SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I would expect this same thing to happen with Craig Smith next year with him actually leaving.  Why?  Because all his transfers (4 of his top 5 scorers) are back so they will be good again and he will get a slightly better offer than Drake.  Three of those transfers are gone after next year.  

7 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Would love to know what Smith turned down for salary at Drake.  Giacoletti made 400k.

I would have to presume the offer to Smith was at least that.

What in the world must USD be paying Smith now to get him to stay?  300k-350k?

everytime i see the other nodak and sodak schools pay their coaches these large sums of money i keep asking myself "where does all of our damn money go!!!" bc it aint to our coaches!!

i just don' quite get it.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Would love to know what Smith turned down for salary at Drake.  Giacoletti made 400k.

I would have to presume the offer to Smith was at least that.

What in the world must USD be paying Smith now to get him to stay?  300k-350k?

Seen on twitter hes getting a 3 year deal worth $275,000

10 minutes ago, North Dakota said:

I'm not suggesting Berry is overpaid but rather the fact most of our other coaches are under paid. Jones has probably earned a healthy increase as well as his assistants. Bubba and his staff too for that matter.

Bubba and staff got theirs.  Jones and staff are up next.

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

Bubba and staff got theirs.  Jones and staff are up next.

Bubba and staff are still grossly underpaid. Check out the going rate of similar area schools (e.g., NDSU, SDSU, USD, Montana, Montana State). 

UND has plenty of work to do with their football and basketball programs in terms of salary and subsequent competitiveness. I've been around enough DI college athletics in this country to know those are the ones that matter to the masses. 

11 hours ago, NoDakFan said:

According to Tom Miller, Drake hired Furman coach. 

Good news for UND MBB fans, Drake hires Niko Medved 

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/26/drake-hires-furmans-niko-medved-to-be-new-head-coach/

So do we hear of Jones extension and raise with the coming budget news this week about athletics?

5 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Good news for UND MBB fans, Drake hires Niko Medved 

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/26/drake-hires-furmans-niko-medved-to-be-new-head-coach/

So do we hear of Jones extension and raise with the coming budget news this week about athletics?

They way Drake handled their coaching search made Faison's search for a football coach a few years back look competent.

Think from a PR standpoint they would wait on that.

1 hour ago, SWSiouxMN said:

They way Drake handled their coaching search made Faison's search for a football coach a few years back look competent.

Remember: Faison had to follow a State mandated hiring process. 

Drake is private; what's their excuse? :D 

3 hours ago, zonadub said:

So, when will it no longer be considered bad timing/poor taste to announce an extension and raises for Jones and his staff?

Anytime after now. The people bitching about the loss to WH don't go to the games, and don't understand economics. So announce it and get ready for off-season recruiting.

• Upvote 4

Not sure if the dust has officially settled yet from last Wednesdays announcement, but it is probably time to get Jones signed for an extension.  The cut mre than they had to to reinvest in other programs.  Men's basketball being one of them.  I would think Jones is set to get a pretty good pay bump.  $150,000 base with pay increases every year (similar to what Bubba got) as well as increases for his assistants is not out of the question.  I would think we would see something this week, but who knows.  they may wait till the dust has settled even more.  Still needs to get done sooner or later.

• Upvote 1