darell1976

Coach Jones?

3,147 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

So he was a terrible coach that deserved to be fired up until then, and now because he had a couple good months he should be paid more than Bubba?   I wouldn't complain about Brian Faison with that kind of philosophy. 

He admitted things weren't working and changed it up. They made a run, won the conference and got to the dance. Getting to the dance beating Weber 3 times is more than a couple good months. I would think Jones's new pay would be up towards Bubba...don't you?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sioux94 said:

If we didn't come back and beat Weber and make it to the dance, would this thread still be called Fire Jones?   Wouldn't surprise me if it was, and many would say he stinks and we need to get rid of him.  But a great comeback by the team in the conference championship game and within minutes he is one of the best FCS coaches and we need to keep him.  Gotta love fan bases sometimes.  I wonder if a Fire Berry thread will be started if he doesn't get us another Natty this year.  

He should be fired if they played like they did to start the year but Jones won over 20 games, won the regular season title, got to the dance in addition to beating Weber 3 times. That warrants a boost in pay and extension. The greatest season in Jones's career and in our DI history deserves recognition. As for a Fire Berry thread, leave that up to the Fire Hak people. (I never started a Fire Hak Thread).

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

He should be fired if they played like they did to start the year but Jones won over 20 games, won the regular season title, got to the dance in addition to beating Weber 3 times. That warrants a boost in pay and extension. The greatest season in Jones's career and in our DI history deserves recognition. As for a Fire Berry thread, leave that up to the Fire Hak people. (I never started a Fire Hak Thread).

Maybe Faison deserves a raise as well because we never would have got to the Dance if he went by prevailing wisdom. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, tnt said:

Maybe Faison deserves a raise as well because we never would have got to the Dance if he went by prevailing wisdom. 

He did get AD of the year. So I guess he deserves a raise, but not enough budget money for it. ;)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One blocked 3 point attempt....not priceless.

About $20,000 more a year for Jones?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't head coach compensation also be reflective of the staff and team's community and campus involvement? It seems that football has raised the bar on this since Coach Schweigert has lead the program. How does the bb staff and team stack up in involvement, both in the community and on campus, including support of the other UND athletic teams? Asking cuz I don't know.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zonadub said:

Shouldn't head coach compensation also be reflective of the staff and team's community and campus involvement? It seems that football has raised the bar on this since Coach Schweigert has lead the program. How does the bb staff and team stack up in involvement, both in the community and on campus, including support of the other UND athletic teams? Asking cuz I don't know.

That's a good question.  It is important to note that the football team should be more visible than basketball, simply because there are so many players and staff on the roster.  Take a look at the football players at the basketball games.  Basketball doesn't have enough participants to make an equivalent impact, as a whole, when it comes to supporting other teams. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know Hooker visits local schools (others may as well, just haven't noticed it being tweeted, etc.) and I remember seeing the majority of the bball team at football games.  Bubba has really breathed new life into the entire athletic department though, in my opinion anyway.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

I know Hooker visits local schools (others may as well, just haven't noticed it being tweeted, etc.) and I remember seeing the majority of the bball team at football games.  Bubba has really breathed new life into the entire athletic department though, in my opinion anyway.

I'm sure basketball does its fair share but when it comes to Bubba he is the best PR guy UND has. Combine that with being a great football coach and I would make the argument coach Schweigert might be UNDs most valuable employee. It would serve all UND coaches well to act like Bubba in this regard.

it could be a Tuesday night church supper in Harvey ND and it would not shock me at all to hear coach Schweigert was there promoting his team and UND.

Pretty cool when your football coach is great at that job but he's also the best pr and overall campus recruiter UND has. Probably the biggest fan of other UND sports too.

 

 

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Looks like Craig Smith is a finalist for Drake not our Jones.  At our level, a very good coach rises fast.  Is Mayville a coaching bastion ?  Lute Olson, Jacobson, Tim Miles, Craig Smith

http://espn991.com/rumor-mill-south-dakotas-craig-smith-a-finalist-for-drake-job/

Smith wanted the UND job badly when Jones got it. He's from Stephen and is an UND alum. He'll be at a power 5 school in 8-10 years. I'd bet money on it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, nodakhoops said:

Smith wanted the UND job badly when Jones got it. He's from Stephen and is an UND alum. He'll be at a power 5 school in 8-10 years. I'd bet money on it.

Nebraska if Miles gets the heave ho

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

If we didn't come back and beat Weber and make it to the dance, would this thread still be called Fire Jones?   Wouldn't surprise me if it was, and many would say he stinks and we need to get rid of him.  But a great comeback by the team in the conference championship game and within minutes he is one of the best FCS coaches and we need to keep him.  Gotta love fan bases sometimes.  I wonder if a Fire Berry thread will be started if he doesn't get us another Natty this year.  

All great points, but obviously the competency and work ethic of coaches makes a significant difference in the competitive advantage of DI collegiate basketball. If there really was no argument there, then the average salary of DI men's basketball coaches wouldn't be over $1 million (http://work.chron.com/average-salary-college-basketball-coach-2102.html). That is, if coaches were just a nice ornament on the sideline relative to the "real difference makers" on the court, the current average investment in coaching salary wouldn't exist. Further complicating the issue is UND has overall underpaid its DI head coaches (even Brian Jones) which has implied UND does not value winning in men's basketball (thus Jones has coached for over a decade at UND with a losing record). I am not saying that any level of coach criticism is warranted, but a certain degree of criticism is more than fair, in my opinion. If UND could have afforded to pay a men's basketball coach over $200k a couple years ago (priorities were elsewhere), then Jones would have already been gone. Jones NOW deserves an extension with a raise, along with an assistant coaching salary pool increase. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

And smith takes it. 

not so fast my friend

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, tnt said:

So when they have a bad few months starting next season you'll want him fired again and ask the question why they gave him a new contract?

What do you expect? darell1976 is gonna darell1976

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

 

Ironically, it could Miles he replaces if he has another bad year in Nebraska.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miles should know.  He tried to move up way too fast without having any lasting success.  Smith would have done the same thing.  

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Miles should know.  He tried to move up way too fast without having any lasting success.  Smith would have done the same thing.  

Nebraska is where bb coaches go to retire.  It's the furthest thing from a stepping stone to greatness.  With Northwestern's recent dance win, Nebraska is the only P5 that has never won an NCAA game.  Creighton bb is king until that turns.  The Drake job is similar to the Huskers bball for futility.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The crystal ball is saying Alford stays at UCLA, Indiana then hires Gregg Marshall, Wichita backfills that job with Craig Smith at a lower price point.  Wichita subsequently accepts a bid to the AAC and cranks up a football program again.  Read the tea leaves folks! :D

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now