SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

I enjoyed the story the announcers shared during last nights game talking about UND's coaching staff vs. Arizona's coaching staff.  Coach Jones said the only thing their staff is better at than Arizona's are bigger bellies and bald spots.  At least he seems to have a bit of a sense of humor at times...

27 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Is there enough talent behind the seniors that they can use this experience as a motivator and something to build on? 

Crandall has unusual talent for our level.  Sean Miller even stated that Hooker and Crandall were PAC12 level guards.   Stewart may be very good too, as well as other player development.

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Sign Jones within the week, give all assistance  salary increase also.

After the run in the regular season, conference tournament and the respectable game against Arizona, I also agree with your post. He seems to have this team playing unlike past years and even the beginning of this year. I want to see how this squad does not only next season but in the beginning of our Summit League era. 3 years plus $$$ and boost the assistant pay so they stay. Use this season as a stepping stone to many more dance trips.

Just now, darell1976 said:

After the run in the regular season, conference tournament and the respectable game against Arizona, I also agree with your post. He seems to have this team playing unlike past years and even the beginning of this year. I want to see how this squad does not only next season but in the beginning of our Summit League era. 3 years plus $$$ and boost the assistant pay so they stay. Use this season as a stepping stone to many more dance trips.

Stepping stone, that's good. Now I really think Jones is better than any coach we good get. Jones brought us through the tough years of transition to Div I and got us to today, end of another season, but what a difference.  He has potential to become an even better coach. I really like how he marched on the side lines and had control of a disciplined team. Also, he had to do the right things in practice. Hope he gets to continue to recruit, this year should even help that.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Stepping stone, that's good. Now I really think Jones is better than any coach we good get. Jones brought us through the tough years of transition to Div I and got us to today, end of another season, but what a difference.  He has potential to become an even better coach. I really like how he marched on the side lines and had control of a disciplined team. Also, he had to do the right things in practice. Hope he gets to continue to recruit, this year should even help that.

I like how Jones knew things weren't working (around the time conference play began) and changed it to the better. Will it continue, we will see. Also he brought tons and tons of noterity to the program. Everyone in this region was seeing our school in the dance, and that should help recruiting as now Jones can use the Dance trip as a recruiting tool. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

He needs to emphasize free throw shooting. Our team is not good enough. They're free points and if we were better at them we would have had a better chance at a win last night. Arizona pulled away thanks to their free throw dominance. 

It greatly improved than in past years, but agreed free throws are essential to winning a game and needs to be a big priority. 

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

He needs to emphasize free throw shooting. Our team is not good enough. They're free points and if we were better at them we would have had a better chance at a win last night. Arizona pulled away thanks to their free throw dominance. 

Jones does not shoot the free throws and believe they do practice free throws over and over.  The entire nation for the most part is lacking in good free throw shooting.  The emphasis is for super athletic players and the art of free throw shooting is being lost.  Jones has developed and learned as a coach and no doubt deserves a nice increase and extension. 

24 minutes ago, NODAK13 said:

Jones does not shoot the free throws and believe they do practice free throws over and over.  The entire nation for the most part is lacking in good free throw shooting.  The emphasis is for super athletic players and the art of free throw shooting is being lost.  Jones has developed and learned as a coach and no doubt deserves a nice increase and extension. 

Seems like players want to show off their dunking skills while neglecting their FT skills. They want to be Michael Jordan but end up like Shaq at the line.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NODAK13 said:

Of course he doesn't shoot them. But free throws have cost his teams a lot of games over the years. They aren't that hard and we don't have anyone other than Shanks who has any size excuse for sucking at the line.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Of course he doesn't shoot them. But free throws have cost his teams a lot of games over the years. They aren't that hard and we don't have anyone other than Shanks who has any size excuse for sucking at the line.

Yeah but it seems when we have a bad ft shooting game and lose because of it , its Jones fault.  Watched the other night were Duke shot like 12-24 from the line.  Guess that was coach K's fault.  Its just a lost art anymore and why some games we shoot ft's so good and the next game we can't make a ft.  Im sure coaches wish they had the answer but nobody does.

1 minute ago, NODAK13 said:

Yeah but it seems when we have a bad ft shooting game and lose because of it , its Jones fault.  Watched the other night were Duke shot like 12-24 from the line.  Guess that was coach K's fault.  Its just a lost art anymore and why some games we shoot ft's so good and the next game we can't make a ft.  Im sure coaches wish they had the answer but nobody does.

It's such a fragile psychological part of the game. Guys that shoot 42% plus from 3-pt range ... can't buy a basket at the line.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

It's such a fragile psychological part of the game. Guys that shoot 42% plus from 3-pt range ... can't buy a basket at the line.  

yup, and they are pretty much glorified form shooting. Its like hitting your driver off the tee, if you are not in rhythm at any part you are more than likely going to miss.

1 hour ago, NODAK13 said:

Have coach K's teams been terrible at free throws his whole career?

• Upvote 1

Maybe with Rick Barry's kid at Florida the stigma of underhand free throws will go away.  Points are points and if you don't have Steph Curry's form it's the easiest way to shoot them for high accuracy. I'd love to see Jones invite Barry up here and get us some more free publicity. 

1 minute ago, hoops44 said:

players are responsible for free throws...not coaches....too bad the a few blame their errors and faults on others too much reality TV  ...players own free throws

Think coaches could still help in "tweaking" their form a bit.   But you are about 95% right.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, hoops44 said:

players are responsible for free throws...not coaches....too bad the a few blame their errors and faults on others too much reality TV  ...players own free throws

But not turnovers, bad shots, discipline?  Free throws are part of coaching, players and coaches are both responsible. 

• Upvote 3