SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Jones?

darell1976

1 minute ago, hoops44 said:

If Jones had zero % chance of coaching next season any half wit would know that he would have been canned by now....If by chance UND gets a BSC title or NCAA bid seriously doubt he gets canned...

Well, no chance of either of those things happening.....

42 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

If Jones had zero % chance of coaching next season any half wit would know that he would have been canned by now....If by chance UND gets a BSC title or NCAA bid seriously doubt he gets canned...

I agree with this. Let's take it one step further, what happens if this team finishes Top 3 and makes a run to the Big Sky Title game and loses? Or gets back to another semifinal and loses?

I feel the same way as 95% of others do about Jones, but I don't think it's a slam dunk that he'll be fired.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, AJS said:

I agree with this. Let's take it one step further, what happens if this team finishes Top 3 and makes a run to the Big Sky Title game and loses? Or gets back to another semifinal and loses?

I feel the same way as 95% of others do about Jones, but I don't think it's a slam dunk that he'll be fired.

Final record plays a role for me, but assuming he's within a game or 2 of .500 (typical Jones year):

Semifinal loss or worse = can him

Title game loss or better = 1 year extension

21 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Final record plays a role for me, but assuming he's within a game or 2 of .500 (typical Jones year):

Semifinal loss or worse = can him

Title game loss or better = 1 year extension

My thoughts are this is like with Idalski, its NCAAs or nothing.  I don't think Faison would be dumb enough to extend his contact 1 more year when he could have done that last summer and stick a coach with a final year of a contact with 2 full recruiting cycles*. 

NCAA = 2+ year contract

any less = let go

*Before anyone else chimes in with this, Yes SD did have 1 year contacts but that practice has been since retired so that counter point is null and void

• Upvote 2

Let's say we finish 3rd in the Big Sky this year. You're gonna whack a guy that has finished 3rd, 2nd, 10th, 5th, and 3rd in conference play the last 5 years?  I doubt it. Hell, that's a better run then Matt Painter has had in the Big 10 the last 5 years. Sides have been picked though. No one is changing their mind on this board. 

I do agree with Hoops44 in that some folks on this board just love the drama. Want team to get whacked so they can bitch about Jones. You can deny it all you want but I know the type. Seen it for years on Gopherhole. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

The unfortunate comparison to NDSU is always looming.  Especially given their success.  But in the Past 10 years you have zero conference titles, zero NCAA tournament appearances, and zero 20 win seasons by Jones and UND, and 3 conference titles, 3 NCAA tournament appearances, and six 20 win seasons in that same time span by a team 70 miles down the road.  That is unacceptable. 

• Upvote 4

The best case scenario is UND wins the Big Sky tournament and a first round NCAA game in Dayton and he then gets hired by another MAC or Horizon school like XDSU coaches did and take him off our hands.  Jones is far from a program builder or rallying point for fans.

The Big Sky is rated almost last in conferences, and we are arguing about respectable?  The Big Sky is barely more respectable than the SWAC and MEAC.  If we played the top half of the NSIC, we'd be slaughtered, so we don't even schedule them.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, SiouxVolley said:

The best case scenario is UND wins the Big Sky tournament and a first round NCAA game in Dayton and he then gets hired by another MAC or Horizon school like XDSU coaches did and take him off our hands.  Jones is far from a program builder or rallying point for fans.

The Big Sky is rated almost last in conferences, and we are arguing about respectable?  The Big Sky is barely more respectable than the SWAC and MEAC.  If we played the top half of the NSIC, we'd be slaughtered, so we don't even schedule them.

take your meds

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

43 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

take your meds

So you arguing that the Big Sky performance hasn't been pathetic this year?  Take intelligence pills.

So why doesn't UND play respectable DII teams like Augie, Mankato, Northern, or Moorhead?  Again your need intelligence pills.  Those teams have better coaching than we do.

• Upvote 2

The largest ROI for our athletic dept is men's basketball.  More people would see them in a first round tourney game than any other sport/broadcast.  It needs to be treated as such if a new higher should be made.   Jones has done nothing to warrant a raise.  Very good recruiter (even in the tundra) so far an average coach and player developer.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

and now ... we turn to a story about my credibility

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Let's say we finish 3rd in the Big Sky this year. You're gonna whack a guy that has finished 3rd, 2nd, 10th, 5th, and 3rd in conference play the last 5 years?  I doubt it. Hell, that's a better run then Matt Painter has had in the Big 10 the last 5 years. Sides have been picked though. No one is changing their mind on this board. 

I do agree with Hoops44 in that some folks on this board just love the drama. Want team to get whacked so they can bitch about Jones. You can deny it all you want but I know the type. Seen it for years on Gopherhole. 

Are you going to whack a guy who has ZERO post season wins, lose to a transitioning DI team at home twice, have no conference titles, 4 winning seasons (3 of those in the Great West Conference), no wins against ranked teams, has won 4 games on the road against non-conference opponents (not including tournaments), and has a record of 130-174. Absolutely!!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

So you arguing that the Big Sky performance hasn't been pathetic this year?  Take intelligence pills.

So why doesn't UND play respectable DII teams like Augie, Mankato, Northern, or Moorhead?  Again your need intelligence pills.  Those teams have better coaching than we do.

Can you even get intelligence pills?  

• Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Are you going to whack a guy who has ZERO post season wins, lose to a transitioning DI team at home twice, have no conference titles, 4 winning seasons (3 of those in the Great West Conference), no wins against ranked teams, has won 4 games on the road against non-conference opponents (not including tournaments), and has a record of 130-174. Absolutely!!

Doesn't change anything I said earlier. You are one of the cats that gets off on us losing so you can get on this board and fire up the thread. You love it. You do. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Doesn't change anything I said earlier. You are one of the cats that gets off on us losing so you can get on this board and fire up the thread. You love it. You do. 

Just stop. You sound really stupid. I never want us to lose. You just can't stand it that Jones' sh*tshow is about to end. Are you still wishing Muss was coaching the football team?

• Upvote 1