SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Either way this has been a pathetic year for all the hype coming into it. If Jones can barely get us into the conference tourny with this team than what is he going to do with next years? It's not going to be pretty. If UND is serious about basketball Jones would be let go as soon as possible.

Agree 100%. This is not Division II where you could finish in the top half of the NCC, squeak into the North Central Regional and call it a success. This is Division I. The stakes are higher and the expectations are higher. I think Mr. Faison will have another tough decision to make in about a year.

Which is also tied for 3rd in the conference, right in the neighborhood of where they were picked to finish in the conference in the preseason.

No use to try and justify this team's performance thus far. They were picked 2nd and they won't finish 2nd. They are 8-7 in the conference and last year they went 12-8. They are one loss away from tying that mark which is unacceptable considering what this team gained (Nash, Stefan, Calceterra, Salmonson, Hooker, etc.) and what other Big Sky teams lost.

Jones' squad has choked this season...horribly. No way around it. If he doesn't produce next season, then UND and Faison best cut ties with him. UND basketball deserves better. The Big Sky conference should allow UND to compete for the NCAA tournament each and every year. I'm not sure this year's team will even make the BSC tournament.

Despite all this, I still hold out hope we make the BSC tournament and get hot there.

No use to try and justify this team's performance thus far. They were picked 2nd and they won't finish 2nd. They are 8-7 in the conference and last year they went 12-8. They are one loss away from tying that mark which is unacceptable considering what this team gained (Nash, Stefan, Calceterra, Salmonson, Hooker, etc.) and what other Big Sky teams lost.

Jones' squad has choked this season...horribly. No way around it. If he doesn't produce next season, then UND and Faison best cut ties with him. UND basketball deserves better. The Big Sky conference should allow UND to compete for the NCAA tournament each and every year. I'm not sure this year's team will even make the BSC tournament.

Despite all this, I still hold out hope we make the BSC tournament and get hot there.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you wrote. My point is that it is just sad and frankly embarassing that it is so predictable to see a "Fire Coach X" comment or thread after every single loss.

Not going to deny that the regular season has been disappointing and quite honestly impossible to understand or predict. Jones teams have histroically gotten hot at the end of the year, hoping that the trend continues.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you wrote. My point is that it is just sad and frankly embarassing that it is so predictable to see a "Fire Coach X" comment or thread after every single loss.

Not going to deny that the regular season has been disappointing and quite honestly impossible to understand or predict. Jones teams have histroically gotten hot at the end of the year, hoping that the trend continues.

So you don't like this thread because you hope the team gets hot soon because of history? History doesn't always repeat.

So you don't like this thread because you hope the team gets hot soon because of history? History doesn't always repeat.

Quite the deductive reasoning you used to get to that conclusion. I don't like this thread because it was started 5 games in to the conference schedule and some people think that putting someone out of a job should be a knee-jerk decision after every loss.

Again, I'm disappointed how the season has gone but I am pretty confident Jones remains employed even if he doesn't win a game the rest of the year unless you or someone is going to write a check that says otherwise. And even then, I am pretty confident that he will still be coaching at the start of next season. Never said that history always repeat itself, but almost every single year his team has played its best basketball at the end of the year. That's called a trend and I'm hopeful that it continues.

Again, I'm disappointed how the season has gone but I am pretty confident Jones remains employed even if he doesn't win a game the rest of the year unless you or someone is going to write a check that says otherwise. And even then, I am pretty confident that he will still be coaching at the start of next season. Never said that history always repeat itself, but almost every single year his team has played its best basketball at the end of the year. That's called a trend and I'm hopeful that it continues.

I too am very confident that he will be coaching here again next season. I do not agree that he should be but that is just the way it is going to be. We are too accepting of mediocrity here in basketball to fire a coach that doesn't have a completely disastrous season. My whole thing with Jones is, like I have said before, he just doesn't have what it takes as a coach to lead us to the top of the Big Sky.

• Upvote 1

I too am very confident that he will be coaching here again next season. I do not agree that he should be but that is just the way it is going to be. We are too accepting of mediocrity here in basketball to fire a coach that doesn't have a completely disastrous season. My whole thing with Jones is, like I have said before, he just doesn't have what it takes as a coach to lead us to the top of the Big Sky.

I tend to ignore pretty much everything that happened during transition in relation to his performance, it had to be tough to get guys to play here. I'm amazed at the current senior class that Jones was able to put together when he basically recruited with nothing to sell them. Last year, I think his team overachieved by finishing 3rd and taking Weber to the wire in the semi's, pretty sure no one predicted either of those things to happen. This year I think they are underachieving based on what their results were last year, but the season isn't over.

Quite the deductive reasoning you used to get to that conclusion. I don't like this thread because it was started 5 games in to the conference schedule and some people think that putting someone out of a job should be a knee-jerk decision after every loss.

Read why I created this thread, because people were clogging up game threads with fire Jones talk so I created this thread to keep that talk here and game talk within the game threads. I didn't create this because it was 5 games into the conference schedule.

I tend to ignore pretty much everything that happened during transition in relation to his performance, it had to be tough to get guys to play here. I'm amazed at the current senior class that Jones was able to put together when he basically recruited with nothing to sell them. Last year, I think his team overachieved by finishing 3rd and taking Weber to the wire in the semi's, pretty sure no one predicted either of those things to happen. This year I think they are underachieving based on what their results were last year, but the season isn't over.

Wait... so last year they overachieved? But now this year they are underachieving compared to their overachieving results from last year?

Read why I created this thread, because people were clogging up game threads with fire Jones talk so I created this thread to keep that talk here and game talk within the game threads. I didn't create this because it was 5 games into the conference schedule.

And you also started not one but two Fire Muss threads along with another similar one in the middle of the football season. And yeah, sure seems like your only intent was to keep the game threads clean...

I added this thread so it doesn't clog up game threads. So put in your two cents, your frustration on the HC whose team was picked towards the top of the BSC and is now 2-3 in conference play but more importantly....NO ROAD WINS!! If you can't win on the road you are not going to win the conference. We have seen this in the past where our team can't win on the road, this isn't the GWC we are in we are in the Big Sky, where competition is greater. I am going to say this....if UND doesn't make the dance....Fire Jones!

Wait... so last year they overachieved? But now this year they are underachieving compared to their overachieving results from last year?

In a roundabout way yes, I guess so? I guess they were picked 4th/6th in the coaches and media poll and I thought it was a little lower than that, but still thought they surprised some people. They probably would have been picked around the same spot in the preseason poll this year bringing everyone back this year, but regardless of that, they are still underachieving across the board this year.

And you also started not one but two Fire Muss threads along with another similar one in the middle of the football season. And yeah, sure seems like your only intent was to keep the game threads clean...

In a roundabout way yes, I guess so? I guess they were picked 4th/6th in the coaches and media poll and I thought it was a little lower than that, but still thought they surprised some people. They probably would have been picked around the same spot in the preseason poll this year bringing everyone back this year, but regardless of that, they are still underachieving across the board this year.

I only recall 1 fire muss thread and that was after getting blown out against Idaho in 2011. As for Jones if we don't make the dance fire him may be a little hasty so let me rivise that by saying if we don't make the BSC Tournament then Fire Jones.

We all know Jones could have a .670 win percentage but if he hadn't gotten UND into the NCAA tournament everyone would still be calling for him to be fired.

No. UND has little history in basketball and the fans would gladly take a .670 win percentage every year.

Hockey on the other hand......

• 2 weeks later...

Bump!

I know he won't be fired after this season seeing we got into the tournament. But if next season starts out like this season started out with losses not only to teams like Wisconsin and Oregon (pretty much expected), but teams like Bowling Green and Cal Poly I think Jones should be gone. UND is at SDSU and NDSU and you know Jones's track record on the road. Is it better to fire a coach halfway through the season (like you see in the pros) or do it after the dumpster fire of a season ends in March. The only way to keep his job next season is to win the BSC Tournament.

You are delusional if you think that.

So we are stuck with a coach who hasn't won anything, including DII? Sorry but I want a winner at UND, and it seems like the women's sports and outperforming the men's sports. The women could beat the men at basketball, they know how to rebound, and Brewster knows how to control the attitudes of his players. Jones lets his guys do whatever, and they couldn't outrebound Central.