SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

8 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, I don't think it has an impact on the two player that left. But still, there is a right way to do stuff, and dragging out this process is not it. Isn't that what they did with football a few years back, and that certainly may have impacted some guys leaving. Of course when Hak left, they had a plan in place, and acted immediately. Now I am a big time hockey fan, but there is not reason these other sports, which are succeeding, should not be given some of the same attention and respect.

Totally agree. Everyone knew Jones was on his last year of his contract.  Faison should have had a plan in place well before the contract expired.  Sure the budget cuts threw a wrinkle into it.  But still, a contract to sign your head mens basketball coach should not take this long.  

21 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, I don't think it has an impact on the two player that left. But still, there is a right way to do stuff, and dragging out this process is not it. Isn't that what they did with football a few years back, and that certainly may have impacted some guys leaving. Of course when Hak left, they had a plan in place, and acted immediately. Now I am a big time hockey fan, but there is not reason these other sports, which are succeeding, should not be given some of the same attention and respect.

You're comparing resigning a coach to hiring a brand new coach?  

Football didn't have the in-house candidate that hockey did in their process so you can't compare those two.  But then to try and compare both to resigning a coach?

10 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Totally agree. Everyone knew Jones was on his last year of his contract.  Faison should have had a plan in place well before the contract expired.  Sure the budget cuts threw a wrinkle into it.  But still, a contract to sign your head mens basketball coach should not take this long.  

You admit the budget cuts had an effect but you have no clue to what extent so you just assume the effect wasn't that great? 

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Football didn't have the in-house candidate that hockey did in their process so you can't compare those two.  But then to try and compare both to resigning a coach?

You admit the budget cuts had an effect but you have no clue to what extent so you just assume the effect wasn't that great? 

I'm just saying the whole situation could be handled better. Seems strange to be sitting hear at the end of June an not know who your coach will be in a few months. Also saying that if this was hockey, it would have been handled differently. Just think your other sports and players deserve a little better than that.

4 minutes ago, southpaw said:

Re signing a coach is an easier process than hiring a new coach.  Maybe even easier than promoting a new coach.  Of course I don't know to what extent the budget cuts are having on Jones' new contract.  Of course it is affecting the amount and timing of it.  My point is that even dealing with the cuts, this deal should still not take this long.  The biggest reason may be Jones trying to negotiate a bigger deal than Faison or UND want o give him.  

7 minutes ago, southpaw said:

But even so, if budget couldn't sustain Jones, then you move on far earlier than June/July, when there are still more coaches available. and they have more time to get in and get their program up to speed.

What do we know? Do we know if they are negotiating salary? Years of contract? Talking to each other at all? Assistant coaches salary? Incentive compensation? Are we sure Jones is even wanted back or if Jones wants to come back? Do fans want Jones back? Seems like he was darn near the worst coach ever up till halfway through last year. Which coach is Jones - the one who started or ended last year? 

http://millersports.areavoices.com/2017/06/20/und-mens-basketball-offseason-off-to-rocky-start/

As for Jones, UND athletic director Brian Faison spoke to a Grand Forks community group Tuesday morning and said a new contract with Jones is completed. We’ve heard rumors that was the case for weeks, though, and I don’t know why it hasn’t been released yet. 

Everyone acts like UND should be held to a special standard relative to other Big Sky Conference and Summit Conference basketball programs. Would those other programs delay a men's basketball coach resigning like this? Very rarely, if ever. Unless more information comes out, UND has handled this resigning of a DI basketball coach in a relatively embarrassing fashion. The athletic department could use a rehaul and a new (younger) mind at the top would be a nice place to start.

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Everyone acts like UND should be held to a special standard relative to other Big Sky Conference and Summit Conference basketball programs. Would those other programs delay a men's basketball coach resigning like this? Very rarely, if ever. Unless more information comes out, UND has handled this resigning of a DI basketball coach in a relatively embarrassing fashion. The athletic department could use a rehaul and a new (younger) mind at the top would be a nice place to start.

Miller nails it here...

"Even if it is done, it’s a poor reflection of the program and the UND administration the way this has carried on. How many Division I men’s basketball coaches do you hear getting mini extensions to buy more time for negotiations?"

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

What was/is the holdup in getting the contract done? 

The new fiscal year is right around the corner, as is the end of Jones' mini-extension. Think those two are related?? I'd imagine so. For an athletic department that has no money, how do you sign a coach for an extension worth hundreds of  thousands of dollars? You wait for July 1st when the money (and budget) is available. Does UND need to go public with each step in the process? No, I don't believe they do. Is it strange it's taking this long? Sure, but if Jones wasn't being re-signed he'd be gone by now. The guy would be coaching elsewhere at this time of the year. 

50 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

The new fiscal year is right around the corner, as is the end of Jones' mini-extension. Think those two are related?? I'd imagine so. For an athletic department that has no money, how do you sign a coach for an extension worth hundreds of  thousands of dollars? You wait for July 1st when the money (and budget) is available. Does UND need to go public with each step in the process? No, I don't believe they do. Is it strange it's taking this long? Sure, but if Jones wasn't being re-signed he'd be gone by now. The guy would be coaching elsewhere at this time of the year. 

Yes, it is strange. I hope Mr. Jones and his staff and players can continue to perform at the level (top of the conference) now expected of them. 

Jones was underpaid for years...mid pack BSC Program , lowest paid coach....kudos to UND AD for getting by with lowest mens D1 Coach for years....he did blow it by not extending jones after very solid 2015/16 season....This contract will be Jones last at UND...either he does well enough to get a better job...or gets canned for being mediocre or less... Recent recruiting suggests the latter

22 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Jones was underpaid for years...mid pack BSC Program , lowest paid coach....kudos to UND AD for getting by with lowest mens D1 Coach for years....he did blow it by not extending jones after very solid 2015/16 season....This contract will be Jones last at UND...either he does well enough to get a better job...or gets canned for being mediocre or less... Recent recruiting suggests the latter

He was overpaid some years.

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Yes, it is strange. I hope Mr. Jones and his staff and players can continue to perform at the level (top of the conference) now expected of them. 

You mention expectations, and that's great.  But the college athletics world that I'm familiar with is the ones that fund their programs are the ones that have regular success.  Bubba and football is fully aware of this as well.  I'm not even alluding to salaries when I say that.  Let's take I-29 peers for example,  do they put more money towards basketball than UND does?   I think it's pretty safe to say that most of them do. Look at last year, for example, UND still had room on it's schedule for a game, and I think was trying desperately to get a home game.  The people I talked to said that SDSU was that team but said we'll play you but will pay you to come here.  I'm fairly certain UND Athletics had no money last year, let alone now moving forward, to counter and say.."no, you come here and we'll pay you".  Having a budget to bring in quality home opponents is just one example, of which I'm sure there are many.  But my observation is that any success, whether it be runs to the Big Sky semis or finals has largely been done by smoke and mirrors because of lack of financial support, and that this program continues to stick it's nose into the fray competitively more often than not in conference play is more often despite a lack of financial support rather than a product of financial support, speaks volumes for me, and that I applaud this staff and team.

22 minutes ago, the green team said:

Look at last year, for example, UND still had room on it's schedule for a game, and I think was trying desperately to get a home game.  The people I talked to said that SDSU was that team but said we'll play you but will pay you to come here.  I'm fairly certain UND Athletics had no money last year, let alone now moving forward, to counter and say.."no, you come here and we'll pay you".  

UND wanted to sign a home/home. What they were offering UND as "pay" to play a one time game in Brookings wasn't worth it.

7 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

What were they offering? It had to be less then the bus fare to not be worth it!

The team from my understanding at that time needed and wanted a home game to bolster their home schedule, something they routinely get criticized for, by some here.  My understanding is that they had already fulfilled the money game quota the athletic department sets upon it, by that time.  And you don't take any more money games than necessary, after all you are trying to pick up wins too, and in non-conference play, those more often than not come at home.  So the search for the home game was more paramount last year than taking a money road game at SDSU because they had already scheduled their $ games.   From my understanding the only 2 teams that are asked to go and get substantial money games off campus (because they are the only 2 who really can)  are Football (1 every year or every other year- correct me if I'm wrong) and Men's Basketball (2 or 3 every year, again correct me if I'm wrong)  I guess Men's Basketball could pull something like a Delaware State and play nothing but road money games in the months of November and December if you feel they aren't picking up enough of the slack already.  

1 minute ago, the green team said:

The team from my understanding at that time needed and wanted a home game to bolster their home schedule, something they routinely get criticized for, by some here.  My understanding is that they had already fulfilled the money game quota the athletic department sets upon it, by that time.  And you don't take any more money games than necessary, after all you are trying to pick up wins too, and in non-conference play, those more often than not come at home.  So the search for the home game was more paramount last year than taking a money road game at SDSU because they had already scheduled their $ games.   From my understanding the only 2 teams that are asked to go and get substantial money games off campus (because they are the only 2 who really can)  are Football (1 every year or every other year- correct me if I'm wrong) and Men's Basketball (2 or 3 every year, again correct me if I'm wrong)  I guess Men's Basketball could pull something like a Delaware State and play nothing but road money games in the months of November and December if you feel they aren't picking up enough of the slack already.  

No I was seriously curious of how much they offered. It's not like SDSU would have been a for sure loss. Would have been nice to get paid for a road win and quite possible last year IMO.