SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

You love those CIT tournaments don't you.

Feel free to point out where I previously stated anything along those lines. But since you brought it up, in 2011 and 2012, it was all the team had to play for and they earned an auto-bid both years, so yeah, I was proud that those teams achieved that goal. Not sure how you wanted them to earn something that wasn't available?

Last year, the team finished higher than any first year team in the Big Sky had previously and took the eventual champions to the wire in the semi's. Would have loved to see them pull off the upset and take on Montana in the championship game, but Weber was a better team. UND's performance was recognized with a bid to a postseason tournament, seems a lot better than the alternative of sitting at home.

Feel free to point out where I previously stated anything along those lines. But since you brought it up, in 2011 and 2012, it was all the team had to play for and they earned an auto-bid both years, so yeah, I was proud that those teams achieved that goal. Not sure how you wanted them to earn something that wasn't available?

Last year, the team finished higher than any first year team in the Big Sky had previously and took the eventual champions to the wire in the semi's. Would have loved to see them pull off the upset and take on Montana in the championship game, but Weber was a better team. UND's performance was recognized with a bid to a postseason tournament, seems a lot better than the alternative of sitting at home.

With Jones that's the best I ever see for UND. I know in the GWC that's the best they could play for, but we aren't in the GWC anymore and if UND doesn't start winning conference titles it's time for a change.

UND needs to have a .500 record or better to get into CIT, right? So they need to win the opening game of the Big Sky tournament now that they blew the game last night.

Correct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CollegeInsider.com_Postseason_Tournament

Participating teams must finish the regular season with a .500 winning percentage or better to qualify, with the exception of the Great West Conference Tournament winner, who is given an automatic bid to play in the CIT if they are not given an at-large bid to participate in the NCAA or NIT tournaments

Weber wasn't the eventual champion. I agree with you on the rest. As far as last night's game goes, I hope the guys are embarrassed and play with renewed fire in the BSC tourney.

Weber wasn't the eventual champion. I agree with you on the rest. As far as last night's game goes, I hope the guys are embarrassed and play with renewed fire in the BSC tourney.

You are correct, blanked on that for some reason.

On another note, Weber hasn't won the conference tournament and went dancing since 2007, which was their current coach's first year. Talk about a cold streak for a school who puts that much emphasis on basketball. Yet oddly enough, I don't see a "Fire Rahe" thread on their message board, or at least one with any current activity.

On another note, Weber hasn't won the conference tournament and went dancing since 2007, which was their current coach's first year. Talk about a cold streak for a school who puts that much emphasis on basketball. Yet oddly enough, I don't see a "Fire Rahe" thread on their message board, or at least one with any current activity.

A 7 year drought is nothing compared to the current 23 year drought for UND. (1990-91 the last time UND made the NCAA Regionals) Jones is the first coach since Jimmy Rodgers (67-69) not to be in the NCAA Regionals (DII or DI).

Well that's obviously because:

- they have sunk to a level of mediocrity

- fans on the site are willing to accept that the program is mirred in a 7 year slump

- the players don't care

- the coach can't coach

- they have no one on their fan site that truly cares enough about the team to keep a "Fire Rahe" alive after every loss.

• Upvote 1

So we are stuck with a coach who hasn't won anything, including DII? Sorry but I want a winner at UND, and it seems like the women's sports and outperforming the men's sports. The women could beat the men at basketball, they know how to rebound, and Brewster knows how to control the attitudes of his players. Jones lets his guys do whatever, and they couldn't outrebound Central.

Which is why they just wiped the floor with Northern Colorado on the boards a few days ago?

You are using that word quite liberally by using it to describe some of his arguments.

No one is denying last night's game was unacceptable, but some people need to take a step back and fight the urge to run to their computer to demand someone lose their job everytime they see a result they don't like.

Inconsistency has epitomized this team ever since Jones took it over. And this group of seniors, the first Division I recruiting class, does not play team ball and at times does not put forth the effort needed to win games.

How many times do these things have to happen before it becomes a pattern to you? 5 more years? 10? I just can't get excited about any wins by this team because they invariably disappoint you in the end.

What frustrates me right now... is that if this team had ANY consistency right now, we would have won the darn conference and be hosting.

If UND plays 3 good conference games in a row however next week (and I could say any of the big sky teams), they will win the tournament. Tell me 1 team that has any confidence going into this.

This WAS the year when Jones couldn't hide behind excuses like "we're too young" and "we're too injured" - I get it Brekke was a major loss but you had NOTHING ELSE to replace him in the post after all these years??? Calcaterra had 2 minutes of playing time the other night and where the hell was NASH??? aarrggghhhhh!!!!!!!

Jones=Muss is a valid comparision. They seem to blame players and "circumstances" and everything else BUT themselves?? Brian is a nice guy but it might be time to cut the ties after this mediocre "dream season". The best thing about this season is they KICKED ndsu in the nuts and now the cow-school thinks they're the sh*t in the slummit....THAT'S HILARIOUS!!! They might win but I'm putting my money on ORAL Roberts so open wide cowcollege - they're coming for you! :)

Not sure we can really trash talk NDSU too much. We may have dominated them, but then we fell apart, as they went on to beat Notre Dame. UND has not even held a competitve game against one of the big schools. They have shown flashes of their true potential this year, but ultimately have been dissappointing. Losing a game or two to Weber St is understandable; but losing the games to Montana State, Sac St. and SUU ... those were supposed to be the games that we found a way to win.

Can this team still make it to the big dance? sure. Will they? doubtful.

What frustrates me right now... is that if this team had ANY consistency right now, we would have won the darn conference and be hosting.

If UND plays 3 good conference games in a row however next week (and I could say any of the big sky teams), they will win the tournament. Tell me 1 team that has any confidence going into this.

Bingo!!!! This conference is so wide open. Anyone can beat anyone (as we all know from last night).

Travis Brewster is 21-19 in the Big Sky and 31-27 overall.

But Brewster is in just his second year and had to clean house last year of players that didn't fit in with this way of doing things. Jones has been here since before the transition and we are still waiting for one of his teams to play with any consistency.

But Brewster is in his second year and had to clean house last year of players that didn't fit in with this way of doing things. Jones has been here since before the transition and we are still waiting for one of his teams to play with any consistency.

I didn't say anything one way or another. Since Jones' record had been put out there and we are apparently comparing the men's and women's teams, just though Brewster's record should also be shown.

And Brewster has been on staff since 2008-2009 and was in charge of recruiting while Roebuck was here. Don't try to pretend he had nothing to do with the roster make-up before he became head coach. It was no secret that he was going to be the one to replace Gene and he was given responsibilities in line with that.

2 years and a regular season title compared to Jones's 7 years and how many titles?

Two conference tournaments and 3 post season appearances.

Can you tell me what point you are trying to make? Are you comparing Jones to Brewster? Or are you comparing the men's team to a different program in the conference? Your argument moves around so much that I'm not sure where you are going with it.

Two conference tournaments and 3 post season appearances.

Can you tell me what point you are trying to make? Are you comparing Jones to Brewster? Or are you comparing the men's team to a different program in the conference? Your argument moves around so much that I'm not sure where you are going with it.

I am saying Brewster in just 2 years took UND from the second worst in the conference to winning it, while Jones is at another .500 season in seven years at HC. The only consistentcy Jones has is a .500 record he is good at that. I chalk up the GWC titles in the same boat as Muss's GWFC title of 2011. It was good during transition but that time is gone. We are 2 years past that, Faison saw our football team going nowhere, hopefully he sees the same in our basketball team.

• Upvote 1

Jones took us to the NCC title game in just his second season, won two Great West tournaments, and in two seasons in the Big Sky will finish no worse than 3rd. He is 100% not getting fired this year. If next season goes in the toilet then maybe we can have this discussion but it isn't happening this year.

• Upvote 3

Jones took us to the NCC title game in just his second season, won two Great West tournaments, and in two seasons in the Big Sky will finish no worse than 3rd. He is 100% not getting fired this year. If next season goes in the toilet then maybe we can have this discussion but it isn't happening this year.

I am with you in that Jones should get at least one more season. But the point darell1976 and others are making is that Jones is running out of time to prove he can take this program to the top of the conference on a regular basis and make the NCAA tournament at least some of the time. That should be our goal as a Division I Men's BB program. The women's team looks to be there; the men's team has a ways to go.

I'm holding back until the conference tournament is over. This team has been so sporadic it seems it would only make sense that they lose to Southern Utah and then go on a big tourney run. With that being said, I absolutely hate the inconsistency. In my opinion, the sign of a well coached team is discipline and consistency. Even if the talent and wins aren't occasionally present, which happens in college athletics because seniors graduate and move, a well-coached team always finds ways to do the little things and stay in most games. This is why big-time coaches rarely have losing seasons, even if they lose high-end talent. It seems Jones' teams have been just the opposite. Even though this team continues to gain additional talent and experience, they stay inconsistent. That shouldn't happen. Good football/basketball coaches demand attention to detail and focus. UND has not especially had this.

This was the case in football for the past six years. Thankfully, steps were made to correct that and things look to be changing for the better. As far as Jones and basketball are concerned, I'm not convinced. This year's team could still do some good things in the tourney, but its unlikely. Also, I honestly believe UND should be top 3 every year in the Big Sky along with Montana and Weber State in basketball. It's a matter of facilities, tradition, and other resources. When you look at it that way, UND is right on par. I'd say let the tournament play out and go from there. That's all.

• Upvote 2

... Bubba appears to be doing alright with cleaning up the mess that was left for him, but we don't know yet. ...

I like your optimism on the football program, but on what grounds are you basing this statement? The football team has not even had spring practice yet. The optimism for Mussman's teams was always high at this time of year too.