SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

3 minutes ago, ibleedgreen said:

Yeah, under Brian Faison? No !@#$. I wouldn't have given Brian Faison my used toilet paper let alone cash to spend.

The new AD (whoever they are) will motivate the donors after they realize the big picture. Making the Big Dance year after year and getting an occasional big dance upset is bigger than anything the football or hockey team could do from a national attention standpoint.

That's a lot of speculation there. Have they even published the finalists yet?

Brian Jones had good timing last year. I doubt they'll fire him this year even if he lost every remaining game. I just don't think Kennedy would want to deal with that PR after cutting sports last year. 

Now I could see them firing him if if they do poorly in conference this year and start poorly next year. 

2 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

Brian Jones had good timing last year. I doubt they'll fire him this year even if he lost every remaining game. I just don't think Kennedy would want to deal with that PR after cutting sports last year. 

Now I could see them firing him if if they do poorly in conference this year and start poorly next year. 

Nope, but reading twitter from Tom Miller it could come as early as tomorrow. 

Only way it happens if a four letter organization comes knocking and states, your basketball program has a problem.

1 minute ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

When will we be done b*tching about cutting sports that no one went to or followed but dumped a sh*t ton of money into them and also making it a reason for not spending money in the future.  Yes, this is a lot of speculation but look at this as an opportunity for everyone to reset, hire the right person and move the athletic department in the right direction rather than towards mediocrity. If they play a wait and see approach to the Coaching situation they will get burned. 60% of the time it happens all of the time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, petey23 said:

I think that was the benefit of Drick in that he could score a little down low and from mid range. He also saw the floor well and has a high basketball IQ. I have watched Wazzu a couple times this year and many times they rotate and run their offense through him at the top of the key. Being able to use Geno at the 1 or 2, Stewart at the 1,2 or 3, Seales at the 3 and 4 if we go small and using Drick at the 3,4, and 5, Jones at the 4 and 5, and Avants at the 5 would have changed the look of this team quite a bit and given us much more flexibility. Drick was the Swiss Army Knife.

Fair point. Wish UND had all 3 available. All of them had a skill set that would be really useful and help this team out.

9 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Nope, but reading twitter from Tom Miller it could come as early as tomorrow. 

Only way it happens if a four letter organization comes knocking and states, your basketball program has a problem.

I believe on-campus interviews were preliminary scheduled for next week, so Tom is likely correct.

1 hour ago, ibleedgreen said:

When will we be done b*tching about cutting sports that no one went to or followed but dumped a sh*t ton of money into them and also making it a reason for not spending money in the future.  Yes, this is a lot of speculation but look at this as an opportunity for everyone to reset, hire the right person and move the athletic department in the right direction rather than towards mediocrity. If they play a wait and see approach to the Coaching situation they will get burned. 60% of the time it happens all of the time.

Never. 

• Upvote 3

Last year UND started out the season 2-5 vs DI OOC teams, then got destroyed by PSU. They lost 3 conference games the rest of the year including a 6 game winning streak in February when a conference title was getting closer and closer. Its not out of reach yet, and this team could come together and get hot but why does this team have to struggle early every year. Can't we have consistency of the good kind in Brian Jones? We have 2 wins against DI opponents and have lost 8 straight against DI opponents this year. Is there a spark left in this team?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, petey23 said:

I think that was the benefit of Drick in that he could score a little down low and from mid range. He also saw the floor well and has a high basketball IQ. I have watched Wazzu a couple times this year and many times they rotate and run their offense through him at the top of the key. Being able to use Geno at the 1 or 2, Stewart at the 1,2 or 3, Seales at the 3 and 4 if we go small and using Drick at the 3,4, and 5, Jones at the 4 and 5, and Avants at the 5 would have changed the look of this team quite a bit and given us much more flexibility. Drick was the Swiss Army Knife.

Avants should be a 4, or a backup 5, he is too small, he has some good post moves and he plays hard but he is way overmatched at this level

3 hours ago, ibleedgreen said:

Yeah, under Brian Faison? No !@#$. I wouldn't have given Brian Faison my used toilet paper let alone cash to spend.

The new AD (whoever they are) will motivate the donors after they realize the big picture. Making the Big Dance year after year and getting an occasional big dance upset is bigger than anything the football or hockey team could do from a national attention standpoint.

Yes und will be the duke of the summit league....and all the other teams will be playing for second place...und will bring in 4 star recruits.pay their super coach 1 million a year so he will not take a better job....build a 15000 seat basketball arena to generate revenue...

1 hour ago, hoops44 said:

Yes und will be the duke of the summit league....and all the other teams will be playing for second place...und will bring in 4 star recruits.pay their super coach 1 million a year so he will not take a better job....build a 15000 seat basketball arena to generate revenue...

This is the attitude i hope our new AD comes to the plate with. If not they are just filling a void between Faison and the next AD after they are forced out.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Wouldn’t you rather have a young aspiring ad out to prove something then another lazy ad riding the wave to retirement?

Ultimately the question is what would you rather have since your club is calling the shots.  Surprised you have no inside info.