SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I think the storyline has moved from reliving to potentially how long can you justify extending Jones.

Unless the bottom falls out I see Jones back. But how long do you extend him? Faison cant be that foolish to let him go to a lame duck year is he? 

5 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think the storyline has moved from reliving to potentially how long can you justify extending Jones.

Unless the bottom falls out I see Jones back. But how long do you extend him? Faison cant be that foolish to let him go to a lame duck year is he? 

1 year extension and then add a buyout clause that is worth less than 1 year's salary? Probably have to give a little bump in exchange for that but could be worth it. The lame duck year is not an attractive option.

Tough situation. The team is better, but it has very little to nothing to do with Jones. Frustrating part of this whole situation is UND could potentially hire someone with a good track record as a head coach. Can you imagine a Bubba-type coach for UND MBB? Someone who is involved in the community and supports the entire university; it would do wonders in recruiting and, most importantly, the W column. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, F'n Hawks said:

wait... u still post here, didn't even notice

like i said start a MSUM board this is not a UMD, NDSU,USD, SDSU, board....last I heard this is UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA  Board...is that too difficult for you to understand???? Yup!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

6 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I don't think he's the world's greatest coach and think he still hasn't necessarily fully proven himself, which isn't a where you want to be after 10 years, but:
-It was pretty much all Jones' fault for the struggles during the transition, even though its obvious a large part of it had to do with the players and how they played, which he obviously recruited
-Yet any turnaround isn't attributed to him even though the team is finally back to doing fundamental things that were being done his first few years and then seemed to disappear with the transition group

I just can't see how one can be all his fault but yet he gets no credit on the other. He did a few different things to greatly improve the locker room chemistry this year because it was a huge problem over the last few seasons. He also is finally able have a better chance at getting the kind of players he wants and appear to be very coachable instead of getting guys that are talented but have deficiencies in other areas. I have no clue what is going to happen with the coaching situation and it will be a tough decision but this team is fun to watch and I'm excited to see what they can do in the postseason.

I must admit, because I'm critical of head coaches due their responsibilities in both game management and player acquisition/development, I must give partial credit to Jones now that he has some players (namely Hooker and Crandall) performing at an all-conference level. With that said, this year's team still hasn't showed enough to convince me Jones can ever lead UND to a conference championship. Jones has yet to (ever) beat Weber or Montana on the road and this year's squad has had poor late-game let downs at home to NDSU and Montana. If you can't hold down home court or win big games on the road, tough to win conference tournament games and make it to the grand prize: the NCAA tournament.

Nice/important opportunity on Thursday @ Montana. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I must admit, because I'm critical of head coaches due their responsibilities in both game management and player acquisition/development, I must give partial credit to Jones now that he has some players (namely Hooker and Crandall) performing at an all-conference level. With that said, this year's team still hasn't showed enough to convince me Jones can ever lead UND to a conference championship. Jones has yet to (ever) beat Weber or Montana on the road and this year's squad has had poor late-game let downs at home to NDSU and Montana. If you can't hold down home court or win big games on the road, tough to win conference tournament games and make it to the grand prize: the NCAA tournament.

Nice/important opportunity on Thursday @ Montana. 

I can agree with the majority of that. I think player development was somewhat stunted by players themselves the past handful of years. I also think that this team has improved quite a bit from where they were at the beginning of the year, which shouldn't be a surprise when 6 of your top 7 players didn't play a single minute for UND last year and the 8th only played the second semester. The way this team has been playing lately is incredibly encouraging. Hopefully the trend of playing their best basketball in March continues.

Thursday is a big test to see where this team is heading into the conference tournament.

5 minutes ago, UND92,96 said:

An extension, or the opportunity to coach the final year of his contract (being next season)? I am in favor of the latter.

I agree. If he gets UND to the dance extend it one year, or else start the search. He has no signature wins, a very horrible record against OOC teams on the road, and zero wins in any tournament including a loss to transition Omaha in the CIT. This team is playing great and I hope they can run the table in Reno. 

• Upvote 1

4. NORTH DAKOTA (15-12, 10-6)
Last week: 5
RPI: 222
KenPom: 202
The lowdown: The Fighting Hawks are one of the youngest teams in the country. North Dakota has eight players averaging at least 15.8 minutes a game in Big Sky play and they consist of two juniors, two sophomores and four freshmen. In terms of experience, UND is 342nd in the nation.*

This brings us to a question. Is North Dakota’s Brian Jones the league’s coach of the year? We haven’t heard a lot of chatter when it comes to Jones, but considering the young squad he’s assembled and what they’ve done to this point, he has to be considered along with Rahe, UM coach Travis DeCuire, Idaho coach Don Verlin and Idaho State coach Bill Evans. 

http://www.bigskybball.com/2016/03/the-most-powerful-power-rankings-in-big.html

12 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:
The lowdown: The Fighting Hawks are one of the youngest teams in the country. North Dakota has eight players averaging at least 15.8 minutes a game in Big Sky play and they consist of two juniors, two sophomores and four freshmen. In terms of experience, UND is 342nd in the nation.*

This brings us to a question. Is North Dakota’s Brian Jones the league’s coach of the year? We haven’t heard a lot of chatter when it comes to Jones, but considering the young squad he’s assembled and what they’ve done to this point, he has to be considered along with Rahe, UM coach Travis DeCuire, Idaho coach Don Verlin and Idaho State coach Bill Evans. 

He has done a great job with these young kids and has blown the preseason projections out of the water but is this a one time thing? His records are almost around .500 every year. He hasn't had a 20 win season, came close with 19 in the 2010-11 season of the GWC. He has finished third in 2012-13, and tied for 2nd in 2013-14 with 12-8 conference records. Within conference play he coaches pretty well, outside of the conference he is horrible. Being a one bid league where RPI's and bubble teams don't mean anything, just win the tournament and you are dancing, should he get an extension or should UND start looking after next season when his contract is up. I was always on the Fire Jones squad, but the way this team is playing, and restoring hope for this program its made me take a second look at Jones.

Big Sky record 38-36

Overall record (since joining the Big Sky) 56-68

OOC record (since joining the Big Sky) 18-32  (6-29 vs DI teams)

Not including this season he has 3 winning records (overall) and it was all in the GWC, this year could be his first in the Big Sky being 3 games above .500, so its a tough choice especially if he gets UND into the dance.

There is zero decision to make UND wins the Big Sky tournament especially considering the current roster make-up.

It is already sitting at a tough decision because of what he has done with a young squad. Now it is just a matter of how much has he earned. I previously stated with how this season has gone, he should get a 1 year extension with a small bump in salary for next season in exchange for a reduced buyout on the extension year. This is mainly because I'm not a fan of letting a coach go into a lame duck year.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

No way he wins Coach of the Year for several reasons not the least of which is Big Sky Bias, then there is his courtside antics.  

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

No way he wins Coach of the Year for several reasons not the least of which is Big Sky Bias, then there is his courtside antics.  

I'd argue he's been overshadowed courtside by the opposing coach quite a few times this year. NAU, PSU and Sac State come to mind just off the top of my head.

9 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Just caught something on WDAY about two players arrested for drug possession.  One of which is Iwarri Smith.  

Fire Jones maybe they can get a coach who brings in talent and character like the the football coach

He has 100+ players on his roster.  Jones has 15.  And last years squad was the biggest bunch of misfits in the history of UND basketball.  

• Upvote 1