SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

24 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Wouldn’t you rather have a young aspiring ad out to prove something then another lazy ad riding the wave to retirement?

Young = Inexperienced. Now a young coach out to prove something is a different story. We should have hired Craig Smith when we had the opportunity.

Edited by ibleedgreen

Jones has 2 more seasons to right the ship and that appears unlikely....UND will not spring for more than a 1 year buyout....Will need to cut loose at least one  coach Horner is doing the bulk of recruiting and team is taking too many d2 prospects out of iowa/quad cities....Shooting Coach davidson has brought in no recruits....and shooting is terrible....He is a pal of Jones but it looks like he needs to go...They need to hit MN. and Wisky  plus D1 transfer recruits rather than small town stars from rural Iowa.  Geno if he graduates by next fall is likely to grad transfers out....team takes a big hit when junior glass  graduates....Jal is a stud recruit for UND....If Geno comes back next year, a non productive player leaves and is replaced by a solid juco or grad transfer,plus if JUCO McCauley  plays up to his billing ...then next years team might be a solid Summit league team

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, hky said:

Curious how many posters have watched men's BB in person this year.  As bad as it is online, it is worse in person.   I think Q was a huge difference maker that delayed in the inevitable.

Q was the glue that held the together.

• Upvote 1

On 1/4/2018 at 7:50 AM, MafiaMan said:

:lol:  You seem surprised!

Yeah, where do you think all that Champions Club $$$$$ comes from? It ain't from the Legislature, I can tell you that.

Collegiate athletics are increasingly funded via private dollars. If people have a problem with that, then they should just refuse to donate.

• 11 months later...

Time to dust off this thread, as it’s a broken record.

Last time we had a new men’s coach we were in the NCC. Why has Jones been allowed to last that long. Bubba was being called out just 4 seasons in by fans, Berry is being called out just 3 seasons in, and yet Jones and his mediocrity has been a stain for over a decade, and yet the mood is oh well. 

No Summit League Title this season, can him.

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

Faison's decision to allow Jones to be a lame duck in 2016-17 continues to haunt this program (should have cut bait or extended him after 15-16).  

I guess he thought the success of that season would continue, instead he has gone 12-20 last year and just one DI win this year. Not good.

21 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Time to dust off this thread, as it’s a broken record.

Last time we had a new men’s coach we were in the NCC. Why has Jones been allowed to last that long. Bubba was being called out just 4 seasons in by fans, Berry is being called out just 3 seasons in, and yet Jones and his mediocrity has been a stain for over a decade, and yet the mood is oh well. 

No Summit League Title this season, can him.

I mean I agree but Jones has been called out by the fans for numerous seasons. 

1 minute ago, sioux24/7 said:

I mean I agree but Jones has been called out by the fans for numerous seasons. 

There have been some very vocal fans that Jones needs to go, but there are a lot of people that make excuses for him to stay. You don't get 130 pages of a 4 year old thread if everyone agrees he needs to go. 

9 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I guess he thought the success of that season would continue, instead he has gone 12-20 last year and just one DI win this year. Not good.

What I am getting at is he never should have been put in that lame duck situation.  After the 15-16 season, Faison should have just manned up and said either "I believe in you Brian, here is a 3 year $120,000 extension." or "Brian, I think it is time we went in a different direction"  He did neither.

Any of those situations go down and UND basketball is in way better shape that it is right now.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

What I am getting at is he never should have been put in that lame duck situation.  After the 15-16 season, Faison should have just manned up and said either "I believe in you Brian, here is a 3 year $120,000 extension." or "Brian, I think it is time we went in a different direction"  He did neither.

Any of those situations go down and UND basketball is in way better shape that it is right now.  

Faison didn't want anything to do with coaching changes until the program was in the hole. Any glimpses of hope and is an automatic extension from Faison. (see Muss and Brewster) Chaves has to see basketball as a major problem with lack of success and needs to be addressed both men's and women's.

Just now, bincitysioux said:

Well let's cut him some slack since he is a record setting coach.  He is after all UNDs all time leader in the loss the column.  Thats right, the losingest coach in the history of UND  men's basketball.  The lone member of the "200 Club".  He has definitely left a mark.......a skid-mark.

Lmao..... I really hope Chaves doesn’t give him slack this year just because of the new conference.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I used to be a huge fire Jones guy, but now it's kinda mehhh.  This team isn't as frustrating to watch as the Troy Huff years.  

Apathy ... not good. UND men’s basketball could have used new leadership years ago. With Chaves, hopefully it happens sooner rather than later. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2