SiouxSports.com Forum

Fighting Hawks vs AZ. Wildcats

hoops44

AZ boasts four 5 star recruits and four 4 star recruits.... Mcdonald All Americans vs Guys who eat at Mcdonalds....ESPN Joe Lunardi Take on Game.....

HOW FAR WILL THEY GO?

Best-case scenario: More than just 'happy to be here'
North Dakota is making its first trip to the Big Dance. For some schools, that is reason enough for celebration. That celebration can wear on some teams and lead to a blowout loss in the first round. North Dakota is talented enough to overcome that issue and play a competitive game.

Worst-case scenario: Blown out in the first round
There is, of course, the chance that North Dakota's Big Sky championship was the highlight of its season. This team has played more games against non-Division I opponents than any of the top 100 teams in the RPI. That may not bode well for success in March. If the Fighting Hawks offense sputters, they'll head to halftime with the game already out of reach.

18 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

We are not getting alot of respect.  Everyone thinks we will just be a pushover.  Let's shock the world.  

It may seem obvious, but this team plays its best when they spread the wealth around. I hope Baldwin is hot from the arc, Seales puts up those floaters in the lane, the posts own the paint, and Geno and Q do Geno and Q things. Go Hawks!

• Upvote 1

Arizona is long, talented, and deep. Hopefully Q and Geno can gain an advantage against Allen and Alkins. Seales and Baldwin will have their hands full with Trier. Going to need a big game from Drick and some big minutes from Shanks as they have 2 talented 7 footers and a 6-11 kid down low although the kid from Finland can step out and hit the 3 as well.

• Upvote 1

Arizona has a history of being upset in the first round, but not so much recently:

2016 L to #11 Wichita St in Providence, RI

1999 L to #13 Oklahoma in Milwaukee, WI

1995 L to #12 Miami O in Dayton, OH

1993 L to #15 Santa Clara in SLC, UT

1992 L to #14 ETSU in Atlanta, Ga

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Arizona has a history of being upset in the first round, but not so much recently:

2016 L to #11 Wichita St in Providence, RI

1999 L to #13 Oklahoma in Milwaukee, WI

1995 L to #12 Miami O in Dayton, OH

1993 L to #15 Santa Clara in SLC, UT

1992 L to #14 ETSU in Atlanta, Ga

2016 isn't recent?

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

2016 isn't recent?

Wichita St is always underseeded, at least recently.  Illinois St should have gotten into this tournament.  Look how underseeded Middle Tennessee St is with 30 wins, and they beat Vanderbilt which has a higher seed and isn't that good.  P5 teams always get the benefit of doubt.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Meh, it still involved Arizona choking. They haven't won anything in 20 freaking years and all we are hearing about today is their path to the Final Four is all but assured.

Right lmao all I am hearing is how easy their path is.  Whatever I hope they overlook us and we light them up.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

We are not getting alot of respect.  Everyone thinks we will just be a pushover.  Let's shock the world.  

Was watching them break down the brackets on ESPNU.

Spent about five minutes trying to figure out how South Dakota State can beat Gonzaga.

Spent about ten minutes analyzing Florida Gulf Coast's chances of knocking off Florida State.

When they came to the UND-Arizona match-up......"Any reason Arizona doesn't advance? Nope? Okay, let's move on to talk about VCU and St. Mary's and then we'll talk about Arizona some more." :angry: :angry: :angry:

I hope the coaches are recording stuff like this; it would light a fire under my a$$ if I was a player on the team.

Clark Kellogg on CBS actually gave us some respect, saying he thinks Arizona wins, but that the game could be closer than people think. But most people are acting like the Mildcats have a first round bye. :silly:

GO HAWKS, SHOCK THE WORLD!!!

• Upvote 3

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2695221-arizona-vs-north-dakota-march-madness-2017-preview-and-prediction

Going to be tough to control their 7'2" guy. Said he's got a bit of Frank Kaminsky in him and we all know what he did to us when we played Wisconsin. 

Looks like he plays around the 3-pt line a lot and is a very good shooter but I'm sure he can take advantage of our lack of size. Need Shanks to step up big and play smart. Matchup nightmare.

1 hour ago, sioux24/7 said:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2695221-arizona-vs-north-dakota-march-madness-2017-preview-and-prediction

Going to be tough to control their 7'2" guy. Said he's got a bit of Frank Kaminsky in him and we all know what he did to us when we played Wisconsin. 

Looks like he plays around the 3-pt line a lot and is a very good shooter but I'm sure he can take advantage of our lack of size. Need Shanks to step up big and play smart. Matchup nightmare.

It will be interesting to see if UND matches Bernstine at him.  The kid floats around the arc and will occasionally post. Doesn't do a lot of creating his own shot but is pretty money when given the slightest opening.  UCLA sent Kelsch at him on Friday and he had some success being aggressive down low but than they lost him around the arc.  

20 minutes ago, homer said:

It will be interesting to see if UND matches Bernstine at him.  The kid floats around the arc and will occasionally post. Doesn't do a lot of creating his own shot but is pretty money when given the slightest opening.  UCLA sent Kelsch at him on Friday and he had some success being aggressive down low but than they lost him around the arc.  

He will definitely be a matchup nightmare.  IDK how you guard a guy like that.  Reminds me of Dirk Nowitzki.  Looking at his stats he seems to be a pretty streaky shooter.  I guess we just have to hope for the best and not give him any good looks.  If he still makes a bunch of buckets there is not much else we can do.  

7 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

He will definitely be a matchup nightmare.  IDK how you guard a guy like that.  Reminds me of Dirk Nowitzki.  Looking at his stats he seems to be a pretty streaky shooter.  I guess we just have to hope for the best and not give him any good looks.  If he still makes a bunch of buckets there is not much else we can do.  

Beat him up at the other end. Drick just needs to bring some of the old man's physicality.