SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I know UND played #1 Weber State, but if UND misses the conference tournament, which we are in fifth place and only the top 7 make it, I think Jones has to go. This team is very inconsistent and with 9 games left all of them are important.

WSU 9-2

UNC 7-4

UM 6-5

PSU 6-5

UND 6-5

NAU 6-5

EWU 5-6

-----------------

MSU 5-6

Sac 5-6

ISU 5-6

SUU 0-10

10 games left with 6 of them at home. UND went 4-0 at the Betty against the teams they have left to play on the road, with one of them being winless SUU. Going to go on a limb and say they take at least 7 of the remaining 10.

Weber is a good team and showed it last night. Jones isn't going anywhere with 3 years left on his contract.

9 games left with 5 of them at home. UND went 4-0 at the Betty against the teams they have left to play on the road, with one of them being winless SUU. Going to go on a limb and say they take at least 7 of the remaining 10.

Weber is a good team and showed it last night. Jones isn't going anywhere with 3 years left on his contract.

FIFY and UND is 6-3 against the teams left. I hope they can go 9-0 and win the whole thing. Maybe WSU can fall.

Jones isn't going anywhere after this season, regardless of the finish.

I agree. With last year's extension of Jones' contract through 2016-17, it virtually guaranteed that he is at UND through 2014-15 at the absolute minimum. And it would probably take a disaster of 2013 UND football proportions for anything to happen after next season, either.

I have followed UND basketball since the Gunther era, maybe that is part of my problem. Dave and Glas both had down years, sometimes several in a row. But I never heard anyone ever call for their heads. Of course there were no chat rooms, there was only talk over a beer after the game. They had talented teams and sometimes they just didn't put it together as well as another team. I always just looked at it as entertainment, not a reflection of UND as a whole, or something that would ruin my enjoyment of UND sporting events in general.

• Upvote 1

I have followed UND basketball since the Gunther era, maybe that is part of my problem. Dave and Glas both had down years, sometimes several in a row. But I never heard anyone ever call for their heads. Of course there were no chat rooms, there was only talk over a beer after the game. They had talented teams and sometimes they just didn't put it together as well as another team. I always just looked at it as entertainment, not a reflection of UND as a whole, or something that would ruin my enjoyment of UND sporting events in general.

How many conference titles has been won by Gunther, Glas, and Jones?

Gunther 5 (NCC) 18 years 4 Elite 8 appearances

Glas 3 (NCC) 19 years 2 Elite 8 appearances

Jones 2 (GWC) 8 years 3 CIT appearances

I still think Jones should either be gone on the very, very hot seat if they don't make the BSC tournament this year. With all the hype of UND's seniors, and picked towards the top of the conference they should be almost a sure thing to make the tournament.

When Glas had talented teams, they kicked ass. When he didn't they were average.

Jones has 6 seniors and the best team he has ever had and they are no better than last year, or the year before (arguably). That's the problem.

• Upvote 2

When Glas had talented teams, they kicked ass. When he didn't they were average.

Jones has 6 seniors and the best team he has ever had and they are no better than last year, or the year before (arguably). That's the problem.

Problem is they don't have a team they have individuals. That is Jones fault.

I still think Jones should either be gone on the very, very hot seat if they don't make the BSC tournament this year. With all the hype of UND's seniors, and picked towards the top of the conference they should be almost a sure thing to make the tournament.

If this team didn't make the Big Sky Tournament, that would be an epic fail.

I think it is highly unlikely that they don't make the Big Sky tournament. But I felt coming into this year that there could have been an outside chance that the tourney would have been held at the Sioux Center.

As I, and others, have pointed out, Jones' teams are normally playing their best basketball in February and March. I think (well, hoping) that is going to be the case again this year. The problem is with the history, tradition, resources, and facilities of UND basketball, this program should be able to be good from the start of the season to the end of the season.

How many conference titles has been won by Gunther, Glas, and Jones?

Gunther 5 (NCC) 18 years 4 Elite 8 appearances

Glas 3 (NCC) 19 years 2 Elite 8 appearances

Jones 2 (GWC) 8 years 3 CIT appearances

I am not a Jone apologist, I am not Mrs. Jones. Now let's have an intelligent discussion.

1. When we look back on this team in 5 years I think we will realize the talent level wasn't as good as the current perspective thinks it is - for this level of basketball.

2. This teams legacy - great individual talent - weak on team work?

3. Can't really compare DII records to DI record - way different opponent talent level and strength of schedule.

4. There will be no more Elite 8 appearances for UND men's basketball - ever.

I am not a Jone apologist, I am not Mrs. Jones. Now let's have an intelligent discussion.

1. When we look back on this team in 5 years I think we will realize the talent level wasn't as good as the current perspective thinks it is - for this level of basketball.

2. This teams legacy - great individual talent - weak on team work?

3. Can't really compare DII records to DI record - way different opponent talent level and strength of schedule.

4. There will be no more Elite 8 appearances for UND men's basketball - ever.

Totally agree on 2,3 and 4. Not much teamwork, can't compare records between d2 era and D1 era and the odds of UND ever making the Elite 8 in D1 is slim to none. Topic 1 , hopefully the talent level in 5 years is better than this current group of seniors otherwise the coaches have not done their jobs very well. However, this class of seniors is a very good class considering they had a nothing conference with no chance of the NCAA for 2 years and yet we got them to UND and what this group of 5 has done from the beginning in wins and post season tournaments during the transitions years is really remarkable. Yes it could have been better if there was more of a team structure but they have won 2 conference championships, placed 3rd in the first year in the Big Sky ( best ever for first year team) and played in 3 consecutive post season tournaments not a bad legacy. The final chapter is still yet to be written and just maybe one more conference tournament championship and the DANCE.

Defense, rebounding, and shot selection are three glaring inconsistencies of this team. I can only hope Jones has been stressing defensive and rebounding drills, with threats of riding the pine if you don't. If you don't find your man and box him out, and he gets the rebound and an offensive put back, you're coming out. Simple as that.

Defense, rebounding, and shot selection are three glaring inconsistencies of this team. I can only hope Jones has been stressing defensive and rebounding drills, with threats of riding the pine if you don't. If you don't find your man and box him out, and he gets the rebound and an offensive put back, you're coming out. Simple as that.

Rebounds are definitely an "effort" stat.

Rebounds are definitely an "effort" stat.

Exactly. And when you have a team that is as athletically gifted as this one, that doesn't rebound, it's quite telling how much "effort" is being put into it. Hopefully they can turn the "effort" switch on for the home stretch...but it usually doesn't work like that.

Let's hold off on the chopping block talk until the rest of this season plays out. Obviously I'm disappointed with how the season has gone thus far but at this level of basketball the only thing that matters is tournament time and this senior class has consistently played its best come tournament time. If we fail to make the Big Sky tournament or get bounced in the first round then maybe we can talk but for now let's sit back and see if they can find that late season magic they've had each of the last 3 years.

Let's hold off on the chopping block talk until the rest of this season plays out. Obviously I'm disappointed with how the season has gone thus far but at this level of basketball the only thing that matters is tournament time and this senior class has consistently played its best come tournament time. If we fail to make the Big Sky tournament or get bounced in the first round then maybe we can talk but for now let's sit back and see if they can find that late season magic they've had each of the last 3 years.

And it needs to start this weekend against the Montana schools. 8 games left in the season, 5 at home, NAU, SAC and SUU on the road. Defend the home court and get 2 out of 3 on the road and that should be enough to get the 2nd seed.

There is something about March that Jones teams just seem to do well in. (well for the exception of 09-10, which was a flaming disaster)

And it needs to start this weekend against the Montana schools. 8 games left in the season, 5 at home, NAU, SAC and SUU on the road. Defend the home court and get 2 out of 3 on the road and that should be enough to get the 2nd seed.

There is something about March that Jones teams just seem to do well in. (well for the exception of 09-10, which was a flaming disaster)

Don't think there would be a whole lot of difference in the 2 or 3 seed at this point, but one of those would be ideal. Would be nice to avoid the match-up with Weber until the championship game.

I agree once the shot goes up find your man and box him out. However, there are many times in a game a 3 point shot comes hard and long off the rim and even if you have a good box out these rebounds are hard to get cause they go over your head. We have a couple of players that box out very well but balls find a way over their heads long and the opponent gets them.

All the "difficult" conference games are over. Team needs to go 7-1 over this last stretch to lock up the #2 seed in my opinion (8-0 is possible I suppose).

The most difficult games were the road games vs Weber St, Northern Colorado, and Montana, and well, we soundly lost all three. Well, we don't play Weber (until likely the conference tournament) and Montana and Northern Colorado will be coming to Grand Forks. Have to defend home court and get two big wins this weekend. Add on three solid yet plausible road wins and we could be in good shape (#2) going in to the conference tournament.

I think he probably needs to go. I don't understand how this team can get used on the boards like they do. The team lacks toughness and mental focus. I see every coach in the Big Sky, I personally don't see Jones making alot adjustments. I see him putting his arms out and complaining all game. That is usually the sign of coach with little toughness and focus,

I think he probably needs to go. I don't understand how this team can get used on the boards like they do. The team lacks toughness and mental focus. I see every coach in the Big Sky, I personally don't see Jones making alot adjustments. I see him putting his arms out and complaining all game. That is usually the sign of coach with little toughness and focus,

SPOT ON