SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

17 minutes ago, CMSioux said:

I said at the beginning a thread entitled "Fire Coach's name" is a bad reflection on the fan base and hurts recruiting, to no avail. It's fine for those who need to criticize to have an outlet but it could have a name that is less hateful.

I agree, Darrel is a great BB fan and may be would take it on him self to change the name of his thread. May even just change the first word of this thread to Extend instead of Fire? This is a huge 3 year old thread with nearly 3K posts and 171K views. Most people that read about BB can't help but read this thread name every time, not the best PR for BB. This can be accomplished by having a moderator help.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

I agree, Darrel is a great BB fan and may be would take it on him self to change the name of his thread. May even just change the first word of this thread to Extend instead of Fire? This is a huge 3 year old thread with nearly 3K posts and 171K views. Most people that read about BB can't help but read this thread name every time, not the best PR for BB. This can be accomplished by having a moderator help.

I can delete it, and if the team goes into the tank again, I won't start another Fire XXX Thread. I will just let it take over game threads. Wow, I sounded like the first post of this thread 3 years ago.

25 minutes ago, Rebel_Sioux said:

I'm all for extending Jones after this breakout season, but Brewster has accomplished far more.

Not if the goal is to make the dance (which from the comments these past few days all that really matters anyways).

One more regular season championship in the Big Sky for Jones and they'll be tied there too.

12 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Not if the goal is to make the dance (which from the comments these past few days all that really matters anyways).

One more regular season championship in the Big Sky for Jones and they'll be tied there too.

If the goal is to make it to the dance then staying in the Big Sky is best.  Right now the Big Sky and Slummit are each 1 team conferences so

8 hours ago, Risky said:

Jones has as much as  said that he has made mistakes and that he is learning.  He deserves to keep going.  He has recruited talent and the players seem to love him.  Let's go Dancing.

Takes a big man to admit that he's made mistakes, especially in this day and age of unending egos.  Just as importantly, he's obviously learned from his mistakes.  He and his staff and team have had a great season.  I believe that he and his staff deserve an extension of 3yrs.and a raise.  Let's get on with recruiting and add to our first NCAA appearance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

That bold part must be you talking about NDSU....           Like it.

We just don't know what lies ahead. Which Jones will show up next season 8 win Jones or 23 win Jones. I really hope the 8 win Jones stays in the past forever and we see a lot more 20+ wins. Of course we are moving to the SL in 2018 so our wins automatically decrease with the powerful Bison, Coyotes, Jacks and the alphabet soup gang. Lol!

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, darell1976 said:

We just don't know what lies ahead. Which Jones will show up next season 8 win Jones or 23 win Jones. I really hope the 8 win Jones stays in the past forever and we see a lot more 20+ wins. Of course we are moving to the SL in 2018 so our wins automatically decrease with the powerful Bison, Coyotes, Jacks and the alphabet soup gang. Lol!

We're hoping for the 20+ Jones, he's done a terrific job since that four game skid. Now for this
"alphabet soup gang", we have one more year to toughen up for them. We'll be ready, I think it's more like them wondering, wow, UND is going to be some strong competition.........                                   I'm looking forward to this noise!

These last 3 games were a real treat, Thanks MBB team.

3 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

We're hoping for the 20+ Jones, he's done a terrific job since that four game skid. Now for this
"alphabet soup gang", we have one more year to toughen up for them. We'll be ready, I think it's more like them wondering, wow, UND is going to be some strong competition. I'm looking forward to this noise!

These last 3 games were a real treat, Thanks MBB team.

I hope to see what Coach Jones can do with a new conference, new (old) rivals, and a new group of guys cutting the nets down in Sioux Falls.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I think UND will be okay next season, projected return of 3 starters in the lineup and Seales and Shanks from the bench as decent to significant contributors.  Seales gets bumped to a starting role and the transfer Stewart gets the other spot. depth of the Bench is going to need to find a new player or two.  If they can get production from the bench and Stewart is as advertised, they will win a lot games and be in the mix with the top teams in the Sky next year. 

League will be tougher next year with Idaho, Weber, Montana, and MSU all going to be very good.  Sac State and PSU won't be too bad either.  Projected it right now, I'd say UND would be battling for the 4th spot with MSU.  Get a better idea once we get through the transfer/coaches leaving/etc part of the season.  If Hall leaves MSU, changes the dynamics a bit.

Wouldn't say they are going to repeat, but when Reno comes around they are more than capable of making a run.

Now lets hope nobody from UND leaves this year for a change.

9 minutes ago, green_sioux said:

I guess I disagree with your premise.  I don’t think the fact that UND men won 22 games so far this season is a result of Jones suddenly becoming a better coach, motivator, recruiter, etc.   There are so many things that go into each team and each season, that to break it down to so simple an idea is flawed.   Sure, coaches continually learn and evolve, but they aren’t dumb coaches one year and brilliant coaches the next.   Bill Belichick is a great coach even in bad years for his team, there are just dozens of circumstances that go into making it a great year or a bad year.

If you’ve never played, coached or recruited at the college athletics level you can’t even imagine the things that go into a team’s success.  Of course, getting good players to come to UND is critical.  But, these young college student athletes are each unique.  Personality, ability, classroom aptitude, effort, desire, homesickness, parents, girlfriends, maturity, etc., all play a part, and they are different for each kid.   Chemistry among a group of kids is hard to define.   Coaching staff, of course, is another critical element.  It’s clear this group of players and coaches has some real chemistry.

I believe Jones has tried to assemble the best combination of athletes and good young men, each and every recruiting class.  Being a school known for hockey, in one of coldest, remote locations puts us at a small disadvantage in a lot of recruiting battles.   We do well once a kid visits and sees what UND has to offer, but we do miss out on kids who decline to even consider UND.   I’ve talked to former UND athletes who have said they visited UND knowing they would never accept an offer here, but after visiting and meeting the staff and seeing the facilities, plus seeing the quality of the education UND offered, they jumped at the chance to come here.   And they remain proud they did decades later.

I think this team is a reflection of that.  I love watching Avants.  His intensity and effort on the court remind me of a lot of the intense Sioux BB players of the past, Clausen, S Brekke, etc.   The fact that Jones got him to come here from OK was great.   But, if Connor was 2 or 3 inches taller, with his ability, he would be playing at a major university, we wouldn’t have been able to land him.   Shanks had limited options when he transferred and as a result we were able to get him.   Bernstine had a coaching connection and we were able to bring him in.  I think Huff was another example from year’s past, if he would have been a couple inches taller and 25 pounds heavier, I think he would have been a star at a major basketball school.  Over the years, we’ve had some great kids who were a good fit for UND basketball.

This team is an amazing collection of guys that maybe were overlooked a little by other schools.  Some unique stories.  But, they bought into Jones’ style and in talking to several of them over the last couple  years, they love the staff and couldn’t be prouder to be representing UND.  

One thing this season might do is make it easier to compete for some of those good young men, who have many D1 options for their playing career, to now consider UND as one of the programs they want to compete at.   This season can really help in the recruiting process going forward. 

Just my thoughts as one of those “gray haired guys” who has followed Sioux basketball for over 50 years.  Can’t wait to watch the UND – Arizona game!   Win or lose, I think it will be a great night for UND basketball going forward.

Finally someone with some knowledge and common sense

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, green_sioux said:

I guess I disagree with your premise.  I don’t think the fact that UND men won 22 games so far this season is a result of Jones suddenly becoming a better coach, motivator, recruiter, etc.   There are so many things that go into each team and each season, that to break it down to so simple an idea is flawed.   Sure, coaches continually learn and evolve, but they aren’t dumb coaches one year and brilliant coaches the next.   Bill Belichick is a great coach even in bad years for his team, there are just dozens of circumstances that go into making it a great year or a bad year.

If you’ve never played, coached or recruited at the college athletics level you can’t even imagine the things that go into a team’s success.  Of course, getting good players to come to UND is critical.  But, these young college student athletes are each unique.  Personality, ability, classroom aptitude, effort, desire, homesickness, parents, girlfriends, maturity, etc., all play a part, and they are different for each kid.   Chemistry among a group of kids is hard to define.   Coaching staff, of course, is another critical element.  It’s clear this group of players and coaches has some real chemistry.

I believe Jones has tried to assemble the best combination of athletes and good young men, each and every recruiting class.  Being a school known for hockey, in one of coldest, remote locations puts us at a small disadvantage in a lot of recruiting battles.   We do well once a kid visits and sees what UND has to offer, but we do miss out on kids who decline to even consider UND.   I’ve talked to former UND athletes who have said they visited UND knowing they would never accept an offer here, but after visiting and meeting the staff and seeing the facilities, plus seeing the quality of the education UND offered, they jumped at the chance to come here.   And they remain proud they did decades later.

I think this team is a reflection of that.  I love watching Avants.  His intensity and effort on the court remind me of a lot of the intense Sioux BB players of the past, Clausen, S Brekke, etc.   The fact that Jones got him to come here from OK was great.   But, if Connor was 2 or 3 inches taller, with his ability, he would be playing at a major university, we wouldn’t have been able to land him.   Shanks had limited options when he transferred and as a result we were able to get him.   Bernstine had a coaching connection and we were able to bring him in.  I think Huff was another example from year’s past, if he would have been a couple inches taller and 25 pounds heavier, I think he would have been a star at a major basketball school.  Over the years, we’ve had some great kids who were a good fit for UND basketball.

This team is an amazing collection of guys that maybe were overlooked a little by other schools.  Some unique stories.  But, they bought into Jones’ style and in talking to several of them over the last couple  years, they love the staff and couldn’t be prouder to be representing UND.  

One thing this season might do is make it easier to compete for some of those good young men, who have many D1 options for their playing career, to now consider UND as one of the programs they want to compete at.   This season can really help in the recruiting process going forward. 

Just my thoughts as one of those “gray haired guys” who has followed Sioux basketball for over 50 years.  Can’t wait to watch the UND – Arizona game!   Win or lose, I think it will be a great night for UND basketball going forward.

Excellent write up.  I too have been very impressed with Avants.  He always plays bigger than he his and two more years to go.  This year will help recruiting quite a bit.  One thing I will add.  Is free throw and rebounding.  Both are much better this year than in the recent past years.  Free throws by Brenstine, shanks, Baldwin and Seales have all improved the last 10 games or so.  Most would say this is individual.  that many players to improves suggest more emphasis by coaches.

Yup - just like parenting you can't take all the credit and you can't take all the blame with your kids.

Amazing how when a team makes free throws in crucial sitatuations, rebounds, buries shots - they win. There are also your assistant coaches that are bringing skills and coaching to the table.  This was a fantastic season - coach doesn't get all the credit and there were some very bad losses - coaches doesn't get all the blame. 

It all came together this year and the talent pool is looking solid for the future. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, green_sioux said:

This is a great write up, You touched on this next statement, I'd add - Jones is young, made some mistakes, and is still learning as a coach, and may be getting close to being a polished coach. We need to sign him. 

You are right, so many things come into play and especially to have that special team. The coach brings all the assets together to assemble the team, and has a plan.

Ditto on your last paragraph.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

A poster on Drakenation said Jones applied but was turned down for an interview.  Apparently, Drake has its eyes on a Creighton assistant.

Let's start treating Jones and staff to a decent salary and future.

Do you really think he formally applied and then was told he isn't going to get an interview?  Probably made a call and found that out.  

27 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Do you really think he formally applied and then was told he isn't going to get an interview?  Probably made a call and found that out.  

Another poster said that.  A private school AD has a lot more leeway on hiring.  Jones could have talked to the AD, and gotten an immediate response.  Take it up on Drakenation please.