Pitino had offered him a free ride he would have been in.  U of M much higher academic requirements and lots of students do not get accepted....Live and Learn!...have a nice day!  

47 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Maybe he is Morman did that cross your brain?  Academics were an issue at the U....if Pitino had offered him a free ride he would have been in.  U of M much higher academic requirements and lots of students do not get accepted....Live and Learn!...have a nice day!  

I'll trust Mr Vandalay when it comes to Shanks.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

You lay sh&t down like you are "in the know". There is not one thing stated that is even close to a fact. Why would you do that?  Your follow-up just exposes you as a fraud. If you are going to make weird stuff up - be good at it. "I think the Mormon culture appeals to him"?  This is just bizarre unless you know he is a Mormon kid.

if you are going to be full of sh*t be good at it.  You need to work harder at it. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

You lay sh&t down like you are "in the know". There is not one thing stated that is even close to a fact. Why would you do that?  Your follow-up just exposes you as a fraud. If you are going to make weird stuff up - be good at it. "I think the Mormon culture appeals to him"?  This is just bizarre unless you know he is a Mormon kid.

if you are going to be full of sh*t be good at it.  You need to work harder at it. 

Typical loser no nothing response....    My bet is he is Mormon...  you have probably not spent any time in UTAH or are lacking perception skills... Moronic of you to speak to what Pitino had Knowledge of for transfer purposes....His staff is very well educated on admittance and transfers.... OCT. 1 is  NOT the final transfer deadline for most Uof M programs and any one involved with recruiting or in the process of applying for a transfer would be cognizant of that and would not have submitted a transfer request as Shanks did...  Now crawl back in your hole for a couple months ...and learn to think a little before posting

• Downvote 3