SiouxSports.com Forum

Dean Blais is retiring

Old Barn Guy at Home

What has Omaha's power play looked like since Blais started coaching there?  Maybe we can hire him as a consultant to get ours kick started.  Half kidding, but part of me wonders how we can't have a better power play percentage with 4 guys in the pros from last year and three guys at least on this years team that will be there in short order.  

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

What has Omaha's power play looked like since Blais started coaching there?  Maybe we can hire him as a consultant to get ours kick started.  Half kidding, but part of me wonders how we can't have a better power play percentage with 4 guys in the pros from last year and three guys at least on this years team that will be there in short order.  

One thing I'll say about Coach Shaw is that he seems to have figured out zone entries on the PP. It'd be great if we could somehow track this because I feel like our % of entering the zone and maintaining control of the puck on the PP has skyrocketed since he came in.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, cberkas said:

So who do they replace Blais with?

Gabinet - Coached Albert before Going to Omaha, former Omaha player. Current coach.

Mike Hastings - A legend in Omaha

Cary Eades

Mike Guentzel

George Gwozdecky 

Rob Facca - helped build Western Michigan 

Dane Jackson?

53 minutes ago, cberkas said:

So who do they replace Blais with?

Gabinet - Coached Albert before Going to Omaha, former Omaha player. Current coach.

Mike Hastings - A legend in Omaha

Cary Eades

Mike Guentzel

George Gwozdecky 

Rob Facca - helped build Western Michigan 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Potulny throw his name in there either.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

One thing I'll say about Coach Shaw is that he seems to have figured out zone entries on the PP. It'd be great if we could somehow track this because I feel like our % of entering the zone and maintaining control of the puck on the PP has skyrocketed since he came in.

Just looked at the last 4 years and St. Cloud has a PP percentage of 24.65 and UND 18.9.  Part of that can be attributed to the big ice surface in St. Cloud, but that is such a big discrepancy.  20 percent should be the norm with the kind of talent we have from year to year. 

21 minutes ago, tnt said:

Just looked at the last 4 years and St. Cloud has a PP percentage of 24.65 and UND 18.9.  Part of that can be attributed to the big ice surface in St. Cloud, but that is such a big discrepancy.  20 percent should be the norm with the kind of talent we have from year to year. 

Yeah we have always seemed to have an underperforming PP, not sure the reason.

However, I was specifically referring to just the zone entry w/ possession.  It has seemed to improve greatly since Shaw came in. I love the play where: 3 players skate to the blue line with the Center having puck possession > before the blue line he turns around and passes it back to one of the trailers > Trailer reads the defense and either passes to other trailer who carries it in or carries it in himself if there's an opening. Seen them do it dozens of times this yr and it has a great success rate.

1 hour ago, tnt said:

105 is the goal for power play + penalty kill