SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

51 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

Although we have had a very nice year thus far (I am very proud of the team), I don't think Jones has any leverage.  He was told last spring that he would have been let go if not for the budget crunch.  Jones does not have the reputation of being a good coach - other BSC schools have continued to hope that we retain him as we have had good talent in the past few years with so-so results.  In other words, I don't think ADs around the country have a great deal of confidence in his ability - especially after they would do their due diligence.  

That said, if we make the Dance, Jones deserves an extension!    

This all sounds very logical and truthful to me. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

If you care to send my a private e-mail, I will gladly do so.

zero percent chance of what you said being true...last few years Jones has out performed most BSC coaches...furthermore i can provide quotes from other coaches referring to und as being well coached ...To think other coaches sit around and hope that a coach does not get canned because he has won more games than they have is asinine

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

In the past 5 seasons since being in the Big Sky, UND has finished in the top 5 in 4 of those years.  Winning the Regular season this year.  UND has reached at least the semifinals of the conference tournament 3 of the past 4 years.  UND won the regular season title this year.  Sure Jones has a horrible non conference record.  But in a mid major/one bid league, it's all about the conference play.  That determines byes and seeding for the conference tournament.  Only thing that non conference determines is what your seeding will be based on your RPI if you make the NCAA's.

That being said, I am not giving a free pass to to what Jones has (or hasn't) accomplished in non conference play.  But looking at the Big Sky results, and given that they just won the regular season title, I don't think Faison can justify firing Jones.  Make the NCAA Tournament and there is zero chance!

3 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

In the past 5 seasons since being in the Big Sky, UND has finished in the top 5 in 4 of those years.  Winning the Regular season this year.  UND has reached at least the semifinals of the conference tournament 3 of the past 4 years.  UND won the regular season title this year.  Sure Jones has a horrible non conference record.  But in a mid major/one bid league, it's all about the conference play.  That determines byes and seeding for the conference tournament.  Only thing that non conference determines is what your seeding will be based on your RPI if you make the NCAA's.

That being said, I am not giving a free pass to to what Jones has (or hasn't) accomplished in non conference play.  But looking at the Big Sky results, and given that they just won the regular season title, I don't think Faison can justify firing Jones.  Make the NCAA Tournament and there is zero chance!

Big Sky basketball is as bad as it gets. Being near the top doesn't mean a damn thing. 

• Upvote 3

What a great reflection on Sioux Sports (which we have learned does not reflect the opinion of the general fan base) that the most active thread is the one to fire the coach after the best season in DI history. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, UND-1 said:

UND does.  And they love it.  Postseason baby! 

und does not have to go....If the AD was so worried about buying out last season of Jones contract he could have saved a few bucks by turning down CIT...and brought in better coach who could recruit with a multi year contract....your narrative about about Jones is completely lame

22 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

zero percent chance of what you said being true...last few years Jones has out performed most BSC coaches...furthermore i can provide quotes from other coaches referring to und as being well coached ...To think other coaches sit around and hope that a coach does not get canned because he has won more games than they have is asinine

End of conversation - if you have the balls to send me an e-mail, I can provide you with more info.  I will now do something that will bring me great joy and I recommend others follow suit.  You are now on my "Ignore" list.

One last thing - as I have said earlier, you have some good thoughts and I think you truly think that you care about UND and its athletic programs (at times, I am not sure).  I don't understand why you purposefully try to continually antagonize other people who also care about UND.  People can disagree without the name-calling, belittling, etc.  If you act this way in your day-to-day life, I pity those around you and I pity you!   

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, CMSioux said:

What a great reflection on Sioux Sports (which we have learned does not reflect the opinion of the general fan base) that the most active thread is the one to fire the coach after the best season in DI history. 

You are 100% correct.  I have been one of the guilty parties - I will behave!!!