SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

Winning is about first and foremost about recruiting  then player retention,injuries, team chemistry,  bench coaching, game prep,   and a bit of luck.  Hayford of EW does not grab a stud grad transfer each of the last 2 years they struggle ...Bill Evans Has been named COY 4 imes last year was BSC COY and NABC  COY...this year he is a bottom feeder....after 30 years of coaching he certainly knows how to coach ....Pitino at Mn is Big Ten COY they finished 4th.. this season last 2 years the haters thought he could not coach his way out and should be thrown to the curb....now they like some here are eating crow... Winning entails a lot more then x's and o's a heck of a lot more....Every D1 HC out there know the X'S and O'S  you just do not fall into a HC job at this level....Putting together a staff ,selling the program, the location and the school to the recruits required to compete at the highest level on a yearly basis is the tough part....With Weber Basketball is King and the[r fans have every logical right to expect perennial success , Montana has the number 2 hoops program in the BSC....after that it is up for grabs and the AD that puts the most into it and prioritizes it the most should expect  commesurate results.  If Jones was a bad x and o/game prep and or game coach they would be a perennial bottom feeder in BSC  and would never win BSC title and Tourney...That is why people who know the game rarely blame coaching...Coaching is not Brain Surgery ..  Rarely folks who rip coaches coaching ability are  able to point their finger at and X and O flaw....they simply look at the end result and blame the coach...a very juvenile level of discernment

12 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Winning is about first and foremost about recruiting  then player retention,injuries, team chemistry,  bench coaching, game prep,   and a bit of luck.  Hayford of EW does not grab a stud grad transfer each of the last 2 years they struggle ...Bill Evans Has been named COY 4 imes last year was BSC COY and NABC  COY...this year he is a bottom feeder....after 30 years of coaching he certainly knows how to coach ....Pitino at Mn is Big Ten COY they finished 4th.. this season last 2 years the haters thought he could not coach his way out and should be thrown to the curb....now they like some here are eating crow... Winning entails a lot more then x's and o's a heck of a lot more....Every D1 HC out there know the X'S and O'S  you just do not fall into a HC job at this level....Putting together a staff ,selling the program, the location and the school to the recruits required to compete at the highest level on a yearly basis is the tough part....With Weber Basketball is King and the[r fans have every logical right to expect perennial success , Montana has the number 2 hoops program in the BSC....after that it is up for grabs and the AD that puts the most into it and prioritizes it the most should expect  commesurate results.  If Jones was a bad x and o/game prep and or game coach they would be a perennial bottom feeder in BSC  and would never win BSC title and Tourney...That is why people who know the game rarely blame coaching...Coaching is not Brain Surgery ..  Rarely folks who rip coaches coaching ability are  able to point their finger at and X and O flaw....they simply look at the end result and blame the coach...a very juvenile level of discernment

Investing in a program can be more than just coaches salaries.  Lots of good coaches out there that would love to have a fully funded program with FCOA, a gym much better than a high school gym that fans attend and have a great atmosphere, weight facilities.  Jones may not be paid the best but he has some great recruiting tools.  That's why I don't feel bad for him.

He has also done plenty to draw criticism for his coaching.  His next step will be success OOC. He has struggled throughout his career but has also faced some challenges with nickname and conference (Great West) that made it difficult. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, homer said:

Investing in a program can be more than just coaches salaries.  Lots of good coaches out there that would love to have a fully funded program with FCOA, a gym much better than a high school gym that fans attend and have a great atmosphere, weight facilities.  Jones may not be paid the best but he has some great recruiting tools.  That's why I don't feel bad for him.

He has also done plenty to draw criticism for his coaching.  His next step will be success OOC. He has struggled throughout his career but has also faced some challenges with nickname and conference (Great West) that made it difficult. 

exactly what part of his coaching is the problem and why

14 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This team went from street ballin' to a disciplined but creative style of play.  If Jones himself or one of his assistants paved the way for that, more power to Jones.  People are redeemable and they are capable of change.  Maybe it was the power of the players faith and leadership that transformed the team, more than the coaches.  Faison will have to determine that.

This

29 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

This team went from street ballin' to a disciplined but creative style of play.  If Jones himself or one of his assistants paved the way for that, more power to Jones.  People are redeemable and they are capable of change.  Maybe it was the power of the players faith and leadership that transformed the team, more than the coaches.  Faison will have to determine that.

I've been as hard on Coach Jones as many have on here.  Just read Colter's story from last nights game, which is a great read btw.  I found this part to be interesting and maybe, just maybe Jones is figuring out what it takes for UND to be successful...

“As a coach, this is why we do what we do,” Jones said. “A couple of years ago, I got away from what works for me and what works for North Dakota as far as player. I had to go through that valley as a coach, we had to go through that valley as a program to get to where we are today. I got back to what works for North Dakota and what’s working in the Big Sky.”

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, dmksioux said:

I've been as hard on Coach Jones as many have on here.  Just read Colter's story from last nights game, which is a great read btw.  I found this part to be interesting and maybe, just maybe Jones is figuring out what it takes for UND to be successful...

“As a coach, this is why we do what we do,” Jones said. “A couple of years ago, I got away from what works for me and what works for North Dakota as far as player. I had to go through that valley as a coach, we had to go through that valley as a program to get to where we are today. I got back to what works for North Dakota and what’s working in the Big Sky.”

And he went from 8 wins to 22. He has improved the quality of this team. He made players get away from ballin and play like a team. I hope this continues for seasons to come. 

Jones is the best option for a coach that we have for next year. Who could we realistically pick up to replace him? Jones has brought us into the Div I era of MBB.  Give him an extension and a raise this week, he could go else ware. Schools that care always find the money, President Kennedy cares, he was in Reno.

C6sJY7vVoAAE7AP.jpg

• Upvote 1

Extend Jones, give him a raise, and INCREASE THE PAY FOR HIS ASSISTANTS! 

Reaching this current feeling of UND pride (NCAA tourney appearance) should be the goal every single season; Jones has now shown he can get us there via the BSC so extend him. We'll eventually see how it goes in the Summit. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

But hasn't Brewster made the dance as well?

Yes both have made the dance once. Brewster made the dance at home. League changed the rules afterwards and Jones had to win at Neutral site.

Minus those seasons...

Jones has been in the championship game and the semifinals twice.

Brewster has not played in the championship game and only made the semifinals once.

When not reaching the goal...Jones has shown he's more capable than Brewster at getting closer to it.

5 hours ago, ChrisUND1 said:

Could we change the title to something else? "The evolution of Coach Jones" or something else?

I said at the beginning a thread entitled "Fire Coach's name" is a bad reflection on the fan base and hurts recruiting, to no avail. It's fine for those who need to criticize to have an outlet but it could have a name that is less hateful.

• Upvote 4

On March 5, 2017 at 9:06 PM, darell1976 said:

You are right. Richmond in his first year lost to Gonzaga by 10 in the dance. Not bad for a first year coach. Not to mention winning 23 games. Jones in his first year went 11-17 overall, 3-10 in the conference and tied for 5th place in the NCC. Both resumes are almost equal.

Not even close.  I'm not defending nor condemning his early years but the support including institutional support, financial support, fan support and marketing was much better at the AC in Richman's early years than Jones.  I don't know if Kennedy will be any better than his predecessors but a conference title, and decent recruiting will get you a new contract.  The players seem to like playing here.  He certainly has earned his extension.