SiouxSports.com Forum

#15 UND (22-9) vs #2 Arizona (30-4) 3/16 8:50 NCAA 1st Round

SWSiouxMN

18 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

Great fight by the team tonight. Congrats to the team and coaches. Best season of UND basketball ever imo. Great careers by Hooker and Baldwin. Great coaching this year as well.

I hope this serves as a lesson to alums administration and everyone that MENS BASKETBALL IS UND's BIGGEST OPPORTUNITY FOR EXPOSURE. So much attention on this tourney. No reason UND shouldn't invest more in basketball and strive to be  a mid major program that makes the tourney 3-5 times every 10 years. Maybe some years get a 12-13 seed a win a few games. Alls it takes for mid majors to take off is go on a run one year and ride that momentum. Gonzaga, VCU, UNI, Butler, Florida Gulf, St Mary's are all examples.

Make the commitment to basketball. Huge ROI potential. 

Couldn't agree more.

Great effort tonight. Pretty clear that we need more length and better athletes. We only had 3-4 guys who belonged out there athletically. Still pretty remarkable that we had the lead cut to 7 before that buffoon called that blocking foul. I hope this is a spring board to tap in to some of the potential that this program has. The sophomores better be ready and angry for next year.

17-18 Hawks

Need

Crandall - to take the next step. I think he has a shot to get drafted if he keeps improving at the rate he has. Needs to keep maturing and working hard. He was not out of place athletically tonight, he's unreal fast, 6'3, a good shooter, passer, and ball handler. Needs to take the next step if he wants to have that shot and put the team on his back. Could be the best player in the BSC and still just a JR.

Drick- if he plays like he did tonight that would be perfect. 10-10 guy.

Seales - take the next step as well. We need him to be a double digit scorer next year.

Avants-struggles against bigger guys like tonight but can be an above average borderline all conference post against 90% of the teams we play. Knows his role and works hard. 

Shanks- hoping he takes a big step. Big guys take time and it's his last year. Could be a big X factor if he takes his game to another level.

X Factor - Marlon Stewart. Highest recruited player on the team. I'm not expecting him to replace Hooker but if he can give us 8-14 a night the would be huge.

If that happens and young guys step up we could be dancing again.

5 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

17-18 Hawks

Need

Crandall - to take the next step. I think he has a shot to get drafted if he keeps improving at the rate he has. Needs to keep maturing and working hard. He was not out of place athletically tonight, he's unreal fast, 6'3, a good shooter, passer, and ball handler. Needs to take the next step if he wants to have that shot and put the team on his back. Could be the best player in the BSC and still just a JR.

Drick- if he plays like he did tonight that would be perfect. 10-10 guy.

Seales - take the next step as well. We need him to be a double digit scorer next year.

Avants-struggles against bigger guys like tonight but can be an above average borderline all conference post against 90% of the teams we play. Knows his role and works hard. 

Shanks- hoping he takes a big step. Big guys take time and it's his last year. Could be a big X factor if he takes his game to another level.

X Factor - Marlon Stewart. Highest recruited player on the team. I'm not expecting him to replace Hooker but if he can give us 8-14 a night the would be huge.

If that happens and young guys step up we could be dancing again.

going to be a tougher road next year but if they are clicking by Reno, they have a good shot.  They won't fall as far as they did in 2014-15.

They need to develop a bench and these current and incoming freshman need to step in and step up.

Now... lets hope nobody leaves

1 hour ago, WildcatGuest said:

I would say I was stunned at how the Fighting Hawks didn't give up, but I knew from my readings ya'll wouldn't.  The guards were as great as advertised and the frontline didn't back down.  

Hooker in particular, is legit and Berstine surprised me significantly.  It was an incredibly class move to put your bench in at the end of the game.  

The future is looking very bright for this program, very fundamentally sound and with the tourney exposure, I think there will be an increase in the level of recruits for UND!   

We appreciate your comments!  You have a heck of a team - good luck!

• Upvote 1

Am really proud of this team.  Hooker and Baldwin will be Missed!  Crandall's and Seale's continued growth will be amazing.   Bernstine's play was fantastic.  Looking forward to the redshirts and freshmen's talents.

All the postseason games ended with a 'L' so far this year.  Let's turn those into 'W's starting with hockey.

The next time you hear about how we need to cheer for any ND team "for the good of the state" in NCAA postseason, just send them to at Bville's thread on the NCAA Tournament to see how much cheering was done for UND by those turds.  Sure, there was maybe an exception, but we ignore them mostly, but they hardly ignore us in postseason.

• Upvote 2

I have never been more excited for a basketball game in all my life as I was last night!!  As cool as it was seeing North Dakota playing in the Big Dance, it was even better seeing how well we played.  UND could have gone out there and lost by 30 and no one would have thought any less of them.  Arizona is a legit contender for the National Championship, and our boys hung with them.  Even when they were shooting at 63%, we were still hanging around.   Watching them come back in the second half cutting the lead to 7 and hearing every fan (besides Wildcat fans) get behind us was an incredible moment.  These guys worked their asses off the last few years to take this program from the bottom of the Big Sky to the top to winning the Conference and earning a trip to the Dance!  Jones said about Hooker that he is a program changing type player.  That's exactly what he did.  The way he played the game turned into the way North Dakota as a team plays the game.  Up tempo, in your face, high energy basketball.  It will be tough to not see him on this team next year, but he definitely made his mark.

Congrats Fighting Hawks on an awesome season.  Those of us who have watched UND from when we were kids watching games at the Hyslop, you definitely made us proud to be UND basketball fans tonight.  Never giving up until that final buzzer went off.  Basketball has mad its resurgence to UND.  Hoping we can build off this experience and be even better next year. The future looks very bring for North Dakota Fighting Hawks basketball.  

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Watching them come back in the second half cutting the lead to 7 and hearing every fan (besides Wildcat fans) get behind us was an incredible moment.

That was a goosebumps moment!  I turned to my wife and said "This is fun!"  Apart from that moment being the highlight of the night, the overall impression we gave the college basketball world that we belonged in the game and didn't embarrass ourselves was probably even more satisfying.

• Upvote 1