SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

1 hour ago, UNDhoops said:

we will have to agree to disagree on not getting weber or montana talent. maybe not year in and year out like they do, but often enough to where they should be competing every year.

or you can look at verbal commits ...and see recruit ratings and offer lists

27 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

or you can look at verbal commits ...and see recruit ratings and offer lists

after the top 100 these kids are mostly the same, and i'm not going to put any stock in rankings of kids when the recruiting services watch the non elite guys like twice per year.

11 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

after the top 100 these kids are mostly the same, and i'm not going to put any stock in rankings of kids when the recruiting services watch the non elite guys like twice per year.

Not to mention, the guys who rank the players will change their ratings....for example, if a 2 star recruit in the minds of the recruiting service gets an offer from a Duke or Kentucky, now all of a sudden he is a 4 star.

35 minutes ago, UNDhoops said:

Agreed. They are actually not watching at all. Ratings are simply a direct reflection of which schools have offered scholarships. It's a dumb !@#$ show really designed simply to make some money. 

1 hour ago, petey23 said:

Not to mention, the guys who rank the players will change their ratings....for example, if a 2 star recruit in the minds of the recruiting service gets an offer from a Duke or Kentucky, now all of a sudden he is a 4 star.

not really ...have any examples???

2 hours ago, UNDhoops said:

wrong.....Many players are watched quite often on the AAU circuit.  The further down the list you go ratings get dicier .... offer lists however are valid opinions of trained evaluators and D1 coaches see a kid before they offer

Not enough of UND supporters are satisfied with Jones' success. He has been here 10 years, time for a change. There's 100 reason to keep him and another 100 not too.

How about:

Brian Jones gets his $100,000 for this season and after finishing the season/playoffs, he's done. Under the radar, Faison goes to work now, and finds a HC before the season ends. The new HC is announced soon after our last game. Everything is in place before we even know what our season ending success is. Seem strange to some of you, think back 1 month 1 day?

Remember Danny Rocco, the U Richmond FB coach that we played Dec 3 at the Hawks' Nest and how the UND fans on the catwalk were giving him the business (about taking HC job at Delaware). That story was kept pretty hush hush, till someone in Delaware leaked it the week we played Richmond. geaux_sioux knows how Rocco fired back at the fans after our game. Richmond fans were in shock of such a rumor and most didn't believe it, because both administrations kept it quiet. Rocco's decision was to finish the season at Richmond, and therefor Richmond new they had to pay him. Sure they could of fired him, but still had to pay. Still had to pay him, sound familiar?  Richmond was actively looking for a replacement under the radar while they were playing us. They found U Tenn Chattanooga coach Russ Huesman. Talk about a message board going ballistic, go to Spidernation.

Richmond could of won the Natty, but Rocco was gone.

1 minute ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Not enough of UND supporters are satisfied with Jones' success. He has been here 10 years, time for a change. There's 100 reason to keep him and another 100 not too.

How about:

Brian Jones gets his $100,000 for this season and after finishing the season/playoffs, he's done. Under the radar, Faison goes to work now, and finds a HC before the season ends. The new HC is announced soon after our last game. Everything is in place before we even know what our season ending success is. Seem strange to some of you, think back 1 month 1 day?

Remember Danny Rocco, the U Richmond FB coach that we played Dec 3 at the Hawks' Nest and how the UND fans on the catwalk were giving him the business (about taking HC job at Delaware). That story was kept pretty hush hush, till someone in Delaware leaked it the week we played Richmond. geaux_sioux knows how Rocco fired back at the fans after our game. Richmond fans were in shock of such a rumor and most didn't believe it, because both administrations kept it quiet. Rocco's decision was to finish the season at Richmond, and therefor Richmond new they had to pay him. Sure they could of fired him, but still had to pay. Still had to pay him, sound familiar?  Richmond was actively looking for a replacement under the radar while they were playing us. They found U Tenn Chattanooga coach Russ Huesman. Talk about a message board going ballistic, go to Spidernation.

Richmond could of won the Natty, but Rocco was gone.

Richmond is a private school and can set their own hiring policies. UND is part of North Dakota state government. They have to follow North Dakota hiring policies. That includes a full, open hiring process unless they are promoting a qualified person from within. That's why it took UND a month to hire Bubba to coach the football team, but only a couple of hours to hire Berry to coach the hockey team.

6 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Richmond is a private school and can set their own hiring policies. UND is part of North Dakota state government. They have to follow North Dakota hiring policies. That includes a full, open hiring process unless they are promoting a qualified person from within. That's why it took UND a month to hire Bubba to coach the football team, but only a couple of hours to hire Berry to coach the hockey team.

OK, let's go to the couple hour route. Or if it takes a month this spring, so be it. Delaware is Public, they hired Rocco.

52 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

OK, let's go to the couple hour route. Or if it takes a month this spring, so be it. Delaware is Public, they hired Rocco.

Every state has different hiring policies. North Dakota has probably among the most "transparent" policies. That's why everyone that applies for every job is public information, even for high level jobs like University Presidents and college coaches. The jobs have to be open and advertised for a minimum length of time (I think it's like 10 days or 2 weeks), then they have to have a process to score candidates, interview candidates, usually have second interviews, do background checks, etc. A lot of states and schools set up different policies for specific type positions. That's why the University of Minnesota could hire a football coach today if they wanted. North Dakota schools can't do that, unless the person is already on staff and is qualified for the position. I don't think anyone would say that any of the basketball assistants are good candidates for a Division I head coaching position right now.

11 minutes ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

Every state has different hiring policies. North Dakota has probably among the most "transparent" policies. That's why everyone that applies for every job is public information, even for high level jobs like University Presidents and college coaches. The jobs have to be open and advertised for a minimum length of time (I think it's like 10 days or 2 weeks), then they have to have a process to score candidates, interview candidates, usually have second interviews, do background checks, etc. A lot of states and schools set up different policies for specific type positions. That's why the University of Minnesota could hire a football coach today if they wanted. North Dakota schools can't do that, unless the person is already on staff and is qualified for the position. I don't think anyone would say that any of the basketball assistants are good candidates for a Division I head coaching position right now.

Thanks for the info, figured there was a no under the radar program. For most state jobs, that's fine, but for the likes of Presidents, coaches, and I'm sure some others, that needs to be changed; and I know that has been talked about many times. Just new I was going to get into trouble when I started typing that post. I appreciate you not shooting arrows at me, and giving me the straight up. Thanks Again.

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Thanks for the info, figured there was a no under the radar program. For most state jobs, that's fine, but for the likes of Presidents, coaches, and I'm sure some others, that needs to be changed; and I know that has been talked about many times. Just new I was going to get into trouble when I started typing that post. I appreciate you not shooting arrows at me, and giving me the straight up. Thanks Again.

You're right, there has been a lot of talk about the issue in the past. I am sure that the policy has prevented some very good candidates from applying for President positions as well as head coaching positions. It's unfortunate that the policy may have stopped North Dakota from getting the best people in those positions in at least some cases.

I know this isn't an appropriate post for this thread, but after my large post (6 back) about Coach Rocco; I taught, maybe the under the radar by Rocco, U Richmond and Delaware created the shut out in E. Washington? So, therefore "under the radar" may not be a good thing.

Wonder why Richmond couldn't score in E. Washington? Ya, E. Wash is good, it was cold, and they didn't bring the right cold weather gear. Well, really it could of been, they didn't have the will to win, not even their coaches (wonder why not right cold weather gear, that's on the coaches).  Complete meltdown.  After they left GF with a huge come from behind win, they learned they were kept in the dark about their coach leaving for Delaware, a conference foe. Just imagine if your a player and visiting GF in the playoffs and some of the UND fans know your coach is going to Delaware and you don't, and then you realize for sure in the next couple of days?????   Then you go to E. Wash.

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

Oddly enough,  Delaware isn't really public.  I haven't looked into it much,  but they are kinda a weird deal. 

Duke and Kansas both have players with 3 star ratings...your false narrative that they become 4 and 5 stars after they get the offer is bogus....or every signed player at a blue blood school would be a top 100 plus 5/4 star  kid...Wrong about Graham was 2 star as a Sr   signed with App St...grew taller got better  went  to prep school ...ratings and interest soared rivals closed 37 espn  a lower end 4*

11 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Duke and Kansas both have players with 3 star ratings...your false narrative that they become 4 and 5 stars after they get the offer is bogus....or every signed player at a blue blood school would be a top 100 plus 5/4 star  kid...Wrong about Graham was 2 star as a Sr   signed with App St...grew taller got better  went  to prep school ...ratings and interest soared rivals closed 37 espn  a lower end 4*

i am probably the biggest ku basketball fan on the planet. i know what happened. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, 82SiouxGuy said:

The jobs have to be open and advertised for a minimum length of time (I think it's like 10 days or 2 weeks), then they have to have a process to score candidates, interview candidates, usually have second interviews, do background checks, etc. 

Honest question because I don't know the answer:  After the requisite 10-14 day timeframe, is UND required to go through a national search committee?  Or could the AD look at the candidates after that timeframe and decide on a candidate himself after a few interviews and then send them through the appropriate HR protocol (background check, etc)?  

Is the "scoring process" formally required?  Or could an AD just say this is the guy I want and move on him after the timeframe?  Maybe the AD has a guy in mind who hasnt officially applied and headhunts him after the 10-14 timeframe?  Same thing there too?

If not, that could and should shorten the timeframe dramatically for the hiring process.  I still maintain that I dont believe there is any reason to have it drag out 36 days or whatever it was for the football hiring if an AD acts aggressively and pursues the guy he wants.

2 hours ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

Honest question because I don't know the answer:  After the requisite 10-14 day timeframe, is UND required to go through a national search committee?  Or could the AD look at the candidates after that timeframe and decide on a candidate himself after a few interviews and then send them through the appropriate HR protocol (background check, etc)?  

Is the "scoring process" formally required?  Or could an AD just say this is the guy I want and move on him after the timeframe?  Maybe the AD has a guy in mind who hasnt officially applied and headhunts him after the 10-14 timeframe?  Same thing there too?

If not, that could and should shorten the timeframe dramatically for the hiring process.  I still maintain that I dont believe there is any reason to have it drag out 36 days or whatever it was for the football hiring if an AD acts aggressively and pursues the guy he wants.

There isn't any legitimate reason.  The scoring system can be rigged and if you have someone chosen before the interviews, the interviews go pretty quick.  The issue with the Bubba hiring process was Faison had no clue what he was doing and truly didn't have a candidate in mind for the job when he fired Muss.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

There isn't any legitimate reason.  The scoring system can be rigged and if you have someone chosen before the interviews, the interviews go pretty quick.  The issue with the Bubba hiring process was Faison had no clue what he was doing and truly didn't have a candidate in mind for the job when he fired Muss.

We are very fortunate that Bubba applied for the FB head coaching position and was hired. We could have ended up with someone as bad as Muss.....or maybe even worse.

• Upvote 2