SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

Just caught something on WDAY about two players arrested for drug possession.  One of which is Iwarri Smith.  

Fire Jones maybe they can get a coach who brings in talent and character like the the football coach

A couple 18 year old kids got caught with marijuana. I am not supporting that behavior, but c'mom; they deserve the chance to at least correct their behaviors. Have you noticed that nice contingent of student-athletes at the UND basketball games? Those are mostly football players, so I'd say they have some positive character. Not to mention Bubba has been head coach of UND football for only two years and so far he has a real nice trend going (5-7 to 7-4, including a 3-game winning streak). What kind of trend has Jones put together over his head coaching career? 10 years of 0.500 basketball. 

• Upvote 2

I seldom mention NDSU in my posts but I certainly like what Coach Richman had to say after their loss to SDSU last night:

"We just weren't good enough tonight. But we are not in it to be good. We are in it to be great."

By the way, congrats to SDSU for sending both their BB teams to the Dance.  It is an exciting time in Brookings!

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

I seldom mention NDSU in my posts but I certainly like what Coach Richman had to say after their loss to SDSU last night:

"We just weren't good enough tonight. But we are not in it to be good. We are in it to be great."

By the way, congrats to SDSU for sending both their BB teams to the Dance.  It is an exciting time in Brookings!

To add to that:

"I'm not going to compromise who I am and I am not going to compromise our culture for anything," Richman said. "The right way is going to pay off and be more beneficial for us in the long run."

I can say that from all I have been told, this is far from the case with our program.  Hence, the difference in the product on the floor and results.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Richman has done a great job in just his second year, finishing with his second 20 win season. 23 wins his first year, 20 wins his second (without counting any tournaments like the CIT). Jones' first two years back in DII....11 wins and 15 wins. Jones' first two years of DI 16 wins and 8 wins. Jones' first two years of the Big Sky 16 wins and 17 wins, with that 17 wins being a senior loaded team. Most wins by Jones in a season is 19 in 2010-11 and 4 of those 19 wins were non DI opponents. Jones has a shot at that 19 mark, he does that and this program is dancing.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

So it's closer to $107,000 now then, unless his contract prohibits him from receiving state raises.  Just trying to get an idea of the buyout amount and the increase necessary to get into the $150-$175k range.

So Idalski only makes 20% more, not the 40% I previously thought.  

2 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

So it's closer to $107,000 now then, unless his contract prohibits him from receiving state raises.  Just trying to get an idea of the buyout amount and the increase necessary to get into the $150-$175k range.

Is he the least paid coach out of football, m&w basketball, and m&w hockey?

22 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Is he the least paid coach out of football, m&w basketball, and m&w hockey?

Yes. The MBB assistant salary pool is also the lowest of those 5 as well and on a per coach basis it is also lower the VB.

24 minutes ago, Shawn-O said:

So Idalski only makes 20% more, not the 40% I previously thought.  

Using full salary/benefits/bonuses, it was about 28% higher in 2013/2014.

Just now, jdub27 said:

Yes. The MBB assistant salary pool is also the lowest of those 5 as well and a per coach basis it is also lower the VB.

So if BF found money and put it towards the basketball program (like he did with football), would that make it better? Or is he waiting until after this season to magically find money and buyout Jones and pay more for a replacement, again like he did with football. Also wouldn't the basketball program have more money if they got a brand endorsement from Adidas?

9 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

So if BF found money and put it towards the basketball program (like he did with football), would that make it better? Or is he waiting until after this season to magically find money and buyout Jones and pay more for a replacement, again like he did with football. Also wouldn't the basketball program have more money if they got a brand endorsement from Adidas?

Having more money to pay assistants wouldn't be a bad thing, we could probably quit having an average of a new one every single year.

I'm not sure exactly how an sponsorship from adidias would work, my understanding is that typically for a school UND's size they get a discount of some sort on purchases and then X amount of workout/travel gear/etc for free. I don't know if what the current arrangement with Nike is and what kind of benefits there would be to switching to adidas. Last numbers I saw (2014) show basketball spent $28K on equipment/uniforms/supplies. That is less than what the women's basketball team spent and for reference, less than 12% of what the hockey team spent.

• Upvote 1

Just now, jdub27 said:

Having more money to pay assistants wouldn't be a bad thing, we could probably quit having an average of a new one every single year.

I'm not sure exactly how an sponsorship from adidias would work, my understanding is that typically for a school UND's size they get a discount of some sort on purchases and then X amount of workout/travel gear etc. I don't know if they currently have any sort of agreement with Nike and if there would be any benefits to switching to adidas. Last numbers I saw show basketball spent $28K on equipment/uniforms/supplies. That is less than what the women's basketball team spent and for reference, less than 12% of what the hockey team spent.

Thanks for the info.

On March 9, 2016 at 4:05 PM, darell1976 said:

Shoe money from adidas or Nike makes little difference. Discounted gear. That's about it. As jdub mentioned. Regarding BF finding more money. Jones will be extended and it will be for more money.  A given. So, he will need to find more dough.

The NCAA is distributing an extra $200 mill this year on a one time basis.  This will be apportioned according to how many scholarships are offered and can be used for players meals, snacks, FCOA or tuition endowments.

Essentially, a big part of the FCOA will be paid for at UND, as UND will get nearly a half a mill.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

Shoe money from adidas or Nike makes little difference. Discounted gear. That's about it. As jdub mentioned. Regarding BF finding more money. Jones will be extended and it will be for more money.  A given. So, he will need to find more dough.

Why do you feel its a given he will be extended?

6 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Can't fire a coach because we have no money. Can't let a coach be a lame duck for a year because it hurts recruiting....how does UND ever fire a coach?

I certainly wouldn't give Jones an extension this year.

Coaches get extensions when they have 1 year remaining. Just how the business works.